Maasdam, Canada-New England Question

lkmamom

We are looking at this cruise for this summer. You have all been so helpful, i just wondered if someone could help us with a room selection question. We would like to get a veranda room. Are the rooms portside a better choice or does it really matter? Any help is very much appreciated! Thanks!

Linda

We are looking at this cruise for this summer. You have all been so helpful, i just wondered if someone could help us with a room selection question. We would like to get a veranda room. Are the rooms portside a better choice or does it really matter? Any help is very much appreciated! Thanks!

Linda

We loved that cruise! Check our report at

Canada/New England

I don't really remember that any particular side of the ship made much difference unless there is something special you want to see. Depending on the direction (Quebec/Boston or Boston/Quebec) one side might be to shore more than the other.

We loved the Lulu Lobster Boat in Bar Harbor. Recommend it thoroughly!

Have a GREAT cruise!

We did the Canada/New England cruise on Maasdam back-to-back this summer and both weeks were Starboard. We did it last year, back-to-back, and both weeks were Port. Both were great.

We are booked for it again next summer, back-to-back (a somewhat different itinerary) and booked port.

I don't think one side is better than the other for those cruises.

suppose it depends if you're left handed or a righty:)

I prefer port though especially when you cruise the river and reach the statue

my vote: port

2nd choice: starboard:D

I quite agree that Port side sees the Statue first but Captain Arjen van der Loo does a complete 360 degree turn with the ship so everyone gets a magnificent view.

He lingers plenty long for all of us to fully enjoy it.

The August 5, 2006 cruise was the most perfect cruising at the Fjords we have ever experienced. It was a warm, bright, sunny gorgeous day...about 4 to 4:30 P.M. when we arrived at the statue. The water was like glass. The ship slowly approached the statute and they began playing the Ave Maria. Our view was so heart stoppingly beautiful that later when speaking with the Captain, he, too, said it was quite an experience (though he certainly has seen it time and again) ...... I called it a 'moment in time.'

But it doesn't matter which side of the ship you are on.......you will fully and completely get to enjoy that sight (and you probably will never forget it....if you are so fortunate to be there on such a stunningly beautiful day.)

There were some on the ship who (while they fully enjoyed the whole cruise) said just that afternoon, that view, made their whole trip worth it.

JMO

-- for some unknown reason we always pick port side.

We're like you. Out of at least 60+ cruises (all cruise lines), we have only been starboard maybe 4 or 5 times and that was only because there was no suitable cabin available port side when we booked.

I have no idea why we always go port but it is now a habit.

Thanks everyone for your help. I guess was curious because like many of you we like the portside as well because we really enjoy watching as the ship pulls into port. I just wondered if the scenery was a little better port side but sounds like on this cruise either side is great!

I have been wanting to do this cruise forever.My husband and son are not that enthused about the trip but admit that it is my turn to choose a cruise. I can't wait to show them your pictures Mike.

Thanks for all of your help!

Linda

I like to watch from our veranda as we pull in and out of ports, also.

In the past, every time we were in Halifax, the ship was port side to the dock.

This August our cabin was starboard and I was disappointed I would not see/hear the pipers and proclamation read when we docked early in the morning.

Surprise, surprise....... They were working on the usual terminal and for some reason, the ship pulled in starboard side to the dock. So, we got to hear the pipers afterall. I had that little piece of disappointment the whole time after we booked the cruise thinking we would be on the 'wrong' side of the ship but turned out to be on the 'right' side. :)

Of course, Captain told me he turned the ship around just for me. :) Much as I'd like to believe that, I don't thiiiiiiink so!!!! :D

Archived