Who agrees with me?

djm719

Umm, I'm going to disagree, had JS's on Grandeur and Mariner, they were great, booked in another JS on Grandeur Oct., 07, but.... just got done with a Grandeur cruise in an oceanview on deck 4 and loved it. It was so convenient to everything, and plenty big enough. I'm booked in an inside cabin on Radiance in the Spring to see how that works. It just depends, if I'm going for broke, love the JS or balcony, if I just want to go cruising and enjoy the ship, balcony is not required.

Happy cruising!

I absolutely agree! Our first couple of cruises were oceanview but became addicted to balconies after that. A suite each time would be nice but not practical......but......a balcony is a MUST! :D We don't spend a lot of time in our room but, of that time, most is spent on the balcony. Nothing better than miles and miles of empty ocean and the wonderful sound of the waves!

I've had balconies, oceanviews and insides. I go with whatever strikes me as the best bargain. To me, a balcony is great if there's something to look at other than water (e.g., Alaska). And I suppose it is nice to be able to relax on one's own private balcony. But I have absolutely no qualms about booking an inside. The pitch black darkness is incredibly conducive to a good night's sleep.

Our first 4 cruises were outside oceanview cabins. This time we are going on a balcony for the first time. I am so looking forward to eating breakfast out on our own private balcony, hanging out with a drink and just sitting there watching the waves and relaxing. I guess I'll never to back to an oceanview like the original OP said!

We just had an aft balcony on Crown Princess and found it very noisey because the A/C units were nearby.

I don't mind interior cabins on 3-5 night cruises when we are in port every day--especially when we get last minute bargains. I also didn't mind an interior cabin from Hawaii to Ensenada because the seas were rough and the air was cold two days into our 4 days at sea.

Only balcony for us, at the least catagory. We have sailed inside and once we had a balcony there was no going back. We'd choose a different vacation at that point. Now that we have saild mini (Jr) suites we won't go back.

We can only do one big vacation a year so we tend to go all out on several levels.

But...likes other's have said, we are not "spenders" in everyday life except on some things, so this is where we choose to afford a little luxuary. For us it really helps make the vacation.

I disagree....I have booked several balconies and JS. I say it depends on who you're cruising with. If I were to go with hubby or girlfriends, we book a balcony because we would tend to use it more. I have been on two cruises where the cigar/cigarette smoke has been so bad, we could not even open the door. When I cruise alone with my children, I usually book least expensive inside. To me a balcony does not make the cruise any better. I have equally great time in the least expensive cabin.

They say (who I do not know) that variety is the spice of life. I could not agree more with all that is said, it depends what you enjoy and what meets your needs for that time. We so enjoy the cruise no matter where we are, but having a balcony to us is the icing on the cake. We have had Js, Gs and will have a Gs this upcoming cruise, but the next one we take will probably be one with a balcony and not a suite. We so enjoy the peace and quiet that we experience in our room and balcony. What ever is your niche just KEEP GETTING OUT THERE!!!!!!!! Enyoy your cruise.

Ozzie63:D :D :D

For us, a balcony every time simply isn't affordable. Until our most recent cruise (Mariner western in August) we'd always had insides. Originally booked our standard category (M - inside mid ship) and then noticed a very reasonably priced upgrade to an E1 balcony. While we certainly did enjoy it, I would NEVER pay the normal price difference between these two categories. It would effectively double the price of almost any cruise. Two cruises in any given time period instead of one - I'll go that way. For that matter, even the upcharge to an ocean-view over an inside can represent a couple of nice shore excursions per person. Just no way to justify spending the extra on a cabin, when you're not dealing with unlimited resources. Like many, we have a budget per vacation, and money spent on one thing = doing without something else. I'm making this point so boldly in order to reassure those who may be thinking that they're the only ones in the history of cruising that pick their cabins based on price.

Happy Sails,

Annette

Once you go balcony, you never go back!!
We have only been on one cruise and it was a inside on the Vision 2 years ago. Money has been very tight this year, so all we could this year is book a 4 night on the Monarch leave on 12-11 @ $199.00 pp, our options were no cruise or a inside on the Monarch.

A question I will ask everyone who said I will only cruise with a balcony. If your $$$ changes will you give up crusing if you can no longer afford a Balcony?

We have only been on one cruise and it was a inside on the Vision 2 years ago. Money has been very tight this year, so all we could this year is book a 4 night on the Monarch leave on 12-11 @ $199.00 pp, our options were no cruise or a inside on the Monarch.

A question I will ask everyone who said I will only cruise with a balcony. If your $$$ changes will you give up crusing if you can no longer afford a Balcony?

When we could only afford what we could afford we did vacations cheaper We in our 40's now and have more availible to us, like time share's and vacation homes, that we don't get to take enough advantage of. So for us, yes! If I couldn't cruise in a balcony (at least with my hubby) I would opt for a different type of vacation. As it is, we loose out if we don't use our time share at least every other year.

Going with pals, might be another story. We drive an older model car, and watch our spending. I will clip coupons, shop at Walmart, and do what I have to, to save money that that we can use to splurge on the things we enjoy.

I think it's a matter of priorities. A lot of my friends are very brand concious, and have to have the best of stuff. We are not stuff people, we are ,quality of what you have, being satisfied with you have, and slurging on what you really want kind of folks.

We just make choices, and I'm greatful that we are on the same page with this. Having said that, yeah, Balconies only for us.

If you think you love the cruise having never traveled in a balcony, (in my opinion), you will fully expand your love for your cruise once you have one!

If it gets me on a cruise...I'd sleep in a closet. :o

AMEN! We've had everything from insides to JS and back again. We pick the cabin for how much time we will have to enjoy the amenities. If we plan on spending most of our time out of the cabin with friends or on a port intensive itinerary, it's economy cruising for us. When we plan on spending "quality time" in our room we splurge for the balcony.

Being in our 30's and with two children, we LOVE to travel and tend to go the least expensive way we can!!! We have splurged for a balcony for Alaska. It was worth it, but we would have still had a wonderful, memorable trip without it. We have sailed inside and oceanview. We want to go more than once a year (not necessarily cruises) and to do that we have to look at finances as well. That said, this year alone we will have had two cruises (one week long and one 11 nights), two weeks in Maui, and 5 days in Disneyland. We have to go the best pricing.... lol Next year we already have two trips booked - both are 12 day cruises. One is the Mexican Riviera and the other is Alaska.

Archived