Live From the Crown 10/18

ErinsMommy

You'll have to wait until we can report that for you on the 11/4 sailing as the Crown is currently doing 9 night sailings and after 11/4 will be doing the 7 night sailings.

I promise to do a "live from" thread once onboard and I'll try and remember to put that down. If not, just remind me.

Carolyn,

The itinerary is different for the 11/11 cruise. But I bet we can ask some of the dining room staff to tell us the formal nights for the 11/11 sailing. I am on both! :D :D

We are sad our cruise is winding down now to an end. We have had perfect weather except for rough seas yesterday. Ocho Rios had great shopping, and a nice beach, but Grand Cayman was gorgeous! Shopping was great and seven mile beach was gorgeous! Crystal clear, warm water!

We did the Cocoa Beach excursion today, went to the holiday inn. Great for kids!

Our mini is so roomy and nice! Great room for storage!

I have not smelled any sewage or had any AC problems except for the elevators being hot (as well as SLOW)

Food is spectacular!

Great vacation, I would definately cruise the crown again any day!!

Gotta get ready for last formal night tonight :(

Chrissy

Erinsmommy - thanks for the review. We will have a mini-suite in Feb. and from the looks of the photos it looks like you can't see the TV while laying on the bed. Is that correct? I like to watch tv while lounging in bed so I hope there is a way to adjust it. Thanks and have a wonderful rest of your cruise!!

Erinsmommy - thanks for the review. We will have a mini-suite in Feb. and from the looks of the photos it looks like you can't see the TV while laying on the bed. Is that correct? I like to watch tv while lounging in bed so I hope there is a way to adjust it. Thanks and have a wonderful rest of your cruise!!

Nikita,

Unless the minis on the Crown are really different from the ones on the other ships, there should be two TVs in your room... one for the bed area and the other for the sitting area... the minis are really nice and the setup of the room is wonderful - you're going to love it!!

There is no problem seeing the TV while lying on the bed, and no problem seeing the other TV while sitting or lying on the couch. We were on the Crown in August, in a mini suite --- by the way, the TVs are very nice flat panels.

Hey, Nikita--we're almost neighbors! We live in Bucks County, too.

We are currently spending our last day on the Crown. Don't worry--you can see the tv just fine from the bed. You will really like your mini suite. Very comfortable and roomy.

Over all, the ship is beautiful with some design flaws, which have been reported previously. The biggest problem we have encountered is that there is almost no place to sit outside that is quiet (no music blasting, no movie soundtrack), in the shade and smoke-free. The only area that fits the bill is the small, forward pool under the Sanctuary, and that has a total of 8 chairs. By the way, no one used the Sanctuary that we could see the whole 9 days ($15 for 4 hours of usage, pp). Princess should wise up and allow people to enjoy this quiet space without an extra charge.

We don't mind spending extra money when it is worth it. We dined at the Crown Grill twice (excellent) and tonight we're dining at Sabatini's. We watched a movie last night at MUTS, which was fun, although a little chilly. Bundling up with blankets was a must.

Hope you all enjoy your upcoming cruises on the Crown.

Sandy

Dear Sandy,

I hope you are enjoying your cruise, I was on the 9/3 sailing of the crown. I am also from Bucks county, the jamison area. Can you do me a favor. Please find out Cameron's last name and email address.

Thank you

YOUR BUCKS NEIGHBOR

Heidi:)

$420 for two chairs in the sanctuary for a week is a ripoff. Princess has gone over the top with the extra charges on the Crown.

I completely agree with that!! I was not exactly happy about the "Coffee Card" but was going to purchase just to get brewed coffee. Then I learned that the coffee card does not include room service coffee. I find that ridculous! Charge you for brewed coffee, then tell you it doesn't apply to the main time of day that most people want brewed coffee....in the room, in the morning......I wrote to them, not that it will do any good, and asked why they couldn't change that! Of course, I don't have an answer! Even the cheapest motel have fresh brewed coffee! Carnival has decent brewed coffee, FREE, even for room service! :mad::mad: And I'm NOT a Carnival fan!

$420 for two chairs in the sanctuary for a week is a ripoff. Princess has gone over the top with the extra charges on the Crown.

I agree, but they found that they had the problem with chair hogs when they first started out and had no fees. They want those chairs to go to people who are willing to pay for extras, like massages, etc.

They don't want a towel on an unused chair all day.

I was told by our Sales Rep. that they are still trying to figure out better ways to accomodate the chairs, such as including a block of time if you buy a spa treatment.

