Do you see fish while at sea?

kr4625

We were wondering if you see much, if any, ocean life from the ship.

Thanks

when we were in princess cay...we had an aft cabin and I looked down and I saw a school of dolphin/dorado/mahi - mahi - I wish I had my fishing rod at the time.

We've seen Dolphins & Whales & Flying Fish.. I love to watch for the flying fish - dolphins & whales are a bonus. We were is the largest mass of dolphins I have ever seen down around Baja - there were honestly hundreds - maybe even a thousnd - it was was so exciting. Everyone on the ship just stood and watched in awe.

We've seen Dolphins & Whales & Flying Fish.. I love to watch for the flying fish - dolphins & whales are a bonus. We were is the largest mass of dolphins I have ever seen down around Baja - there were honestly hundreds - maybe even a thousnd - it was was so exciting. Everyone on the ship just stood and watched in awe....never seen anything like it before or since....awsome.

One of the best places in the world to see whales is in the waters off Washington State and British Columbia. The cruise ships go up the Inside Passage to Alaska and it is in these waters that the whales spend the summer. It is really hard to travel through the waters to Alaska and not see whales.:)

I will say one thing...no matter how many times your see whales, especially Orca, in the wild it is always the most amazing sight you have ever seen....it just never changes! I have lived in this part of the world all my life and still get excited at seeing these mammoth creatures moving so gracefully through the water.:)

I read somewhere on these boards, or maybe the Review board, about a cruise ship this summer that showed up in Alaska with huge dead whale draped across that bit of the ship that forms the underwater part of the bow! Never did hear if the ship collided with a live whale and killed it, or just snagged a dead one floating in the water.:(

Tom:)

Lots of whales in Alaska (humpbacks and Orca) and off of Canada/New England (fin and humpbacks), as well as humpbacks and sperm whales in the eastern Caribbean. We have also seen dolphins, pilot whales, sharks, manta rays, turtles, flying fish, and some really neat birds. I can easily spend an entire sea day relaxing on my balcony with a good book and a pair of binoculars.

Add me to the long list of those who have seen whales, dolphins, and flying fish. I've seen whales cruising Hawaii, Alaska, in the Gulf of Mexico and even the Med. I don't think I've ever been on a Caribbean cruise where I haven't seen flying fish. Take a trans ocean cruise, like a transatlantic and your likely to see nothing, ship or fish, for five or six days.

Take a look at the front of the ship (bow) while underway, some wildlife likes to play with the water as it's being cut by the ship. What you see, like other posters mentioned, depends greatly on where you are.

We've had trips where we didnt see anything from the ship, but on others we've seen: Flying fish, marlins, whales (grey and orcas), sea lions, seals and dolphins, and a few fish I couldn't identify. We have also seen birds, and lots of them, when near shorelines on every cruise. There are various seabirds such as gulls and pelicans, which are common in many parts of North America, and birds more specific to certain areas, such as puffins, muirs, etc.

What I'd love to see but haven't (they tend to be shier) is a Manta Ray.

I pack opera glasses for this, and would highly recommend it to you :) Looking out at sea while sipping a good drink is a great way to pass the day imo.

Hi! Interesting questions, and lots of interesting answers.

I saw loads of flying fish when our ship was leaving Bermuda, and on a different cruise, saw a hammerhead shark gracefully swimming near the bottom-most part of the ship. Just the sight of it so close to the ship was awesome.

Hi! Interesting questions, and lots of interesting answers.

I saw loads of flying fish when our ship was leaving Bermuda, and on a different cruise, saw a hammerhead shark gracefully swimming near the bottom-most part of the ship. Just the sight of it so close to the ship was awesome.

Are they flying fish or swimming birds? We've seen them every cruise...
both...

:) Looking out at sea while sipping a good drink is a great way to pass the day imo.

I can't think of a better way to spend a day...only 68 days until my next sea day!

Have any of you seen the green flash at sunrise or sunset? It is another fun thing to watch for...

A poster on the Star Princess NE cruise a couple weeks ago was complaining about the ship diverting to avoid hitting whales off New England. Whale Watching excursions are big business here on the coast of Massachusetts. We even have a whale license plate because of the right whale being endangered.

We recently saw a dolphin in the Cape Cod Canal. They will be heading south soon, along with the whales, but the seals will be returning from Canada to sunbathe on our rocks at low tide during the winter. We park high on a cliff and watch them play while we are drinking our coffee on weekends from Nov-May.

Hawaii and Cabo San Lucas area of Baja has lots of whales and dolphins in February. We are heading out again this year on NCL Star to Alcapulco and hope to see the whales again. You can see them off the coast of southern California heading north starting in March.

I always bring binoculars on my cruises because you never know what you will see. Some ship captains make announcements for passengers and others don't. We have a great captain on the Mexican Riviera cruise, as well as in Hawaii.

Archived