Hampton Inn in Camden Yards, MD

debalex

Hi, I have been trying to find an Inner Harbor hotel in Baltimore for May 26, 2007 before we leave on the Grandeur the next day. I keep looking, and just found the Hampton Inn in Camden Yards on Washington Boulevard. Apparently this hotel is something else right now, as it is becoming a Hilton property the end of December.

Those of you in the know -- is this a good choice? I always have my standby reservation at the Embassy Suites Airport. :-)

Thanks in advance for your help!

Debbie

hmm depends on what it is now.

not sure about that street. the area by the ballpark is generally safe but parking downtown is a billion bucks.

the airport is probably easier to get around and you can hop the light rail right to camden yards.

if you have time, i suggest taking in an orioles game...beautiful park, GREAT food and really nice staff.........well worth it. plus i got to see cal ripkien play in his last season before retiring. THAT was amazing! (a little OT..sorry)

it may be new construction...i can't find anything right there.....post this on the RCCL board, attn RADIO....he lives down there and can maybe help you more than me.

i love it there....great food!

I thought the building going up in this location was apartments or condos. I had no idea that it was a hotel. Location is just beyond the left field wall of Oriole Park at Camden Yards and across the street from the Marriott Inner Harbor Hotel. It will be very popular with visitors to the University of Maryland Hospital and professional schools which are adjacent as well.

The only drawback will be the cost to park, figure at least $15/night, although there are lots a meters nearby, but if the Orioles are home that night, you will have trouble. On the bright side, it's about a 3 minute drive to the pier.

Meg, thanks for the advice. I would love to see a baseball game, I will have to check the schedule. :-) I see you are going to be in Bermuda the week before us, but on the Explorer. Have fun!!!

Howard, you are the one who steered me away from the Best Western a few weeks ago, I really appreciate the time you take helping all of us newbie Baltimore cruisers!

Meg and Howard: I sure hope that this is a new build, and there may not be anything else in that area that it could be! There is a listing for a Hilton downtown that it says is opening soon, but reservations are not being taken yet. When you find the Hampton Inn at 550 Washington Boulevard, it says "This hotel will be joining the Hilton Family soon and is presently accepting reservations for arrival December 15, 2006 and beyond." To me, that sounds like it is undergoing refurbishment (which is fine) and will switch over to a Hilton property at that time.

Thanks for the heads up on the parking -- My niece and I will be flying in to BWI, so that will be one less thing we have to worry about, thank goodness!

Debbie

Debbie, the Hilton you are referring to is a huge new project just beyond Camden Yard's center field. I used to park and just walk across the street to the ballpark where this hotel is going up.

I'm 99% sure the Hampton Inn is a new project as well, but I will drive by and check for you. Since they closed my parking for the new Hilton, I parked on the south side of the stadium and never passed by the site of the Hampton Inn.

Debbie, the Hilton you are referring to is a huge new project just beyond Camden Yard's center field. I used to park and just walk across the street to the ballpark where this hotel is going up.

I'm 99% sure the Hampton Inn is a new project as well, but I will drive by and check for you. Since they closed my parking for the new Hilton, I parked on the south side of the stadium and never passed by the site of the Hampton Inn.

Thanks so much, Howard. I guess it really doesn't matter if it is new build or existing, I just thought it might have another name now, and then would become a Hampton Inn when it switches over to the Hilton family. Either way, I am sure it will be very nice, and a great place for us to stay. I am thinking there must be a home game that weekend or else there are lots of Memorial Day weekend travelers since almost all the hotels in the area are showing as full. I felt very lucky to find a room there. :)

Debbie

Now I'm 99.99% sure it's new construction, but I'll still try to take a look on Tuesday.

Here's why you are having trouble booking. The NCAA Lacrosse Final Four is being held that weekend at the Ravens Stadium. Attendance will be around 40,000. The tournament doesn't end until Monday. The baseball schedule isn't even out yet, but with the lacrosse championships going on, I doubt the Orioles will be scheduled at home that weekend.

Now I'm 99.99% sure it's new construction, but I'll still try to take a look on Tuesday.

Here's why you are having trouble booking. The NCAA Lacrosse Final Four is being held that weekend at the Ravens Stadium. Attendance will be around 40,000. The tournament doesn't end until Monday. The baseball schedule isn't even out yet, but with the lacrosse championships going on, I doubt the Orioles will be scheduled at home that weekend.

Hmm, Paige and I may have to see if we can find tickets to a game that night. We are not getting in until mid afternoon. She is an absolutely beautiful (inside and out) 21 year old -- I'll have to watch out for her with all those good looking guys around! :)

If you get by to take a look, great! If not, don't worry about it. You have given us enough info already to know that it will be a great place to stay! Again, thanks for all your help. I'm getting ready to search the boards for good places to eat and sightsee!

Debbie

I've never cruised out of Baltimore, but have been there a few times on business.

With the light rail in place, staying around the airport would be a good option. Rail fair is cheap and easy from the airport area to the inner harbor.

Good Luck!

I've never cruised out of Baltimore, but have been there a few times on business.

With the light rail in place, staying around the airport would be a good option. Rail fair is cheap and easy from the airport area to the inner harbor.

Good Luck!

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts! We still have the Embassy Suites reservation for that very reason but we have just decided that we are going to cancel that one and keep the new Hampton Inn reservation just to be closer to downtown and the Inner Harbor area. One of the reasons I really like the CC boards is because of all the nice people like you who are willing to help! Thanks again, Debbie

Debbie, This is a brand new hotel. You should have a great stay there. It's a 4 block walk to the Inner Harbor and Harborplace.

Thanks for making the effort to check it out for us, Howard! I'm so happy I made that reservation now! Let me know if you have any recommendations of places to visit and a good restaurant for dinner that night. :) Hope to have a chance to say hello when we check in for the Bermuda cruise!

Debbie

• 1 month later...

Ooops, I thought I replied to this post a month ago, but I guess it didn't make it to the board.

I checked out the Amicci's site, Howard, and it looked great. In fact, I am now on their email list!

Please pass along any other great recommendations you have for us. Thanks again for all your help with checking out the hotel and the restaurant recommendation!

My husband and I are getting excited about our end of January cruise on the Radiance out of FLL. When we get back from that one, it will be time to start getting excited about this one! I find I survive a lot better if I have another cruise booked to look forward to when I get back to the real world! :)

Debbie

• 3 months later...

We are also interested in the Hampton Inn at Camden Yards. We are also considering the Embassy Suites just in case. There will be a game the night we are there, so we are not sure if this is a good thing. We'll be on the Grandeur about a month after you.

We'd love to hear a report once you're back.

Dena

Archived