How do you find out if..

sheilb4

We found out a few days ago that our next cruise on the Spirit has a large country group taking over most of the ship.:( I can take about two country songs and thats it for me. I tried listening to their station thinking that I might get used to it but I really don't like country. Oh well.

We are still going to have a great cruise. We have our wedding anniversary and Super bowl to look forward to.:)

http://www.clearchannelcruises.com/countrymusiccruise07_p1.html

I might just find a hat and a pair of boots and join them.

I checked my next sailing and I see I have a group called Dialysis at Sea.

Never heard of them, but it ought to be a pisser!

I agree with Sheilb4... on my cruise two years ago, we had a retirement home sail with us. No joke, before we set sail, my family and I were eating lunch, I got up to get some more lemonaide and a guy in front of me fell over and had a heart attack! He litterally landed 3 feet away from me... talk about a great start!

We had to make four extra stops (places not on our itinerary or back to places we had already been!) to let people off. The final total I heard was 13 people had to be dropped off (things like staff with apendicidis and some of the older people that had died... 3 or 4 as I recall!). It was on that cruise that I found out they actually have a morgue on board (as well as a jail... both make sense I suppose!).

We got into port late and with a mix of a late arrival and a terrible bus driver, my family missed our flight from FL to ID. We got stuck in Florida for two days, then in Salt Lake for a few days. We barely made it home for Christmas!

Perhaps here at Cruise Critic we could "look out" for one another. Perhaps the board could add a section (like Roll Call) and call it Group Call. Then when we see groups that going to be out there on the various cruise lines..we could report it!

There is a section called Theme Cruises under Special Interest Cruising.

When you are checking for groups sailing with you don't always include the ship's name. Some groups won't list the name in order to prevent someone from skipping the TA handling the group.

Also remember that a lot of groups won't be on the web looking for people. Church groups, family reunions, local function groups are all likely to only be pulling from within their own group already for a cruise.

Sheilb, I listen to 101.1 (the rock station you had) and we've been to a few of their dry land events. From the stories they have told about the cruise in radio reviews it must have been an interesting time to say the least, and people complained about our group on it right before you.

These are some websites I found that I have added to a separate file on my Favorites list called "group cruises". I plan to check these sites before I book a cruise and also before I enter the penalty phase for cancellations.

Please be advised that the nasca.com is "adult only" from page one. I only tried to include cruises that were "theme cruises" and not those who chartered the entire ship.

http://www.redhatsociety.com/

http://www.nasca.com/states/travel-resorts.html

http://www.countrymusictravel.com/

http://teachers.net/classifieds/misc/topic846/10.04.06.16.12.30.html

Perhaps we could add to this list as people run across them on the Web.

We found out a few days ago that our next cruise on the Spirit has a large country group taking over most of the ship.:( I can take about two country songs and thats it for me. I tried listening to their station thinking that I might get used to it but I really don't like country. Oh well.

We are still going to have a great cruise. We have our wedding anniversary and Super bowl to look forward to.:)

http://www.clearchannelcruises.com/countrymusiccruise07_p1.html

I might just find a hat and a pair of boots and join them.

We are on the Spirit for this week as well. Found out about the group when one of the poeple that work for the people putting it together posted on the rollcall. Not a country fan myself so this should be interesting.

So glad I asked this question and thanks for your replies. I just did a search for my cruise on 12/2...can't believe what I just found out...It a group cruise for Mind and Body Mens' Fitness....now what can I expect??? I am traveling solo as I usually do, so is this a good thing? or will it be a ship full of beautiful gay men...LOL Now I have no clue whether this is a positive of negative for my cruise.....

Anyone know anything about this?

Interesting huh, so glad I looked...I think!

Men's Fitness is a mens bodybuilding/fitness magazine. It is a cruise sponsored by them. http://www.mensfitness.com/scoreboard/20 My guess is there would be a lot of body building types onboard. They advertised fitness classes and seminars. I wouldn't mind sailing on that one. :D :p

Men's Fitness is a mens bodybuilding/fitness magazine. It is a cruise sponsored by them. http://www.mensfitness.com/scoreboard/20 My guess is there would be a lot of body building types onboard. They advertised fitness classes and seminars. I wouldn't mind sailing on that one. :D :p

I would not mind either as long as they don't mess up my dining preference...wait a minute...no one can mess up my dining preference, because we are Platinum!!! yea!!

