ROLL CALL: 2/25/07 Caribbean Princess

MattInFLL

I thought the Mexico cruise was very well done for Princess's first gay charter. I am looking forward to the cruise in Feb to see how things go on even a bigger ship. Having sailed on way too many cruises...I think the entertainment is far superior to the offerings on main stream cruises and there seems to be enough choices for everyone.

For me...I just hope that in the future RSVP does a mix of small, medium and large ships. I prefer the small ships....Star Clipper line was wonderful...especially in Thailand and believe me entertainment was almost non existant. On these big ships...too many choices, too many public rooms,

too many pool areas seems to water down the human interaction that I found on the small ships. When I think back to the Stella Solaris in the Med...everyone fit into the show lounge (very tightly). It was like gay camp, and seemed so much more fun. But thats my taste.

So I will board the Caribbean Princess and do my thing.....piano bar here I come. Then its 4 or 5 months to the Roman Empire cruise.....and all those Italians!!!!!!!

I enjoy all the view points made by others.......they are informative and show how we all have different tastes. Looking forward to meeting fellow Cruise Critic posters on board.

Happy Holidays to all......

I thought the Mexico cruise was very well done for Princess's first gay charter. I am looking forward to the cruise in Feb to see how things go on even a bigger ship. Having sailed on way too many cruises...I think the entertainment is far superior to the offerings on main stream cruises and there seems to be enough choices for everyone.

For me...I just hope that in the future RSVP does a mix of small, medium and large ships. I prefer the small ships....Star Clipper line was wonderful...especially in Thailand and believe me entertainment was almost non existant. On these big ships...too many choices, too many public rooms,

too many pool areas seems to water down the human interaction that I found on the small ships. When I think back to the Stella Solaris in the Med...everyone fit into the show lounge (very tightly). It was like gay camp, and seemed so much more fun. But thats my taste.

So I will board the Caribbean Princess and do my thing.....piano bar here I come. Then its 4 or 5 months to the Roman Empire cruise.....and all those Italians!!!!!!!

I enjoy all the view points made by others.......they are informative and show how we all have different tastes. Looking forward to meeting fellow Cruise Critic posters on board.

Happy Holidays to all......

Very cool... I was on the Stella Solaris for the 93 RSVP Greek Isles cruise... I enjoyed very much. I'm still undecided how I feel about this really huge ship cruising. I very much agree that it separated folks a bit too much. But, it also offered for different types of entertainment that helped most folks to find their nitch that they liked best. I think the westerdam size ships have been my favorite over all. 3000 people is just a bit much. Of course... won't stop me from going :)

Agreed with the nitch comment. I too feel these ships are too big; what the Freedom is going to be like with Atlantis is beyond me. As far as Holland America, I prefer the Maasdam that RSVP used a number of years ago. The Westerdam in the Caribbean in 2005 was nice, the pool in the stern was better for outdoor parties than what was on the Princess ship.

I was excited to see RSVP's new web site last night.......a substantial change. What the cruise product will evolve into remains to be seen, but I think it will become more Atlantis in style. However both charter companies are going to have to watch how many jumbo ships they schedule. At some point filling them is going to be a problem. Atlantis is already reacting by scheduling the Club Med in Cancun, going back to their roots if you will. I went to a few of the Club Meds with them years ago and actually enjoyed them...getting me off a ship ...wow. So a mix of products is probably a safe way to go.

For RSVP.....I wonder about the clothing......taking dress up clothes use to be great for me......now dockers and a nice shirt. Again, you have a choice but, it is the one main difference between the two companies, besides the "atmosphere". So time wil tell where RSVP goes.....I still prefer them over Atlantis...so my credit card goes there. Now if I ever find a husband, he better be a cruise ship person.....or a good swimmer.....LOL

However both charter companies are going to have to watch how many jumbo ships they schedule. At some point filling them is going to be a problem.

I *think* RSVP is already having a harder time filling these to capacity. I booked the October cruise in Sept and got a cabin alone without paying the double price. They were also offering a pretty decent for the Feb cruise to those who were on the one in October and I've heard offered upgrades to those who had already booked. Still... looks like lots of space still available on the Feb cruise.

