Do you see fish while at sea?

kr4625

The MOST amazing sight I encountered from a cruiseship was on Ocean Princess a couple hours out of Puntarenas CR. We looked out the dining room window and an ENORMOUS pod of porpoises (dolpin) were parallel to and tracking the ship leaping along the way. There must of been 100-200 (really at least 50-100+) erupting from the water as we proceeded. They continued like that for a few minutes.

I live in Florida and I didn't even realize porpoise associated in such huge pods. The ones I've seen locally have never been in groups of more than 2-3.

Only saw it that one time; It was amazing!

I've seen the green flash twice on cruises, both times on cold water cruises where there is less humidity to obstruct the horizon. Once in the North Sea and once in the Gulf of Alaska. It's more of an atmospheric oddity that lasts less than a second where as whales and porposes can be spectacular.

I had to google "green flash". How exciting.

I thought it was the eye of some giant sea creature...lol. Pardon my ignorance.

i did too thought it was some UFO stuff or something. For the rest of us that dont know its the visable light left by the sun as it sets last anywhere form 1 to 15 seconds most commonly 2 at least from the one and only page I read on the subject. makes a good reason to watch the sunset on a clear day.

Sightings of fish [and other sea creatures] abound in the dining room.:rolleyes:

We always see flying fish in the Carib. Sometimes they can fly nearly the entire length of the ship.

Dan

Maybe one will fly right into my mouth?

I have seen several kinds of dolphins, whales, and fish. In Alaska we even saw a bunch of sea otters with babies on their stomachs that they were cradling. It was awesome. I have almost always seen something while cruising. In the Mediterranean we saw a few whales, which I didn't really expect. Once we saw a huge pod of Orcas that swam around the ship and breached several times. They were absolutely wonderful. I will never forget that!:D

We have seen whales in Alaska. Dolphins everywhere. Great White Shark off the coast of California near the Channel Islands and some big Sea Turtles off the coast of Mexico.

Also, saw a huge sailfish (or something with one of those big fan things) leap out of the water as we were cruising into Huatulco this May!! We also saw two big tarpon while we were going through one of the locks in the Panama Canal. They jumped at the same time and criss crossed each other. It was amazing.

Except for the tarpons, all these fish were seen from our balcony!!

Cheers, Denise

Archived