Leave the Fantasy in "good shape" for us in December!! (yes, that pun was intended)

I would not mind either as long as they don't mess up my dining preference...wait a minute...no one can mess up my dining preference, because we are Platinum!!! yea!!

Leave the Fantasy in "good shape" for us in December!! (yes, that pun was intended)

Funny:p - Actually that group cruise is also sponsored by "Shape" which is a women's fitness magazine so there should be both men and women fitness nuts aboard.

I will make sure the Fantasy is still able to sail after we return. I will have lots of pictures(photography is my hobby and I have a new camera) and a full review for you upon our return. :)

We are on the Spirit for this week as well. Found out about the group when one of the poeple that work for the people putting it together posted on the rollcall. Not a country fan myself so this should be interesting.

Me, too. In fact, my husband is seriously considering paying airline penalty fees and switching dates to avoid the country music that neither one of us (nor our 2 teens) can stand. I hope it doesn't affect the music in the bars/disco. OTOH, maybe I should go buy a pair of cowboy boots, and do some line dancing :rolleyes:

Are you serious? Dialysis at Sea??? now that would be a cruise I would def reconsider, a bunch of poor sick folks that have to be on their machines every 2 days or so...I guess they take the machines onboard and have a nurse with them etc??? Not aware they can even do that??

Would find that somewhat sad, and I am sure a bunch of wheel chairs to fill up the ship, for those really sick, but hey! how wonderful for them to be able to take a trip like this, just would personally prefer another cruise date myself.....

I'm sorry that being around someone who has a chronic, but treatable, illness would make you sad. Me? I'd rather be around this group of "poor sick folks" who just want to live life to the fullest rathan than a group of folks who just want to get drunk.

People doing a cruise through Dialysis at Sea are trying to live their lives with as much joy and "normalacy" as they can - traveling and experiencing life with their families and friends as much as they can. It's a great service.

Please note, they are doing Cruises:

Eastern Caribbean 11/12/2006 Miami to Miami 7 days Royal Caribbean

Southern Caribbean 11/23/2006 Ft. Lauderdale to Ft. Lauderdale 10 days Holland America

Hawaii 11/26/2006 San Diego to San Diego 15 days Holland America

Mexican Riviera 11/16/2006 San Diego to San Diego 10 days Holland America

Panama Canal 11/20/2006 Miami to Miami 11 days Royal Caribbean

Panama Canal 11/29/2006 Ft. Lauderdale to Ft. Lauderdale 10 days Holland America

Valparaiso 11/20/2006 Rio De Janeiro to 16 days Holland America

and that's just in Nov 2006!

Space is limited to a maximum of 12 patients per sailing.

http://www.dialysisatsea.com/about.aspx

Here's an article about them:

http://web.naplesnews.com/03/10/travel/d950007a.htm

(getting down from my soapbox now)

I'm sorry that being around someone who has a chronic, but treatable, illness would make you sad. Me? I'd rather be around this group of "poor sick folks" who just want to live life to the fullest rathan than a group of folks who just want to get drunk.

People doing a cruise through Dialysis at Sea are trying to live their lives with as much joy and "normalacy" as they can - traveling and experiencing life with their families and friends as much as they can. It's a great service.

Southern Caribbean 11/23/2006 Ft. Lauderdale to Ft. Lauderdale 10 days Holland America

Panama Canal 11/29/2006 Ft. Lauderdale to Ft. Lauderdale 10 days Holland America

Personally I would not consider 12 people a "group", so I doubt anyone would have a problem. When we talk groups...we are talking about as many as 500 - 600 people on a 2,000 - 2,500 passenger ship. Now that is a group.

But what about the people who think just getting drunk IS living life to the fullest? Seriously I have to agree with LHP, 12 isn't a group like most of us are thinking. I don't think anyone minds a few people in wheelchairs/walkers/ect, or that just have to disappear for a couple hours every so often. But 500 of them might be a downer for some people.

I too am a family member of someone ( my father ) who has been on kidney dialysis for over 2 years now....and with sadness, will NEVER have a transplant! We are always looking for a way to spend quality time with him. Vacations are almost nil because of the need to be back for dialysis every second day. ( weekends are the only 2 days straight ).