I have been on a number of cruises, but this (Feb.25 2007) is my first RSVP cruise. Will I need to bring dress clothes for Formal nights? Since this is a charter, will the dress code for dinners still be the same as on a normal sailing?

Anyone know the answer to this question? We're also interested.

Ivan

According to the RSVP web site......

How should I dress?

You should dress for this cruise the same way you would for any stylish land-based resort. Casual sportswear, including shorts is the order of the day both at sea and ashore. And for evenings there are two categories.

Smart Casual Evenings:

Passengers dress as they would for a fine restaurant at home.

Pants, skirts, dresses, slacks, open-neck shirts, sweaters

In the dining room, items such as cutoff T-shirts, shorts, halter tops, and jeans are not permitted; shoes must be worn at all times.

Formal Evenings:

Tuxedo, slacks with dinner jackets, suits, evening gowns or cocktail dresses.

My experience is that there will be at least one formal night.......maybe half the passengers will wear a tux, the rest a suit or sport coat with tie. Then there will be the casual group who will forgo dressing up and do the caual buffet for dinner. The beauty of these gay charters is that no one will care what you do......formal, casual or dress down. I normally will dress up, but later on in the evening its a quick change and casual for me. Do not feel you have to do what is expected....but some might feel uncomfy if they wear a casual shirt to dinner and be seated at a table with everyone else in a tie. Again unless they are pretentious queens...they wont care. Other evening you will see people in jeans out in the public rooms......others wiill be GQ all the time. This will be a cross section of society...so be yourself, have a good time...say hello to everyone you pass in the hallways.....this is a gay world for a week.....like being on a gay planet where we are the majority. Try to meet as many people as you can...I have been amazed as to how many different walks of life there are......different occupations, and life experiences. For the few with attitude...and you will see them....well lets just say they are doing their thing. This vacation will be what you make it.....just smile, say hello and leave preconceived ideas at the baggage claim area at the Ft lauderdale airport. Nuff of my soap box......gee, mine says DOVE.....whats yours, Ivory, Irish Spring or Zest? LOL

The beauty of these gay charters is that no one will care what you do......formal, casual or dress down. Try to meet as many people as you can...I have been amazed as to how many different walks of life there are......different occupations, and life experiences. For the few with attitude...and you will see them....well lets just say they are doing their thing. This vacation will be what you make it.....

Tom --

A great answer to the question. Thanks,

Ivan

Thanks for the information. I used to like dressing up in a tux on formal nights when cruising used to be more of an upscale vacation. Now days people opt. not to be formal, since cruising is more relaxing than it was years ago. I think I will leave the dress clothes behind, and just make this a casual vacation with a "splash" of dress-up from time to time. Have a good time!

Thanks for the information. I used to like dressing up in a tux on formal nights when cruising used to be more of an upscale vacation. Now days people opt. not to be formal, since cruising is more relaxing than it was years ago. I think I will leave the dress clothes behind, and just make this a casual vacation with a "splash" of dress-up from time to time. Have a good time!

ooo a "spash".....that could be so many things......

I cant wait to see what you define as a splash.

I remember when I wore a dress uniform on formal nights.....then later on it was a Tux...

I am over the tux and will wear a black or dark blue suit. Maybe drag the white dinner jacket along just in case.

now where I am going to find a dinner companion to join me at the steak restaurant on formal night....thats the question.

maybe I should troll the lower decks after mid night...wink wink...

I need to find a meat eater...a true carnivor...to enjoy the sterling steak house.

