Spa Poll: what do you think?

AftbalconyCouple

Pick the one that most closely reflects your opinion  

147 members have voted

1. 1. Pick the one that most closely reflects your opinion

• The Lotus Spa is most concerned with retaining repeat customers.
    • The Lotus spa is most interested in selling spa products.
    • The Lotus spa is most interested in finding ways to get mentioned on CC boards.

I end up at the spa once a trip even though I know that it is overpriced, most of the technicians are not very good and that I am going to get a soft/hard sell. Why? my skin gets really beat towards the end of the cruise between the wind and the snokeling/diving.

I once had a pedicure and the gal had to read the directions with each step! Last time I got my nails done. Do it before my cruise now.

I am always hesititant to I tell them at the beginning of the treatment that I will not buy anything that they will loose enthusiasm. ]

I don't see why in the world they would count on repeat customers. We are gone in a week. Next time will have a whole new staff.

In terms of products, spa products are more expensive or at least as expensive as products which are based on science. Go to Dermstore and check out Obagi and SkinCeuticals for product lines that will get real results.

• 7 months later...
I----

As for the art auction, art (like wine) is a matter of personal taste. In my household we collect art, both originals and limited edition lithographs. We found prices on Princess to be equal to or less than land based galleries. Definetely, they are not TRUE auctions, since people seldom bid against each other. But some of the art is of high quality. What matters most is do you love it? If you do, and you like the price, go for it! Art is a lasting pleasure. I can't say the same about a massage.

Over all, I think the art available, if you like, comes at a much more reasonable price than the spa services.

There is another positive aspect of the art auction...actually 2 - free champagne :p and once I won a nice print with a trivia answer.

I went to the salon on a recent Sun Princess cruise.Received the best haircut I have ever had and was not once pressured to purchase any products. Made the mistake of returning to the spa the next day for a "Detox" seminar combined with a $35.00 "Metabolism test" and spent nearly forty five minutes trying to get out of a high pressure sales pitch for a $1500 detox program!

I work in a spa (land -based) and I just hate to hear about the "hard sell" that keeps people trapped for so long. Even before I was in this profession, I always loved the spas at sea, and if I didn't want to buy something I just stated a firm "NO, thank you". Don't let any spa tech intimidate you! YOU are there to relax & enjoy, they are there to relax you & sell (of course). If your experience is not good (after you have politely stated "no" to the offer of products), complain to the manager of the spa, and if someone tries to "trap" you in a treatment room to sell, feel free to let them know you will be filing a complaint & reducing the tip if they don't let up!

I feel lucky I don't get too much pressure to sell, but there are ways of making clients feel more comfortable, positive & even enthusiastic about products, I don't know why they don't teach that to the spa therapists at sea!

PS- Elemis products are now sold in some Nordstroms! I found them a couple fo weeks ago at San Francisco Center! They have all the products I remember from my past cruises (same prices believe it or not).

I feel badly for people who go into a ship's spa unprepared for the sales pitch at the end. Since I let spa personnel know I have done this before and purchase all my Elemis products online, they seem to always leave me alone, and at most, hand me a list of items (before heading back to the dressing room) they feel I should buy.

Yes, I too was the victim of hard sell sales pitches and vowed to never return. I happend to cruise with a friend who encouraged me to try one more time; she told me to carefully leave blank key parts of the questionnaire (regarding my concerns) and letting staff know I am not going to make any post-treatment pruchases. When they sit down with you and review your questionnaire, I let them know I am very happy doing what I am doing. I am there only for a relaxing treatment - nothing more. It seems to work all the time.

From what I can see, they tend to hit hard people new to the spa. It's really a shame they use the hard sell tactics they use, but they are trained to do so. Since they have sales quotas, contests to encourage more sales and even time off incentives, the staff will often go to any length sometime to make a sale. They know they will probably never see you again, so scruples go out the window. But they also know, people who cruise often and frequent spas will not generate much in sales, so they know not to waste their time. They would rather deal with a spa-virgin than someone who knows how to play their game!

I use Elemis skincare products, but I buy them on line at timetospa.com. I find the few products I use to last a long time, and in the end, no cost no more than buying other quality skincare products from the department store.

Good luck!

I really like one product that they sell that I don't think is overpriced. I love the Elemis Ginseng toner and really threw the spa for a loop when I walked in and just wanted to buy some without any kind of spa appointment on my last cruise. They didn't know what to do with me!

I know that I can buy it online but now prefer to buy it at the Aladdin hotel in Vegas. I can quickly pop it and buy it with no hassles and no hard sales. Plus I get to visit one of my favorite stores in the Desert Passage' date=' Department 56.[/quote']

For the information. Shall be in Vegas in September so look forward to purchasing some. We love Vegas (second only to cruising):) :D

Best Wishes

I love scheduling spa appointments. I don't mind even paying a slightly inflated price. I do however, mind the hard sell of the products used in my spa appointment. Many times I have bought them, but because I WANTED to. Not because of the pitch.

