For those who have sailed from San Diego, Can I make this flight?

OceanFantasys

I have a lot of choices in flights but would prefer the earlier one. But I would like to hear from all of you who have done the Mexican Riviera out of San Diego. I have tried to access the port calender for days and it will not load for me to see how many cruises are in port on February 10th. I have a choice of a 11:50 flight or 1:30 flight. We are staying in a sc category so from my understanding we will be in one of the first groups to leave the ship. What do yall think? Think I can make that 11:50 flight? Also I am leaving next Sunday out of Fll and was wondering how many ships are in port on that return date which is Nov. 5th. Our flight on this day was a no choice coming home except for 4:30 pm. Can we ask to be the last off of the ship? I dont want to sit at the airport all day and if we do anything else we have to tote our luggage everywhere with us.. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Rhonda

Rhonda, if you can wait till the 26th of November I will tell you:D We will be getting off the Zaandam on Sunday the 26th and we too will be in a S Suite and our Southwest flight time is 11:50. I plan to check in on line the day before from the ship. If it goes well we do do the same time when we return from our Oosterdam cruise in March where we too will be in a SC. I chose this because I too did not want to wait till 1:30. I have done that 1:30 flight several times and spent a lot of hours waiting in the SD airport. The airport is so very close and since you will have priority debarkation there really should not be a problem.

Rhonda,

I have made 9:30 AM flights out of SanDiego after disembarking and see no reason why you should not make an 11:50 flight, even with potential immigration delays. There is however a risk, the ship could be late returning to port and then, all bets are off.

As for FLL departures, you might consider renting a car for the day or dropping off your luggage at the airport and then head back into town for lunch and perhaps tooling around on the water taxi.

According to Cruisecal.com:

On November 5, the following ships will be in FLL

Westerdam

Caribbean Princess

Radiance of the Seas

On February 10, the Oosterdam is the only ship in SAN.

The port is basically next to the airport, so a flight at 11:50am

should not be a problem unless there is some very unusual situation.

Happy sailing.

Also I am leaving next Sunday out of Fll and was wondering how many ships are in port on that return date which is Nov. 5th. Our flight on this day was a no choice coming home except for 4:30 pm. Can we ask to be the last off of the ship? I dont want to sit at the airport all day and if we do anything else we have to tote our luggage everywhere with us.. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Rhonda

Rhonda - We will be on the Westerdam with you and have a 4:30 flight also. We are planning on taking one of the HAL excursions that ends at the airport. They can only be bought on the ship but we get to extend the cruise by a few hours and end at the airport. I did this in LA last May and it was great from convience standpoint and as a first time LA visitor.

Oh MY:eek: That is far more riskey. I will really be interested to see how that goes.:)

I spent almost 25 years flying almost weekly and as such, cutting it close becomes a way of life, a sport, if you will. This drives DH nuts as he is one who likes to arrive 2-3 hours before a flight.

Wow fast responses ! I appreciate your answers. Fll sounds like it will be busy busy busy on port day with 3 large ships and over 6000 passengers. I guess it's a good thing we have a late flight. We had a choice of 10:30 but everyone said no way don't chance it so we took 4:30.. I am going to ask to be off of the ship last since we can stay in our rooms. We are doing pre cruise at the Renassiance so we will do the water taxi and all of the sights before cruising..

As for San Diego. Thanks so much for checking cruisecal for me.. I don't know why it want load on my end.. One ship in port sounds great and I am heading to AA to book now.. We have one round trip airline ticket to use with our miles. I only hope it's not one of their black out dates.. Thanks again everyone for quick responses.. I am very excited to sail with Hal.. Looking forward to making it my new home cruiseline..

Rhonda

Maggie I bet we are on the same flight.. are you flying into DFW? I am going to look into those excursions for the last day.. I think they offer two in Florida... I'm so excited about our Halloween cruise. This will be my first cruise with HAL but not my last. Heck I haven't even been on any of the DAM ships and already booked my second cruise with them.. It's all thanks to all of your reviews.. I am a hooked.. lol

Rhonda

February is winter in San Diego, which can mean heavy rain. That goes for northern Mexico too. Please consider the later flight in case the ship is delayed from heavy seas/wind or there is problem with the inbound flights due to weather.

We made a noon Southwest flight after leaving the Oosterdam. We were the only ship in port.

On another occasion, a friend was on different cruise from San Diego. There were other ship(s) in port and she cut it really close getting to the airport for that same flight, mainly because there was a lack of cabs.

And if you think that you're going to be pressed for time, cab is a lot faster than HAL transfer. (assuming availability)

Archived