ROLL CALL: 2/25/07 Caribbean Princess

MattInFLL

This will be my first RSVP cruise, 2nd time on Caribbean Princess and 18th cruise overall. I've been to ST. Thomas and ST. Maarten many times, so if anyone has any questions about either, please let me know. As for excursions while on the two island: I agree that if you can get to ST. John's, it is one of the most beautiful places in the World. I have taken both ferries from the downtown area and also Red Hook. I found it easier to take a taxi shuttle to Red Hook and take the 20min ferry to ST. John. Once on ST. John, take a taxi to Trunk bay for a few hours on a very clean and "Post-Card" perfect beach. There is a small snack bar, restrooms with showers, snorkel rental, and plenty of drivers to take you back to the pier for the ferry back to Red Hook. I would allow 1hr - 1 1/2hr to get from the ship to Trunk Bay, and the same on the return. I would get to ST. John first thing in the morning, then if you want to shop, have the taxi drop you off in Charlotte Amalie, and you can either take a walk back to the ship or a short taxi.

ST. Maarten: If you want a day at a beach that provides a nice beach, beach activities such as jetski, parasailing, ect., a good choice of beach-front informal resteurants and bars, and at one end a nude beach and nudist resort, then I would just take a taxi to Orient Bay Beach. Again, you can have your driver drop you off downtown on your return to shop, and it's a 20min walk back to the ship. There's a few shops near the ship also if you just want to pick up a quick gift. I also hear that both Islands will have catamaran party/snorkeling/beach party tours. Now this could be very fun.

I agree, I would rather be docking at Havensight Piers (ST. Thomas)because Crown Bay Piers are not fully commercially developed. The view's of the Island are much more appealing from the ships docked at Havensight.

Have a great time guys!

Hey Tim & Rick:

Congratulations on your google-find concerning the appearance of the DC Cowboys. That now explains the picture on the RSVP website when you click on "The Entertainers". Surely they will be posting more detailed information very soon about the activities schedule.

Thanks, TravelerRoss:

Your detailed information about St. Thomas/St. John and St. Maarten is very helpful, and it is good to have an experienced traveler to answer questions. We definitely want to visit St. John. And we were going to take the ship's excursion to Orient Beach on St. Maarten, but now that I know more it seems just as easy to go on our own via taxi and not be confined to a certain time frame.

Here are some websites I have found that might be helpful for some of you:

http://www.gobeach.com/page3.htm

http://www.*****/stthomas/

http://www.geographia.com/st-martin/index.htm

http://www.st-maarten.com/

http://www.*****/general_usvi/cruiseship/ (This last website will tell what ships are docking on the day we visit St. Thomas and which dock)

Max :rolleyes:

Hi Tim and Rick,

You will enjoy Orient Beach. I would compare cost of the ships excursion to that of going on your own. It's only around $6.00 each way, and you are not on any time schedule. Your driver will usually tell you about sights between the port and Orient Beach (not much to interest to see, but great views of the ocean), and most drivers will stop at the "Border" between St. Maarten and St. Martin to pose for a photo. If it's a nice day, I will see you guys at the beach!

I remember by this time last year, RSVP had already sent out a "final" entertainment list, as well a more detailed schedule...actually, they sent out links to special pages on their web site out of public view... has anyone seen this yet for this year?

RMS - can't wait to hear about your last time at the sub base :)

Three years of living in FTL, and I have not been to the Cubby Hole yet... I'll see if I can drag Ralph on over. Or maybe we can do lunch at Pineapple Point.

Welcome to all the new people!

I just checked out Amy and Freddy's webpage and they will again be joining us on the cruise. I try to see their show everytime I'm in Chicago and as many times as I can on the RSVP cruises. They are not to be missed! Anyone found anything else>

Thanks for the info on St. John/St. Martin as well. Does anyone plan on doing any scuba or is it even a good place to go down under? Not sure I really want to drag all the gear, but we'll see.

Hi Kent and Andy--you are in our part of the woods!

M&D

I LOVE Amy & Freddy!!!!

After seeing them last year and buying one of their CD's, I suggested on the survey at the end of the cruise that they be given the main stage to perform.

I doubt it was because of me, but anyway I have heard or read somewhere that they WILL be one of the main entertainers in the Princess Theatre this cruise. So everyone, you have been warned. DO NOT MISS THEM!

This is going to be so freakin fun. Goin to the gym every morning getting ready for the cruise! Want to start doing all my online shopping for specialty items...wish RSVP would post the details of the activities soon! Did everyone sign up for anytime dining? That will make it so much nicer than being locked into a specific time frame. I know last year I hated to leave the sunhat T-dance to go for dinner. Things were getting a little "frisky"!

Max (and Bob)

Thanks Monumax and TravelerRoss for the suggestions. I did a quick Google of Orient Beach and saw some eye candy (and somethings that frightened me.) :-) We are shopping like crazy too and are working out.

