Companion restroom question

george2000

My husband has MS and requires my assistance in the restroom. It looks like the ship we are going on only has one unisex restroom. Due to MS, once he has to go, we don't have much time to get him to the restroom. In the past, I have taken him into the men's restroom and posted someone outside the door. I've also taken him into the women's and just announced that I was bringing him in. But I'm always nervous that someone is going to confront me. How do other people handle this situation?

My wife also has some of the same problems from MS.

On the ships we have been on, diagrams of the floor plans never tell the whole story. We have found many restrooms that are not indicated as unisex, but they are single H/C restrooms. We have never had a problem, but have not been on a Carnival cruise.

We wish you a wonderful cruise and may all go as planned.

It would help if you said what ship you are going on. I know on Princess they have men, women and handicap bathrooms with automatic doors. On the deck plans in most places they only show the men and women's bathrooms.

• 3 weeks later...

DNC

I have the same problem with my husband and to be honest -- I just take him in the ladies room. If you watch, you soon will know what restrooms are not as busy as others. For example, not many people use the one outside the movie but everyone uses the one outside the dining room. I had to take in to the ladies room at a major event with a whole line of ladies. I just told him to cover his eyes -- LOL -- all the women were laughing and it funny how many people relate because they know someone who also needs assistance.

Hebe,

Thank you for your suggestions. Traveling is the just about the only thing my DH really enjoys any more and the bathroom problem is our biggest concern. It's a comfort to know that someone else out there takes their husband to the ladies restroom as well. I usually try to wait until no one is in the restroom, but sometimes that is not always an option. So far everyone has been pretty understanding. We've done a lot of traveling just never on a cruise, so I'm a little nervous. Although we've become pretty good at making the best of things.

We just got off the Celebrity Mercury. On every deck that had public rooms there was at least one accessible (unisex) bathroom in addition to a regular men's and women's restroom. They were large and easy to use.

Splinter,

How did you enjoy the Mercury?

Oh just saw your review...will read that.

Archived