On a ship of 3100 passengers who would think this a mission impossible....

maybe its my choice of clothing....maybe the perfect little black dress.....

not my style.......

now if I could only find my personal splash.........LOL

Happy New Year everyone. I was deeply involved in my end of semester exams (in law school, your entire grade for a class is based solely on a 4 hour final exam)...and then so brain numb, I have vegetated through the holidays...now I am getting back to normal. So cool to see a lively thread going. I hope we can all find a time to connect on board. We've got several sea days, and I've been to these ports enough :)

Since PLanet Out bought RSVP, it seems like they are making some changes... but they also have to pay attention to their loyal customers, so I think there will always be differentiation from Atlantis. As for formal nights, last Feb I decided *not* to bring the tux...which I had never done..and decided the most dressed up I would be any night was a sport coat... it was very relaxing. I have to admit we like the more casual approach. I don't know about any of you, but I got a category upgrade offer from RSVP right before final payment. I liked our cabin and didn't want the upgrade, so they just charged us the lower category price. To me going from a J to a JJ isn't that big a change... if it has been inside to ocean view or something, that would have been cool...but I bet a call to your travel agent could result in some maneuvering. I know I will be calling ours again.

Ralph has a good friend also coming - which is good because they are both early risers, whereas I am a late to bedder... and my best friend and his partner are coming... the thought of this cruise is keeping me sane right now :)

Hey guys,

We got the same upgrade as well and moved up 5 decks to the same sized room, but closer to the activities, so to speak. We are both really looking forward to February!

Enjoyed your cruise pics Txflyer!

M&D

I can't believe it took me this long to find this "new" thread! We went on the RSVP Panama cruise last year (our 2nd RSVP winter cruise) and had thought we were going to take a year off. But after reading posts about the Mexican Riviera cruise last fall and as the months past, we finally decided to go ahead and take the plunge.

I've enjoyed reading all your comments so far about the upcoming cruise. I keep checking the RSVP website, and am surprised that the availablity of the various cabins hasn't seemed to change for the last couple of months. Either they haven't updated that info lately, or they are in severe need of more passengers.

I've also been checking out the excursions listed on the Princess Cruise site for St. Marteen and St. Thomas, but I know sometimes they have a few "special" excursions for the RSVP cruise. We are considering the Champagne Catamaran Sailaway to St. John, and the trip to Orient Beach on St. Marteen. Anyone else have suggestions. I know last year there was a group of you who arranged a private tour which we wished we had gotten in on (but we had already made our arrangements).

Even though the winter so far has been very mild here in Altoona, PA., we still can't wait to bask in the Caribbean sunshine. Let the countdown begin!

Max (and Bob)

Thanks for bringing that topic up. I have been to these stops before and would normally just stay on the ship and be lazy...except for my routine walk into town on St Thomas.....window shop and have long island ice teas at the bar in Drakes Passage.....then stumble back to the ship a happy sailor.

This time maybe a catamaran or pirate ship to be a bit more festive. If anyone has suggestions...let me know....I am ready for some fun!!!!!!!

I will look at the Princess site closely to see whats offered....I am sure they will be the same for our cruise.

I hope that we can get a Cruise Critic group together to do some fun activities....maybe let Princess know in advance that there will be a Cruise Critic group on board. I am under the impression Cruise Critic is acknowledged by the major cruise lines.

Cruise critic is recognized by RCI and NCL...and (at least they used to) they held special gatherings....not sure about Princess, but I am sure they might, too.

In St Maarten - I found the other side of the island far more interesting... but we just got off the ship, rented a jeep and roamed it ourselves. The area by the pier seems just like the shopping in St Thomas (or any caribbean cruise stop)... I remember the "big" draw in St Maarten being the America's Cup Challenge - or something like that...and there might be a boat trip to one of the surrounding islands.

St John is absolutely gorgeous, but is really just a beach/nature stop (unless there is something special being offered from there)... and remember, we just stop there to let the excursion people off, and continue to dock in St Thomas. And you can easily get back to St John from the pier in St Thomas.. there are several water taxi options...itis truly beautiful if you've never been, because it feels like what the Caribbean probably used to be like before the influx of tourists.