I don't agree with the charge, but in order to stop the chair hogs, I can understand the issue. They figure if people are willing to pay that much for the chairs, they will use them. I just wish it were less money - I'd got for $5.00 for a block of time, but I think $15 is too much.

Hi....I'm the latter half of RICK AND JEN who will be on the 11/11 sailing. It's so close I can taste it!!!!

I was wondering how the little shops are on the Ship? Sometimes we (the women in the group) will go shopping around while the men are in the cigar bar after dinner. Anything worth our while??? Do they have GOLD BY THE INCH???

Just wondering.

Thanks

:)

Hi....I'm the latter half of RICK AND JEN who will be on the 11/11 sailing. It's so close I can taste it!!!!

I was wondering how the little shops are on the Ship? Sometimes we (the women in the group) will go shopping around while the men are in the cigar bar after dinner. Anything worth our while??? Do they have GOLD BY THE INCH???

Just wondering.

Thanks

Yes they do have gold by the inch, as well as MANY other great things. There are great stores IMHO. Swarovski !!! There is an upscale boutique with designer purses, jewelry etc....I spent way TOO much time shopping, as well as money..:rolleyes:

Shower doors are only in Suites, all else have a curtain, and a very personable/friendly cutain I might say. :eek:

Linens are very comfortable, I sleep so well on a ship especially on the Crown.

ROFL!! What a visual! :D Are you going to do a live from when you board??

I completely agree with that!! I was not exactly happy about the "Coffee Card" but was going to purchase just to get brewed coffee. Then I learned that the coffee card does not include room service coffee. I find that ridculous! Charge you for brewed coffee, then tell you it doesn't apply to the main time of day that most people want brewed coffee....in the room, in the morning......I wrote to them, not that it will do any good, and asked why they couldn't change that! Of course, I don't have an answer! Even the cheapest motel have fresh brewed coffee! Carnival has decent brewed coffee, FREE, even for room service! :mad::mad: And I'm NOT a Carnival fan!

The 'fresh brewed' coffee on the coffee card is only from the coffee bar. The coffee served via room service is the same coffee you get in the dining room. It would be kind of silly for the room service waiters to be running down to the coffee bar to bring you coffee from there. I've never had a problem with the room service coffee, and it's always free, so I think I don't understand the complaint?? Did you think they would charge you for room service coffee, or did you just flat out want "fresh brewed" and didn't want to have to go to the coffee bar to get it?

Not being obtuse, just honestly don't understand your complaint??

Just wondering.

Thanks

Hi there. They have Gold by the Inch and specials each day with assorted items. The shops on the Crown were the most boring I have ever seen on a ship.

We sadly returned from the 10/18 Crown sailing yesterday. I guess what best sums up our experience is that we pre-booked another sailing on the Crown for next Summer out of NYC.

The ship was gorgeous, we felt the deck plans were well done & never once felt like there were 3000+ passengers on board. The Sanctuary is a big waste of space, & rarely did we find any more than 5 people paying to sun themselves up there. I do hope Princess figures this out & finds a way to use the space more effectively. We had no problem sitting nearby & finding some quiet space away from the main pool areas but within a few feet of the Sanctuary area pool which was free to use. We loved MUTS - especially watching the World Series.

Anytime dining was a great surprise. We booked so late that we had no other option for standard dining, and this ended up being perfect for us. We never waited more than 5 minutes for a table, and ended up meeting 2 other couples who we hung out with the rest of the cruise. The food was standard Princess - no complaints.

As for the nickel/diming thing - hey - it's a VACATION people - we're not at work, we've gotten a good cruise fare deal, and it's standard throughout the industry. Everywhere there were "complainers", but we just reminded them of the above & that shut them down pretty much.

Our balcony cabin on the Caribe deck was to die for. We visited a friend's minisuite on the Dolphin deck & were soooo happy we chose a standard balcony on Caribe. The expanded size of our balcony - having both a covered & uncovered portion seemed a much better deal for us than a sofa & extra TV inside the mini. We spent more time in our cabin, on the balcony than ever before! Only problem was the old chunky guy up one deck who thought it was OK to lean over his balcony railing NAKED one morning - almost lost my coffee on that one & had to bolt into my room to scream laughing into my pillow. He was named "The Ant-eater" for the rest of the cruise, and we were very careful NOT to look up again!

This was our 4th Princess cruise, and although we'd like to test-drive Celebrity, RCL, & HAL, it's so difficult to make the leap from the comforts of Princess.

Archived