Norwegian Spirit vs. Carnival Miracle

Sandi149

My husband and I are looking to book a cruise to the Carribean out of NY for next June. I am looking into either the Carnival Miracle or the Norwegian Spirit. I was just on the Legend the other day and loved it. The itinerary for Miracle is San Juan, St. Thomas and Tortola. The Norwegian itinerary is Bermuda, St. Thomas and Tortola. I am thinking of Norwegian becuase of Bermuda. I would rather go there than San Juan.

I loved the food and service aboard Carnival but have nothing to compare it to.

Anyone who has done both ships with those itineraries, I would love to hear your opinions of the two ships. The price for both ships are the same.

Thanks,

Sandi :)

also just got off the legend this month (oct 3rd)

loved it, but, booked the spirit because of port times.

san juan was good

st thomas and tortola awesome,

and i wanted to do a different intinerary (really wanted more time in tortola, not enough port time with the legend, 7a-2p.

never been to bermuda

love to go back to st thomas

and more time in tortola:D

anyway you cant go wrong with either line, as cruising is what you make it

am going in may, kinda of a b-day, mothers day, anniversay cruise for me.

it was a great price with an obc to boot.

that said, i would also be interested to hear from anyone about information about this ship or intinerary,(food, excursions, etc.)

Donna

Have been on both ships, but not that itinerary.

The Miracle is newer and glitzier, the Spirit is a more understated,

Asian decor. Both are beautiful and well maintained.

The Miracle has traditional dining, the Spirit is Freestyle which we love. However, the 24 hour pizza and ice cream on the Miracle was really enjoyed by my family.

If Freestyle is not a hook for you, definitely go by the itinerary. You will probably love either ship, we certainly loved both of them.

I have also been on both and would definitly consider the itinerary. Loved them both. Love Carnival Pizza and very slight edge to meals but NCL Freestyle Cruising can't be beat in my opinion. I find it amusing sometimes to see the Carnival bashing on the NCL site and the NCL on the Carnival sight. I have sailed on NCL 4 times with one more next month on the Dawn and have sailed 6 times on Carnival. See very little difference when comparing like size and age ships. That goes also for the type of passengers I have met on both. I enjoy both lines and book my cruises on destination and price at the time. Have a wonderfull time.

With regard to that Freestyle Dining, can you eat with other people in the restaurant or do they put you with your spouse?

You can choose to do either every night. Sometimes I feel like dining alone at a small table, at other times I feel like dining with others at a large table. That's what makes Freestyle Dining so great, you can choose a different option every night.

How are the waiting times? I read some reviews where people would have to wait about an hour for a table? Also, they said if you didn't make a reservation at the restaurant they wouldn't let them in even if there was nobody in the restaurant. Is that true?

How are the waiting times? I read some reviews where people would have to wait about an hour for a table? Also, they said if you didn't make a reservation at the restaurant they wouldn't let them in even if there was nobody in the restaurant. Is that true?

Reservations are required at the Speciality restaurants, but not at the Main restaurants. The only night you might consider reserving a table at the Main restaurants is on Lobster night, (Optional Formal night), as it seems most passengers will try to eat the free lobster tails. Another reason where you should reserve a table at the Main restaurants is if you need a large table, as they are in short supply (because there are so many tables for two).

Have a great cruise.

Which ones are the main restaurants on the Spirit?

Here's a list of all the restaurants aboard the Spirit.

The Garden Room (Main Dining Room)

Cuisine: Continental

Surcharge: No

Reservations Required: No

Windows Restaurant (Main Dining Room)

Cuisine: Light Modern Continental

Shogun Restaurant

Cuisine: Asian

Surcharge: Yes, $12.50 per person

Reservations Required: Yes

Le Bristo Restaurant

Cuisine: French

Surcharge: Yes, $20 per person

La Trattoria

Cuisine: Italian

Cagney's Steakhouse Restaurant

Cuisine: SteaksSurcharge: Yes, $15 per person

Raffles Lido Cafe

Cuisine: Buffet

Blue Lagoon

Cuisine: Food Court, Grill

Note: This is an old list, $ for surcharges may have changed.

With two in our party, we had no problems whatsoever with long waits on either the Dawn or the Spirit. One night on the Spirit there was a line and they gave us a beeper, but it went off before we even had a chance to walk away! We do generally dine early. Also, one evening we didn't care for the menu in the dining room, so we went to the Asian restaurant and they were happy and able to accomodate us without a reservation.

I have been on both ships and love them for different reasons. I prefer the Miracle because it is newer, BUT itinerary is very important to me, so I would go on the Spirit. I had the same problem deciding on the Dawn or Spirit for August . I prefer the Dawn but the Spirit I felt had a better itinerary for my family.

• 4 months later...

Late summer and early fall is the hurricane season. If you are not willing to sail through rough seas and storms, don't bother to book a cruise ship. Storms can happen and rough seas can happen at any time on the Atlantic. Take your sea sickness pills and you should be okay.

AN OCEAN IS NOT A DESERT!

We've been on both ships and enjoyed both cruises. Personally, I'd choose the Miracle over the Spirit, but that's just personal preference. The pizza on Carnival late night can't be beat, and the nightlife on the Miracle was a LOT of fun. I didn't care for our CD on the Spirit, though I understand she was new at her position when we were onboard.

Food on the Spirit was hit or miss. When it hit, it was great, when it didn't, it was pretty disappointing. Food on Carnival was more consistant, but there were fewer "wow" dishes.

We did enjoy Bermuda though!

Anyone who has done the Spirit to Bermuda, St. Thomas, & Tortola -- ever have any problems with rough seas?

Patty

My husband and I did our honeymoon on the Legend in May 03 to Bermuda, and we hit some rough seas coming back. Lots of sick people, it got pretty nasty smelling in the public bathrooms. If you are concerned with sea sickness, try those wrist bands. They worked for me and they are amazing.:)

Archived