I do have to say--I would be more likely to repeat a spa visit if I thought the approach was low key--I mean isn't that the goal of the spa mentality? To unwind? :o

On our last cruise, I finally decided to break-down and spend the money on a massage and facial. It was great. As I was laying there on the table, I remember thinking "wow, I can see why people love to have this done".

Then it came to the end of the session. I am so relaxed thinking how great it was, and here comes the sales pitch. I have to buy these products for my face, and this product to moisture my skin, and this product to use in the bath....

Needless to say, when I left, I told myself I was never going to do this again. As I was signing that slip of paper to charge my "relaxing" spa treatment to my room, I thought what a waste of money.

I agree wholeheartedly. I have the treatments before I leave too. Had the hair double highlighted and cut today for my cruise in a week and will have a massage, pedicure, and maybe a hand applied tan before I leave. Then I can enloy my time on board! Hard sells RUIN the experience.

PS- Elemis products are now sold in some Nordstroms! I found them a couple fo weeks ago at San Francisco Center! They have all the products I remember from my past cruises (same prices believe it or not).
I believe Disney's land-based spas also use them (since their ship-based spas are run by Steiner, they are there as well). I too use some of the Elemis product line and I find them to be very high quality - and therefore the high price. I think when one talks about the product from experience, the spa therapist is apt to realize that you know the product - and less apt to try to sell you something you don't want.

I don't go along with the feeling that the spa personnel are unscrupulous because they are trying to sell product - it's part of their conditions of employement to do that. While I can agree that the hard sell isn't necessary, just because a therapist tries to push a product doesn't mean they have no morals.

Speaking of people trying to peddle their products, I always get a kick out of the locals on the public beaches in the Caribbean. I have seen some passengers really berate the islanders trying to sell their “stuff“!! I have since come up with a great way to keep them off my back without offending. As soon as I arrive to the beach I collect a bunch of driftwood, shells and the like. Spread them out on a towel. When they approach, I say "I am so glad you came over to me. I have a great collection and a big sale going on......" They always smile and laugh and move on. After they have done their selling to other beach goers they usually come and hang out with me. I get to hear about their island from their view. Everything from politics to families. Amazing some of the stories I have heard. Maybe I should try this in the Spa. I could bring my store catalogue and some smaller products and see if the therapist is interested in my products!!

To add....in the end I always end up buying something from the islanders and if not at least they get a beer or two from me!

Speaking of people trying to peddle their products, I always get a kick out of the locals on the public beaches in the Caribbean. I have seen some passengers really berate the islanders trying to sell their “stuff“!! I have since come up with a great way to keep them off my back without offending. As soon as I arrive to the beach I collect a bunch of driftwood, shells and the like. Spread them out on a towel. When they approach, I say "I am so glad you came over to me. I have a great collection and a big sale going on......" They always smile and laugh and move on. After they have done their selling to other beach goers they usually come and hang out with me. I get to hear about their island from their view. Everything from politics to families. Amazing some of the stories I have heard. Maybe I should try this in the Spa. I could bring my store catalogue and some smaller products and see if the therapist is interested in my products!!

To add....in the end I always end up buying something from the islanders and if not at least they get a beer or two from me!

Love it!!! I also find if i am going into one of the expensive jewellry stores and want to be left alone, i do my homework first and ask them for something they do not carry and they leave me alone.

I had a massage a few weeks ago on the Coral. It was the most wonderful experience, worth every penny, and he did not try to sell me the stuff. He wrote on a paper what products he had used (I had the lime and ginger exfoliation) and I actually came back later and purchased some when I had a chance to think about it. That way I had no regrets at all. I checked online, and the prices were exactly the same, but the shipping cost to Canada is very high so I am glad I bought my stuff on the ship.

Julia

I have had pretty good spa services and I've never had a hard sell (I'm really good at getting across the point "no.") However, I won't do other spa services on a ship just because they are twice as expensive as they are on land, and I can always get them at home. If you don't have spa services readily available at home or you only have time to do them on vacation, then it might be worth it for you.

As to the art auctions, I love the art I've bought onboard and don't see it as at all the same. If you love art, buying it on a ship can make a lot of sense, and my home looks much more beautiful because of it (it would look even MORE beautiful if I would clean it every once in awhile:D). I have 14 pieces I've bought on different cruises, and I absolutely love every one of them and have never had a bad experience.

Jsut throw in my piece - treatments are very expensive compared to what I mightpay at home. BUT its my treat from me to me. I work damn hard throughout the year & its a chance to be pampered. I've been got at by some hard sells & do have some procducts I've bought & never used. More fool me, but there are some I will happily buy & & ask for as I like to use them & I cant get them easily at home.

Treated my DH to a man's special shave & he loved it.:)

I shall continue to use the Spa but I am a lot wiser about filling out the questionnare & better at saying no.

jo

Archived