These cruises are invaluable to people like us!!

I cannot believe that some of you would think that because you are on dialysis you are wheelchair bound and old or dying!! How ignorant.

There are sadly young children and people of ALL ages whom are suffering with kidney disease.

Believe me....you would not have to be a witness to their 3 1/2 hour treatments every second day while they are cruising. Although......maybe one should have to SEE what this experience truly is like to get a more respectful insight into what is actually considered "funny"!

Being that I am from CANADA, the connentation of the word "PISSED" takes on a whole different meaning for me....and.....I can say after reading some of these posts....."Pissed" accurately describes how I am feeling :(

Thank you LITTLEBIT for the links to the above web sites!!!

As a side note, I really don't consider 12 a group either, but keep in mind it is 12 PATIENTS, they may be bringing several family memebers each, so it could easily be considered a group of 20-40 people easily. I posted the info because there was a question/comment about this group and I wanted people to know more about them, just in case you wanted to be better informed if you come across them while cruising.

Guest CRUZIN' SUZIN

IMPO

40 or 50 of just about anything is not a problem to the other passengers on a cruiseship. Actually 500 of well-behaving folks in one group is also fine. It is when one group figures that they have sufficient numbers to turn the cruise into their own personal little world with no regard to ther other passengers that trouble and bad feelings occur.

Now, the people with dialysis issue would be as welcome as anyone else. However, if "they are trying to live life to the fullest" translates to "the heck with your vacation, we are in great number and the ship is now ours" then yes, a lot (most?) people would rather not subject their vacation to that.

No one wants to offend anyone. Everyone just wants to enjoy themselves without impacting everyone else. (or at least it should be like that.

Yikes! I just booked my next cruise last week - did all the group searches ahead of time and found nothing but just tried again and found a group on our cruise I'm a little concerned about. Not going to name it here - I don't wan't to start any arguments. We'd just rather not be with any large group that looks to have the potential of taking over the ship and being on the boisterous side. Going to have to reconsider either ship and/or dates.

I'm so disappointed - I was really looking forward to doing Halloween on board!!!

As a side note, I really don't consider 12 a group either, but keep in mind it is 12 PATIENTS, they may be bringing several family memebers each, so it could easily be considered a group of 20-40 people easily. I posted the info because there was a question/comment about this group and I wanted people to know more about them, just in case you wanted to be better informed if you come across them while cruising.

Even with 20 - 40 people each, this is a situation where these are families that will probably eat at different times. They will not be taking over entire areas of the ship. I don't anyone would have a problem with 12 folks in a wheelchair, especially when the rest of their families are just going to be regular folk.

I admire anyone with a disability living their life to the fullest.

Our cruise on the Inspiration was with the "playful swingers" group, I would have loved to have had a few dialysis or country music cruisers!

I googled, called Carnival and checked other websites looking for groups nothing showed up for ours. When we returned I did a search using just "swingers cruise" and that showed up. We like to travel in the fall as DD has fall break, I did a quick search and found that our trip for next year is swinger free, at least not a group of them. You better think twice if you are planning a trip on the Elation in Sept., if you are traveling with kids.

Not going to name it here - I don't wan't to start any arguments. We'd just rather not be with any large group that looks to have the potential of taking over the ship and being on the boisterous side.

It's a group of nuns isn't it?

It's a group of nuns isn't it?

Dark Jedi...not to be nosey and off subject, but is that a slit in your DW/SO's dress in your avatar? If it is, she is quite daring and wow, good for her that she has the confidence to pull that off! I was just curious cause I couldn't tell if it was part of the dress or her leg!

Thanks for letting me get off subject for a second!:)

You need to re-read my post. I certainly was not bashing the dialysis patients, my gosh! not at all!!

Yes I do feel sad as I am very aware of what they have to go through, as well as their families/loved ones, and if you read on you would see that I mentioned that I thought it wonderful they were able to go on a cruise as I wasn't aware they could go with machines etc and wondered if they had nurses with them. I think its great!

I know on average these people are not old, dying or wheelchair bound. Believe me I am fully empathetic for them, and have had experience caring for dialysis patients myself. Again I repeat that I think it wonderful for them to have an opportunity to have such a vacation. So I think you may have misunderstood where I was coming from.

Archived