A few questions for you cruise vets... Do people still decorate their doors? Suit or Tux for the formal nights?

We just upgraded to a balcony room B206 which is near the front of the ship. Anyone have any preference of where they are on ship?

We are very glad to have found this board! You all sound great and we hope to run into you on board. One thing we really hope to get from this cruise (other than fun and relaxation) is good friends.

Have a great day everyone and just in case you wanted to know my countdown says 1 month, 14 days, 7 hours, 46 minutes and 59 seconds!

I'm all the way down on Plaza deck......this way regardless of how late it is, how much beverage I have.....its all down hill...Gravity take me home.

Matt.....you will appreciate the memory of the old sub pier memory.....it will take either 2 cosmos or long island iced teas..........oh da vapor!

Gee....all the gym bunnies are gettin ripped, pumped and accessorized.......better get my traps ready to put out on deck........

Hi Tim-n-Rick,

Yes, it is still a great idea to decorate your cabin door. Not only does it make the ship more festive and tells a little bit about the cabin's occupants, but it also helps me to find my way around the place (kinda like leaving a bread crumb trail!)

For the formal night on the cruise, Bob and I wore our tuxs the last two years, while our friends wore dark suits. This year, since we both are currently rehearsing for a community theatre production of "Dracula:The Case of the Silver Scream" in which we wear white dinner jackets for one scene, we are going to borrow them for the cruise. It will make the obligatory photo that we buy different from last year!

Speaking of packing (were we?), last year we both had to pay $50 fines because our bags were overweight from all the different theme outfits! We had even brought a third bag. So this year we will both probably have two bags each (plus carry-ons).

We usually try to book a cabin in the center of the ship, as we were told it wouldn't rock as much. Last year we had a balcony (very nice), but this year we are "slumming it" with an inside cabin. We are on the same floor as you guys (B511), so maybe we can get an invite to your balcony for a drink! I did read somewhere on Cruise Critic that someone had a cabin near the front of the ship and it was very noisy as the ship breaks the waves. Hopefully this isn't always true.

One more thing, then I'll "shut up" (at least for now):

I figure if enough of us from the cruise ship invade Orient Beach, then we can block out some of those "frightening things" :eek:with more pleasurable things! ;)

Max

RMS, by no means am I a gym bunny. Just me in the basement with the Gazelle. Just trying to lose a few lbs before the shirt comes off. So, Rick and I will jump over the bunny traps and buy you a Long Island Tea.

Monumax, thanks for the reply. I've got some stuff to decorate our door so now I'll feel more comfortable bringing it. Also, thanks for indulging a cruise virgin's questions. You and Bob are here by invited for a drink on the balcony even if we can't hear each other over the crashing waves!

Ok, here I go again, how do you handle tipping? I know it is included in the price, but do you tip over and above? Directly to the staff? And, I know it is a NO NO, but does anyone bring a.k.a. smuggle alcohol on board?

Tired of my questions yet?

Here is my little secret way of smuggling booze onto the cruise that worked to perfection last year: Buy a large bottle of Listerine. Transfer mouthwash to smaller containers and rinse bottle thoroughly. Fill bottle with whiskey (looks exactly like Listerine!). Put bottle in zip-lock plastic bag and pack in suitcase.

Concerning tipping, last year we gave our cabin steward an extra $20 at the onset for good service (we laughed at the way Bob said it because it sounded too much like he was coming on to the guy!) I'm not sure it had any affect on how we were treated. Also, if we order room service for breakfast we sometimes tip. But there is no need to tip for drinks or waiter service. RSVP actually charges and pays more for tips than regular cruises, I believe.

To RSM: Well, its about time for me to HOP, HOP, HOP to the gym. Trust me, I'm not a gym bunny (although I go 6 days a week, which seems like

I am now contradicting myself). I'm just a middle aged gay man trying

to maintain what's left of my youth! :p

Max

The group is getting festive on this board......will make for a great trip.

As for the comment on "frightening things"...I pride myself on being one of those frightening things...somewhere between......what is it and I thought they were extinct....and get a load of the ...what is that......and what is it used for..........oh my, get me off this ship! Not in my life boat......and I thought Don Knotts looked bad.........

Ah......time to sharpen the traps.......

I also interpreted the "frightening things" to be of the women's variety (but in no case do I want to offend any of our women friends that may frequent this board. We don't need any more Donald vs Rosie feuds (GO RO!);)

MaX

kenth59,

No doubt you'll enjoy this cruise. Have you guys been on other gay charters? Hope to meet up with you. My partner and I live in Miami so we don't have far to go.

Jim & Terry

Hi Jim & Terry,

We have cruised with several different gay groups before but this will be the first time for an all gay charter. Really looking forward to it and hope we can meet up with you guys also. Wish that we were that close, but at least we are coming in early so we can enjoy a few days in Ft. Lauderdale ahead of time. See you all soon!

