Thinking about the Jewel...

melly17

DH and I are planning a cruise (our first!) in early March for our one year anniversary. We have finally decided that the eastern carribean is our choice of destination but still cannot decide which cruiseline. We were heavily leaning toward Celebrity but decided that it might a little too quiet and mature for us (we're 23 & 24). We then moved on to Princess but were not interested in their itineraries that port out of Florida--only the the ones out of San Juan we liked but don't wish to pay the extra air fair to get there (we'll be coming from Louisville, KY). Now it's down to two--Norwegian and RCCL. I've heard a lot of pros and cons of both. I know that people are split about 50/50 on the freestyle dining but we've never been on a "traditional" cruise so I don't know if it would bother us as much. We also don't know if we'd miss not having formal nights.

The one thing that strikes me about NCL is that you can get a penthouse suite for what seems like a pretty reasonable price versus RCCL which we are thinking of splurging on since it's our one year anniversary. How does the food rank on the Jewel? Are there a lot of things to do on the Jewel? We're basically looking for a ship that offers a lot of fun and exciting things to do (not just a disco and a pool) and also be able to have a nice romantic trip as well without A LOT of crazy singles and kids. So I guess I'm basically wanting to know how NCL compares to RCCL and why you like/dislike it?

Thanks!

Melanie

DH and I are planning a cruise (our first!) in early March for our one year anniversary. We have finally decided that the eastern carribean is our choice of destination but still cannot decide which cruiseline. We were heavily leaning toward Celebrity but decided that it might a little too quiet and mature for us (we're 23 & 24). We then moved on to Princess but were not interested in their itineraries that port out of Florida--only the the ones out of San Juan we liked but don't wish to pay the extra air fair to get there (we'll be coming from Louisville, KY). Now it's down to two--Norwegian and RCCL. I've heard a lot of pros and cons of both. I know that people are split about 50/50 on the freestyle dining but we've never been on a "traditional" cruise so I don't know if it would bother us as much. We also don't know if we'd miss not having formal nights.

The one thing that strikes me about NCL is that you can get a penthouse suite for what seems like a pretty reasonable price versus RCCL which we are thinking of splurging on since it's our one year anniversary. How does the food rank on the Jewel? Are there a lot of things to do on the Jewel? We're basically looking for a ship that offers a lot of fun and exciting things to do (not just a disco and a pool) and also be able to have a nice romantic trip as well without A LOT of crazy singles and kids. So I guess I'm basically wanting to know how NCL compares to RCCL and why you like/dislike it?

Thanks!

Melanie

Having sailed on Carnival, RCCL and NCL, we always come back to NCL. We did Eastern Caribbean on Jewel this past December and loved it. Food and accomodations were excellent. DW and I prefer the Freestyle venue over the traditional... we do what we want... when we want. If you're staying in a Penthouse suite, get your concierge to make reservations to the specialty resturants early... less hassle.... but this is just one opinion... Enjoy your cruise regardless of which way you go;)

I have only cruised NCL so I am biased. But my BF and I love NCL and never run out of things to do.

The food is good, even in the main dining rooms. If you get bored, go play the penny slot machines...that's where you'll find me at 2 in the morning.

Just remember that whatever date you pick, make sure it is not spring/Easter break or there will be tons of kids no matter which cruise line you choose.

Having our one and only cruise to Alaska on NCL's "Dream" last year, we have since booked our next cruise for this December to the Carribean on the "Jewel." We truely had a wonderful experience! Freestyle dining gives you more freedom to enjoy your activities without being held to a specific dining time. Plus you get to meet different passengers instead of assigned seating where it is the same group. We felt that the food was overall good,the service attentive, and the atmosphere relaxing.

I hope this helps in your decision. Either way you choose, I'm sure you will enjoy the experience. Happy cruising!

Anita & Vince

We cruised on the Jewel transatlantic back in April/May of this year. You will love the Jewel! We had wonderful food in the specialty restaurants...we were not impressed with the main dining room food though. The couple times we ate there for dinner it was bland and the one night the fish was just horrible...might just be though that we aren't used to frozen fishy smelling fish either (living in FLA you get spoiled with fresh fish that doesn't have that smell). Overall though it's a great ship!

BTW, Celebrity quiet and mature???? You've not been on the couple we've been on then. They are just like everybody else in the mix of ages...it just depends on when you cruise and the length of time for the cruise.

