Can We Still Count The Days As Time Cruised?

VegasRealtor

I'm sure someone will know the answer to this one so here goes - we had a b2b scheduled on the Westerdam last December and had to cancel due to DW's dad's death (which occured while we were actually on our flight to MIA). We arrived at the airport and were paged while waiting for our luggage, got the luggage, then took the first available flight home.

Fortunately, we had taken out travel insurance, as we always do. The insurance company reimbursed us for the entire trip, but HAL was still paid, technically by us, for the entire 2 weeks (S suite, no less). Can we still count the 14 days as time cruised? Seems to me like we can but??

Any help would be appreciated.

USS Ruchamkin APD 89 June '66 - November '69 (seemed like forever)

Sitmar 1978 7 days (GREAT FOOD!)

Navarino (Greek ship) 1980 Med 18 days

Carnival Tropicale 1983 7 days

X Horizon 1999 10 days

RCCL Vision 2000 11 days

RCCL Splendour 2001 10 days

X Summit 2002 10 days

NCL Star 2003 7 days

Zuiderdam 2003 7 days

Carnival Pride 2004 7 days

Oosterdam 2004 14 days

Zuiderdam 2005 14 days

NCL Star 2005 5 days Repo

Westerdam Panama Canal 2006 18 days

RCCL Radiance 2006 7 day repo

Westerdam December 2006 7 days I hope

WHEW!!:cool:

I can only tell you that we also cancelled a cruise hours before boarding and were reimbursed by our travel insurance. No, those cancelled cruise days were not included in our Mariner days and we never thought a thing about it. We didn't cruise those 10 days and therefore they didn't count as days cruised. It would only mean 10 extra days towards an eventual Mariner pin anyway, so no big deal to begin with, but days cruised are days cruised and if you're not on the ship you aren't cruising. ;)

Unfortunately, it's "days sailed", not "days paid for".

I didn't get credit for 22 days I paid for but didn't get to sail when my husband died in the embarkation city. So I didn't get my next medallion until one cruise later---I still got the free drink and the good nuts at the party.

While I cannot speak for HAL, sadly we were in a similar situation last January with RCCL. We did not have insurance, however. We have been loyal RCCL (and HAL) cruisers for 20 years. I firmly believe in "nothing ventured, nothing gained." I called RCCL's Crown & Anchor desk and explained what had happened. My position was that RCCL had my money for the cruise but did not have the expenses associated with my being on the ship. I asked that, as a courtesy to a long-time customer, they extend the appropriate cruise credit. Well, it took me several calls going up the ladder to a number of people, but in the end I did receive the credit for the cruise. The bottom line is agents do have some discretion as to the actions they take. You just have to be persistent, and polite - and if the person you're talking to cannot make the decision keep asking for someone higher up who can.

That said, I extend my sympathy to you and your family on your loss. Good luck

I'm sure someone will know the answer to this one so here goes - we had a b2b scheduled on the Westerdam last December and had to cancel due to DW's dad's death (which occured while we were actually on our flight to MIA). We arrived at the airport and were paged while waiting for our luggage, got the luggage, then took the first available flight home.

Fortunately, we had taken out travel insurance, as we always do. The insurance company reimbursed us for the entire trip, but HAL was still paid, technically by us, for the entire 2 weeks (S suite, no less). Can we still count the 14 days as time cruised? Seems to me like we can but??

Any help would be appreciated.

Dear popcruisers,

I'm so sorry for your family's loss. The death of a loved one, like this, is sad and a difficult time.

Unfortunately for your situation, as has already been stated only days spent aboard ship as a passenger actually count as "days on HAL." I'm sorry.

;) Thank you all for your kind replys. I only just wanted to be able to count those 14 days toward Mariner days, but it sounds like I probably won't be able to without going through a lot of trouble. It is always a great shock to lose someone close, especially when it's so unexpected. It takes quite awhile to get rid of the numbness. Just thought I'd throw it out there as a friendly question....

Dave:)

So very sorry for your losses.

The times of loss make the times of gain more thought of well.

On the ship it is as most things spent. Actual and factual.

Otherwise it would be like voting, armed services, etc... had been before someone could be payed to take your stay in it.

Hi missabby,

I'll bet HAL has no guilt about getting paid twice for the same room.

But they didn't get paid twice! They were paid only once.... by the passenger. The insurrers reimbursed the passengers.

HAL and the crew lost on the deal. The cabin was probably empty for two weeks. HAL lost the onboard revenue for two passengers for two weeks. The crew lost their $10 per day tip.... $280 and the bar staff lost their 15% of bar revenue.

Stephen

If you cancelled after already having arrived in FL HAL could not possibly have sold your room twice. From everything we have learned on this board because of security procedures there are no more bookings made that close to sailing. But that is immaterial to Mariner days at sea anyway.

Sorry about your loss. I'm sure you will rebook as we did when we had to cancel and the cruise will mean all the more to you then. Worst case scenario would have been to have set sail and then had to fly home from some island mid-cruise.

Archived