Athens

Any one have suggestions for drivers and or guides in Athens. We are planning 3 nights pre-cruise in September, 2007. Also would appreciate reccommendations for 5 star hotels...I really am interested mostly in quality. Thanks!

Any one have suggestions for drivers and or guides in Athens. We are planning 3 nights pre-cruise in September, 2007. Also would appreciate reccommendations for 5 star hotels...I really am interested mostly in quality. Thanks!

Do you want to stay right in the city or by the "beach" or in the 'burbs?

Assuming in the city: Arts Hotel is my favorite.. but, then, I like small, intimate hotels. The classic luxury hotel is the Grande Bretagne. It is a "real" 5-star place. The Hilton (I am not a Hilton Fan) is excellent. If you like really small luxury hotels the Magna Grecia is excellent.

It is easier to get around Athens via Metro then on the street. If you looking for a guide within Athens, I would recommend not getting a private guide, but using Walking Tours of Athens. They are outstanding.

SS uses the Grand Bretagne for the pre and post...just an FYI.

:confused: By SS do you mean Silver Seas?...That would be an excellent reccomendation.

Regent uses it also. As I said, it is THE traditional luxury hotel in Athens. If that is what you are looking for, look no further.

Paul

Regent uses it also. As I said, it is THE traditional luxury hotel in Athens. If that is what you are looking for, look no further.

Paul[/q Thanks Paul....It sounds exactly like what I am looking for.....:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

:confused: By SS do you mean Silver Seas?...That would be an excellent reccomendation.

Yes,Silverseas.We cruised with them last year out of Athens and that was the hotel they used.We did not stay there as we were there for 5 duas before and I wanted to stay at the Royal Olympic which I really liked,but I am going to guess you will like the GB better.I just liked the location for me,and the hotle was quite elegant even when it was under renovation.Anyway, enjoy your trip to Athens.

:D Thanks for the info Karen....We will actually be on Regent Navigator going into the Black Sea and after an overnight in Istanbul calling on Greek islands on our way back to Athens..We'll be on Silver Shadow in January...Is Fernando still A CD with SS ???

:D Thanks for the info Karen....We will actually be on Regent Navigator going into the Black Sea and after an overnight in Istanbul calling on Greek islands on our way back to Athens..We'll be on Silver Shadow in January...Is Fernando still A CD with SS ???

He was as of last year and crazy as ever.Still there as far as I know,but there seem to be a lot of changes of late.Have a wonderful cruise.

We stayed in Athens last May for three (3) days post cruise, at the Astor Hotel, which was arranged for by our travel agent it was somewhat of a dissappointment. The Grand Bretagne was close to our hotel and seems beautiful from the outside never went in. We are going back again in the spring of 2007 for three (3) days prior to our Western Mediterranean Cruise and are going to stay outside of town on the beach, as Athens was just to busy. Researched my own accomodations through "TripAdvisor" this time.

Had a great tour guide George Kokkotos "The Famous Athens Taxi Driver" who arranged for one of his drivers take us on a l/2 day tour of Sounion. You can find out about Athens and George by googling "Matt Barrett's Athens Survival Guide".

We stayed in Athens last May for three (3) days post cruise, at the Astor Hotel, which was arranged for by our travel agent it was somewhat of a dissappointment. The Grand Bretagne was close to our hotel and seems beautiful from the outside never went in. We are going back again in the spring of 2007 for three (3) days prior to our Western Mediterranean Cruise and are going to stay outside of town on the beach, as Athens was just to busy. Researched my own accomodations through "TripAdvisor" this time.

Had a great tour guide George Kokkotos "The Famous Athens Taxi Driver" who arranged for one of his drivers take us on a l/2 day tour of Sounion. You can find out about Athens and George by googling "Matt Barrett's Athens Survival Guide".

If you haven't booked yet, may I sugget loking into Grand Resort Lagonissi? NIce place and not to far from town.

Paul

Archived