My DH & I cruised the Jewel last year for our honeymoon. It was his first cruise - he was a little skeptical, but curious. He loved it! We have booked another cruise with NCL in Feb. We thought the food was great, the staff was great, the ship was beautiful.... we loved the ports (same you are thinking of). I say go for NCL!

Hi Melanie, I've been on both cruise lines. NCL wins hands down. My BF and I did Eastern last year on the Jewel. We had so much fun in all ports. The Jewel is a beautiful ship, with lots of fun things to do while not in port. You say you don't know if you will miss formal nights. There are still formal nights freestyling, you just have the option of not attending. I love getting all dressed up and having my picture taken with my handsome BF. I promise you will not be disappointed if you sail on the Jewel. We loved her so much we leave in 5 weeks to do her Western Itinerary! Have fun!!!

Thanks!

Melanie

NCL should work well for you, but the time of the year you are cruising will produce kids and maybe even the college group. For the most part, any time from March 1st until a week or so after Easter ships have a surplus of kids, families and the colloge crowd. The first week of march won't be quite as busy as the rest of the month. I just thought you shoud know this: You have picked a great ship by the way. The Jewel is just what her name suggests. NMNita

NMNita had some great points!

I always do a search on-line for college break times before I book a cruise.

You can find a list of every college and their break times.

Grade school/high school depends on the area the passengers are from.

I just came back from Fla., and it was mobbed w/kids.

Many schools w/fall vacation?

That being said...the Jewel is a beautiful ship.

We sailed 12 days when she was new (she still is) plenty to do, great officers and staff.

Good luck with your decision and have a wonderful cruise:)

I think DH and I have finally settled on NCL and the Jewel. Once we got to discussing it we think we'd rather have the "freedom" of eating and dressing however we want with freestyle. I have to say that 7seaslover's day to day review on the boards here sold me. We're still considering a penthouse suite but was also wondering about the balcony cabins verses the mini-suites. Are they much different?

Thanks!

Melanie

My husband and I did our honeymoon on the Star in 2003 in a romance suite (AD) and had a wonderful time!!! Next summer we're doing another AD for Alaska as our "going-out-in-style-before-we-take-the-plunge-and-start-a-family" trip. :D

If you do a penthouse, or a mini-suite, I would highly recommend getting an aft cabin. I think many others on this board would recommend that as well. Have fun!!

If you do a penthouse, or a mini-suite, I would highly recommend getting an aft cabin. I think many others on this board would recommend that as well. Have fun!!

But not all. I highly recommend a FORWARD cabin. You have a 180degree vista, the same as the bridge sees...kinda fun to watch people up there, sometimes. Also the crew deck is below you....also kinda fun to watch :)

HUGE balconies, too. INvite your newfound friends over for dinner on the balcony served by your butler. This is the life!

But not all. I highly recommend a FORWARD cabin. You have a 180degree vista, the same as the bridge sees...kinda fun to watch people up there, sometimes. Also the crew deck is below you....also kinda fun to watch :)

HUGE balconies, too. INvite your newfound friends over for dinner on the balcony served by your butler. This is the life!

Good point. I was thinking about the lack of wind, and I think the wake is just beautiful. Plus, I love sleeping with the balcony door open (though I doubt we'll be doing that in Alaska next year :eek: :D)

Good points either way! :)

Aft facing balcony cabins remind me of my story from long ago. I know Washington State Ferries over Puget Sound aren't cruise ships, but after getting out of our cars one day, just about everyone rushes forward to see the Sound, or the opposite side. My relatives I was visiting at the time all rushed forward with everyone else, and were surprised to see me walk slowly the other way. After figuring out I wasn't about to go forward with them, they turned around and followed me aft.

I always head aft, there's no one there except me and the seagulls. Watching the prop wash is always where an engineering type wants to be, and the receding shoreline is always a much better and closer view than whats miles ahead. After catching up with me, they had the gall to ask why I was heading aft first? What fools they were is all I could think, but I replied nicely that its far less windier, and much more interesting aft to see and hear the prop wash.

Now, when I ride a ferry with them, they automatically head aft with me. They too have learned that it's better to view where you have been than where you're heading to. The time to head forward is when everyone else has became bored looking at just the Sound, and have left.

There's nothing like having a private handrail view from any ship. I guess that's why balcony cabins are so popular today.

Have a great cruise, and go as far aft as you can at least once on your cruise. Aft is by far the best place to be to be one with natural and engineering marvels.

Archived