Kent & Andy

Hey guys, I will be cruising too, Ive had some bad luck in the past with being placed with a roommate. Any one out there looking for a cool roommate. Im 34 5'8 165 enjoy the night life and love to have fun. Not looking for a sexual partner, who knows though, but someone cool to room with, who isnt a stick in the mud. Hit me up if you any questions, or think we could be roommates.

I can't believe that we are going to do this.... but I think we are going to book this RSVP cruise as well! We just booked a verandah cabin on the Mediterranean cruise this summer this week.... NOW THIS!

We are going for an inside room on this one though. :)

We have never been on a gay cruise before. We have heard lots of good things about RSVP.

So I think we are going to book tomorrow?!?

Kent & Andy,

It's going to be a very nice cruise. The Caribbean Princess has many positive reviews from previous guests. It's great to have a nice ship but the crowd on the RSVP cruises make the ship regardless of its size or /age. Lets get together for drinks. We're in R411.

Jim & Terry

Tim n Rick - when you upgraded, was it part of their one category upgrade offer? Or did your travel agent work a deal because the ship is not sold out? If we remain in our inside, I will be fine, but balconies can be nice, especially at night.

I forget who mentioned it, but yes middle of the ship and a lower deck means less movement - think of the middle of a see saw - if you are prone to motion sickness. Ralph gets sea sick in a bath tub, so he heads straight to the infirmary for a shot of Fenergan. Knocks you out for 5 hours, but lasts 6-7 days, and is worth the $$ for him. Way back when I used to get sea sick, I wore the electronic wrist band (works on hang overs too)...now I don't get sea sick.

Not that I would know, but a good friend has shared his liquor secret with me: vodka in a large water bottle in your carry on (not on the plane any more, I mean at the port). Obviously, any of the clear liquors would work this way. And any of the whiskey, bourbons would work with the listerine idea. I hear dark rum looks just like cola. I also hear that they almost never find a bottle or two in your checked bags - but it better be well wrapped, as that would be a mess!

FYI, Princess has a bottle in the room program, where you can pre order a bottle of your favorite adult beverage, and have it in your room waiting. Not duty free pricing, but not gouging either. Royal Caribbean was the best - you used to be able to buy in the duty free shop and pay $10 extra and take it back to your room. Even with the $10, it still worked out cheaper than at home. Sadly, no other cruise line seems to do the same.

And I will say, having been on many cruise lines - Princess was the stingiest with the pours. I am the type of guy who *always* makes friends with bartenders, and always find a way to tip them extra, and always end up with a better drink once they get to know me. My Princess cruise is the only time ever, on land or sea, where I failed. In fairness to the bartender, Princess also used measured pour gadgets (maybe because of their British roots). Most of the other cruise lines still free pour.

Speaking of tipping - unless you have selected traditional dining where you will have the same waiter, the only person worth tipping extra is your cabin attendant. And the most effective way is usually to give them half of what you plan to give the very first day, thank them in advance, and let them know there will be more at the end of the cruise. It usually gets you great service (although, obviously, the tip needs to be a bit meaningful). Otherwise you might selectively tip someone a little extra cash for especially good service as it is given - say a waiter.

Formal night - back in '99 on my first RSVP cruise - there was a sea of tuxes. Last year on the Westerdam, seemed like less than a 1/3, with maybe another 1/3 in a suit or jacket tie. Its just gets more casual over time. I'm pretty sure we are going more casual.

To get on the ship.

Happy to read there will be others on board that are also doing the Rome trip...that will be nice seeing familiar faces.

With the incredible reduced pricing that is now being offered, I expect this cruise to fill up.

I will admit I am not a happy camper in that I have paid the full fare...and times 2 as a single. It seems that to wait till the last minute is better than booking while on board. I wish they could have done something more for alumni.....oh well....I know...stpo complaining and be happy I am going!

Now to figure out what to wear to this red party.......mother always said beware of women that wear red.....this shouldbe interesting

Mat...lets get together in Ft Laladale before the cruise..maybe get a few other posters to meet as an ice breaker!

Its cold here in Pa.....and I need some heat! Send some Florida sun shine up here....fast

Ciao.

Hey Guys,

We would like to meet up and socialize as well. It would be nice to meet in Ft Lauderdale but if that doesn't work perhaps we can swap cabin numbers and get together over drinks on the ship. We are in R411 and always like to meet new people. With 16 RSVP cruises under our belt we always reunite on cruises with friends from previous cruises.

Jim & Terry

Hi Matt! We did use the upgrade to the next level offer, but that only got us an unobstructed view, so we decided to spend the extra and get a balcony this time. I'm hoping we'll be fine with the motion (who knows it could be fun.) Thanks for the info.

Archived