My first visit to Key West

Karibean

A friend and I will be on the Majesty of the Seas 12/11 to 12/15 (my first cruise actually!) and it will be making a stop in Key West. We'll be in port from 10:45 am until 6 pm. Since this will be the first time that either one of us has been to Key West, we want to do as much as possible in the time allowed. Do you think it would be beneficial to book an excursion like the Conch Train or Old Town Trolley so that we have priority getting off the ship? Also, we were thinking it'd be fun to rent one of electric car/golf cart things to get around in. Have any of you rented one of these before? Did you enjoy it & was it worth the cost? It seems like a great way to get around Key West. Also, is there anything that you recommend we see or do (please keep in mind that I love, love, love Jimmy Buffett! ;) )?

Thank you so much, in advance, for your help!

If you've never been to Key West, the Conch Train is a great excursion to learn about the town. From there, Duval St is the place to be. You can walk the entire strip. If you've been to other Margaritaville's, you'll be disappointed in this one. It's very small with no pools, waterslides, or DJ's. Also, the food kinda sucks. I would suggest wetting your whistle at Sloppy Joes.

As noted above, I wouldn't eat at Margaritaville. It's an OK stop for

T-shirts, etc. Sloppy Joes is OK for a drink, wouldn't eat there either. As for wetting your whistle, Schooner Wharf on the waterfront is great. For lunch Fogarty's/Flying Monkey is nice, you can dine outside and people watch on Duval.

The train or trolley are both good for getting the lay of the land and learning about Key West.

Scooters and electric cars are available everywhere - you won't have trouble finding them if you want to rent one.

We are also Parrotheads. We have just returned from our 5th KW trip, so we don't need to do any tourist things, but this time we did a storytelling, bar hopping 90 min tour called "Trails of Margaritaville". It was all about Buffett and palces/history of KW where he first started, lived, wrote songs, etc. It was fun. Maybe Dusty will be your guide. It may be a problem since the tour is 90 min and is only done at 4PM and your ship leaves at 6. It is $20/pp. Maybe if there are a few of you, they might do a private, group tour earlier in the day. You should check with them. Here's the link:

http://www.trailsofmargaritaville.com/trails_info.htm

Joanne & John Fisher

You do not need to worry about "priority' for getting off the ship. Majesty of the Seas docks at the Westin (formerly Hilton) Pier and all you do is waltz off the ship at your leisure and take a short walk to the sights of Duval. The Conch Train and Trolley do not meet you at that dock. That service is provided to passnegers of ships that dock at the Outer Mole Pier which is much further away from Old Town.

As soon as passengers go through the passport check right n the ship, you will be allowed to leave the ship anytime you wish.

Archived