I've driven all of St Thomas, and done all the shopping, and taken the tram up to the top, etc... unless there's something special offered, we will probably take the shopping walk and that's it. Shore days are always the best for specials in spa :)

Good morning everyone,

My partner and I will be joining you on this cruise. This will be our first RSVP cruise and we are really looking forward the it. We are flying into Ft. Lauderdale on the 22nd so if anyone else is going early we would really enjoy getting together for dinner and meeting some people before we sail. This will also be our first time sailing with Princess. The trip can't get here fast enough for us!

Kent & Andy

I too will arrive in Ft lauderdale on Feb 22 (staying at Pineapple Point). If there is interest in meeting for dinner that night, or the 23rd, count me in. The night before the cruise will be the gathering at the CubbyHole which I will attend.

As for St Maarten.....having spent 5 days there before a cruise a few years ago I got to know the Dutch side pretty well...been there done that. The gay beachwas nice, but if you are on a gay cruise, a gay beach presents nothing special. The beaches on the French side are bigger and more fun.

Unless something special is offered, I plan on going on the Golden eagle catamaran over to the small beach they use. I have enjoyed the sail over, snacks and beach time...the crew handled the gay crowd with alot of fun. So consider this as an option.

As for the previous note concerning the Champagne catamaran in St Thomas......that sounds like fun, and any shopping can be done at Havensight next to the ship upon return. So count me in on the Champagne cruise.

Now what to wear to this red party.........that is the big question.......

As for the construction party, I can just see airport security questioning a tool belt, a 16 oz claw hammer, a cats paw and assorted tools completing the "total look". I'll never get out of Philly! What were they thinking...construction.....cut off levi shorts, construction boots......lordy lordy.....da vapors!

RMS- I have read that the Caribbean Princess now docks at a different pier called Crown Bay, which is about 1 1/2 miles from Havensight, so a cab is needed to get there. There is a new shopping/dining complex being built at Crown Bay that, according to a cruise critic, will give Havensight some "formidable competition". Depending on the timing of the 4 hour Champagne Catamaran cruise to St. John (which includes snorkling), there should still be plenty of time to do some shopping.

Max

RMS-I hate to say it but yes-Crown Bay is basically the old Sub Base near Frenchtown. As you know-it is a bit farther from town.

For everyone else: If we are docked at Crown Bay, we're not talking a lot of distance from town-but it isn't necessarily the most attractive walk. Also, I'm not sure what kind of rental facilities are ready. I lived on St. Thomas for a couple of years, so the last time we were there we rented a car (at Havensight) and took another gay couple (we were on a straight Princess) around the island. You can pretty much make it form one end to the other in half an hour. There are some great out of the way beaches only the locals know.

This time I think we may focus solely on St. John. I haven't done the underwater snorkel trail at Trunk Bay in a lot of years. Also would like to hike down to the petroglyphs although it's two miles down and two miles back up. Most likely St. John will be a beach day for me-Bill will probably roam the park.

Just some quick info: Getting to St. John is easy-ferries run right from the waterfront downtown, just check to see what time the last one returns. If you miss it-you have to get a ferry to Red Hook (on the East End) and then a taxi back to town or the ship. Traffic can be bad at that time of day, since only one direct road comes into town from that part of the island. 47 days and counting!!!!!

Yes...i went on line and found out where we are going to tie up. The walk into the shopping area is an easy one, but if this is where the ship normally berths, then there will be transportation available.

I must admit that location provides me a very intense memory, something that happened while on the Horizon......but that is a memory shared over cocktails....wink wink wink.

Me...its off on some sort of sailing excursion...maybe over to St John...which is a wonderful place in my book.

I received my DVD of the Mexico cruise this weekend...and watching it only got me more excited about this upcoming voyage!

I cant wait!

Looking forward to meeting fellow Cruise Critic members on board.

Happy Monday!

Ciao

Hi All,

We will be joining you on the Caribbean Fantasy Cruise next month and we couldn't be more excited! I hope all the guests are as fun as you guys sound. Seems like only yesterday my countdown said six months until we set sail, now it's just around the corner!

Anyone have further information on entertainers yet? I found the DC Cowboys at www.dccowboys.org by Googling our cruise.

Anyway, we look forward to sharing the ship with you.

Tim and Rick

Archived