Is dress more casual on Mexican Riviera?

longduo

We are sailing the Mexican Riviera on the Dawn Dec. 1. I have heard that the dress is in general a bit more casual than on other Princess cruises. For example, not as much glitz and glitter on formal nights.....I'd appreciate hearing if this is true. I love to dress up, but don't want to overdo it!

Any other pointers about MR cruise would also be appreciated.

Thanks.

Longduo

I was on the Diamond last Dec for a MR cruise. At my table for 8 in Traditional first seating, I was the only one wearing a tux. Most, say 85% of the men only wore suits or sport coats, and not necessarily dark either. There were a lot that did not dress up at all but wore what they wore during the day, but they were not in the dining room. I would say it is a very informal, casual dress for any night. I like wearing a tux so wore mine even though I knew I would be one of the few that did. At the first show I probably saw fewer than a dozen men in tuxes.

Not really. We did the Mexican Riviera on Celebrity Mercury a couple years ago and found it to be the same as any other Cruise as far as dress. I have never taken a Tux, have plenty of suits though, but for those who like a Tux- no problem - enjoy. Nice that Princess eliminated the semi-formal nights most others still have though. If you like to dress up, then go for it, you will not be in the minority at all.

Dennis

Took this cruise last Nov.20 and we are booked again for this Nov. 20th. There was a good mix of both. My husband wore a tux for formal nights and felt fine and fit in. There were many women that wore dressy stuff and plenty that wore more casual. It really is up to you and you don't have to worry. What ever you decide will be fine and you will fit in. :-) Enjoy your cruise LONGDUO and we will keep her clean when we get back in for your departure. :-)

We went on the Carnival Pride to the Mex Riv last November, and I was surprised at the number of formal long gowns I saw. Don't know if it was a group, or part of the general population. The gents with the ladies in formals (I even saw trains on some of these ladies dresses) wore tuxes. So, I guess, guys better dress in what their wives tell them to. So on Princess, I would assume it may be the same? Would like to know the answer to this as well, as we are going on Princess out of SF to the Mex Riv in April.

To me, there were differences between the crowds on the left and right coast. But I noticed little difference in dress.

The attitudes of the cruisers seemed a little more layed back on the Mexican Riviera than in the Caribbean. But not too much. I think East coast personalities can be a little more intense, but friendly in their own way.

I noticed the same number of people dressed in tuxes and gowns on both cruises. Most men did not wear a tux on either ship, but almost every table had one or two guys wearing a tux. Lots of black and dark gray suites.

It's the subtle differences that make each cruise a interesting and unique.

DH and I will be on the Dawn in January and have made dinner reservations at an upscale restaurant in Acapulco. When our reservation at El Olvido was confirmed, we were advised that "proper attire" is required: No shorts or tee-shirts. While researching restaurants in Acapulco, some of the fine dining establishments even suggested jackets for men.

DH and I have cruised the Mexican Riviera only once previously, and I don't recall a difference in attire. In fact, when we sailed on the Star out of Long Beach (our first Princess cruise), it was actually one of the most formal cruises that we had experienced to date.

Chris

Have taken the Riviera cruise twice in the last 18 months--sure don't remember the difference--except for this--Diamond Princess was far superior to our only Carnival trip

Nancy:D

it seems as tho on most cruises,most of the guys wear suites more than they wear tuxs,but i do like the look of tuxs,when i see them i think of weddings tho,but you should dress up in what feels best for you,maybe on our next cruise ill rent a tux,my wife hasnt seen me wear one and she loves it when i dress formal,i get extra brownie points:)));)

But on our Caribbean cruises, any man would be comfortable in a suit on formal night, and the ladies always properly attired in a cocktail dress.

I always liked to wear a little less glitzy cocktail dress the other nights. As a teacher, it is one of my few opportunities to dress up!:p DH wore suit on formal night, tropical shirt & slacks the rest of the time.

Happy cruising!

Kris

But on our Caribbean cruises, any man would be comfortable in a suit on formal night, and the ladies always properly attired in a cocktail dress.

I always liked to wear a little less glitzy cocktail dress the other nights. As a teacher, it is one of my few opportunities to dress up!:p DH wore suit on formal night, tropical shirt & slacks the rest of the time.

Happy cruising!

Kris

We are sailing the Mexican Riviera on the Dawn Dec. 1. I have heard that the dress is in general a bit more casual than on other Princess cruises. For example, not as much glitz and glitter on formal nights.....I'd appreciate hearing if this is true. I love to dress up, but don't want to overdo it!

Any other pointers about MR cruise would also be appreciated.

Thanks.

Longduo

Join our roll call at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=282248&page=14

There are several of us on that cruise. I, for one, will be wearing a Tux. I tried the suit and tie once, but tired of dragging the extras around in a suitcase. So I rent all the time now.

We've done the Mexican Riviera several times and you won't feel overdressed. The ratio is about 50/50 tux to suits for men and almost all the women are dressed to the nines.

Thanks for the feedback. LARGIN and dolfan95831, we will look froward to hearing from you after your cruises. Have a wonderful time! By the way, how are you getting to and from the port in San Francisco? We used a taxi to get to the airport with no problems when our Panama Canal cruise ended in SF. Now it looks like many are saying getting a taxi at the port can be next to immpossible????

Longduo

Archived