Uh oh what would you do?

The Only thing I would have blamed you for was IF you didnt reccomend a cruise line and they happen to pick barnaval because they didnt get any opinion on what line to go on. You however did vouch for RCCL.

So you cannot be faulted for anything. If they come back and say the cruise stunk why did you suggest that, Your reply would simply be i vouched for RCCL nothing else.

YOUR IN THE CLEAR No matter what they say or how they feel.

Not your fault at all! And I certainly hope they are not blaming you for their bad time. They asked for a recommendation, you gave it to them. It's not your duty to hold their hands the whole time to make sure everything was alright. They didn't do their research, it's their fault.

Even if they had gone on a RCCL cruise and hated it, you can't be blamed.

I ask people for recommendations and opinions all the time and if I do take a recommendation, I still do research for myself.

Stop stressing. They are adults and if they didn't know what they were "signing" for with each drink purchase, that simply cannot be your fault! That said, I do have a solution for the "drink pushers" on ANY line... I simply ask for an ice water. Guess what? They bring it and then they stop asking you... HAHA

Let these folks do their all-inclusives--they deserve it!

eat

Some of us do, and enjoy, both. There are some top notch AI's out there that offer an excellent experience. I choose based on what type of vacation I am in the mood for personally and it has nothing to do with drinks being included.

Not everyone will enjoy a cruise since we are all different, with our own concept of what makes a great vacation. If the OP's friends were put off by Carnival, so be it. They are not the line for everyone, but neither is RCI. Who's to say the OP's friends would have been any more impressed with an RCI ship?

On my last two RCI cruises, drink pushing was at all time high. There was even a Cocoloco cart on the tender back and forth to CocoCay. I found it a bit much, personally.

It was nice of you to help out. You did the right thing, and I'm sure the reason they went with "C" is because of $$$. What a sweet idea coming from their kids. Most kids that age are too wrapped up in themselves to remember an anniversary, let alone plan something so special for their 25th. I know it's hard for most of us to believe, but some people just don't enjoy cruising. I don't think it had anything to do with "C". If you like to go on cruises, you would enjoy yourself on "C", especially your first cruise. Well, it's a good thing they made the drink mistake on that cruiseline, because their drink prices are a bargain compared to other cruiselines. I think those drinks are over $12 on Celebrity!

Sorry, but I think they probably wouldn't like cruising no matter what line it was...guess they better stick with the all-inclusive vacations.

My last cruise was on Carnival and I have to say it has been our best so far. No pushy drinks, food rated above RC, next cruise is on RC, next after that back to Carnival!!! Guess you can say, We just LOVE cruising!!!:D

First of all I would like to thank each and every one of you for taking the time to not only read, but reply to my post. I am especially thankful for all your nice replies. Thank you so much.:)

I guess the problem is this: we enjoy cruising very very much as do our kids. It is ALL we talk about (sometimes to the point that I know people are upset with us). However when our neighbours' kids (more like young adults) approached us for advice, we offered our suggestions. RCCL, this port, that port, etc. (we have been on other lines and thought RCL to be the best overall fit for them). When they said they had booked their parent's on a Barnival cruise, we said OK - the parents are a bit on the part-hard side, maybe it will be a good fit. I guess we were wrong.

Apparently, they love all inclusives in the same way that we love ships. And I guess drinks, tipping and excursions are all free at all inclusives. We don't mind paying extra for this stuff as, prior to cruising we had done the Florida beach front/Disney World thing to death and were tired of watching the grass grow on holidays.

I don't want to say they are cheap and risk offending alot of other people here, but their main complaint was the $400.00 plus bill for booze AND tips! To me.....that's not bad......we usually have about a grand on our seapass account after a week cruising (wife shops too much) and I don't see that as being ridiculous.

I guess I am just upset that not only did they not have a good time, they hated it! and probably look at us now as if we were nuts for even thinking cruising was for them. Each to his own, I suppose but until now, have never come across folks that hated cruising - for no real reason, other than the cost. Usually its something that happened on the ship, in the dinning room, not first on/first off etc.

Again, thank you all for putting my mind at ease. Either I'm crazy or us cruisers all are crazy and I'm OK with that too!!!!!:)

Thanks for putting up with my rambling I just had to vent.:o

I wouldn't worry about it at all. You gave good advice and they altered the advice. A tiny bit of research would have told them alcohol and gratuities are not included. Didn't the TA let the know what was included? That right there should let you off the hook.

DH & I recommended a fabulous restaurant to friends. We told them the pris fix chef's menu is outstanding, service always impeccable, and the atmosphere is very romantic. They went to the restaurant and did not enjoy the fact the meal was server over a 2 hour period, even though we told them in advance. Anyway, after chronic complaining, they managed to to make us feel bad about our favorite restaurant. Every time we'd go to the restaurant, we thought about them. Now, we've learned, we keep the good stuff to ourselves.

Hey, any cruise is better than throwing a bucket of paint down the hallway!

All those who agree...blow your whistle!

Your memory is outstanding! Hallway is done...I should pick up the buckets though. Orange....last I heard...is on jury duty. Shall we hide the whistle in this thread?:rolleyes:

Sorry all for talking off topic. We had a huge (maybe only in my mind) funny thread going last year that had to do with blowing your whistle. Speaking of which......Have you ever blown your whistle during the Muster drill?

I am a Vegas Addict. Two years ago when my daughter in law and son strongly suggested to us to go on a group cruise with them, I found every excuse in the book not to go. I had heard all of the stories of the neat places they had seen and how great these ships were. Still, no way. Then I figured that we had cruise insurance so if something unforeseen happened, we would still be okay with the money we had paid. Then we got our passports. Then we had to get the airfare. My daughter in law was persistent. We knew her family going with us so I felt better. Well, now not only are we addicted to Vegas, we or rather I haven't been able to book another cruise except on the Explorer! We had such a fantastic time. I know our two were sweating it and kept checking on me if I was having a good time. what could I say? I was having a great time. We have a parent living with us, so it was wonderful to get away with no cell phone service on our part! Being waited on hand and foot and I really liked the waiters coming around the pool and asking if I desired a beverage. Sure...here is my seapass!!!!!! The fancy glass....sure....put them in the cabinet with all the fancy vegas drink glasses! Please don't feel bad about them not enjoying themselves. There had to be something that they did enjoy otherwise they sound like people who aren't happy about life in general. We'll cruise with you...just name the place and time and hope it is on the Explorer!!!! Cris

A majority of the blame lies with the children. They asked your advice, you offered it, and the went with a cruise line you did not "endorse". Would have helped if the couple who took the trip would have asked you or your spouse for some tips and advice. Maybe you could take the oportunity to tell them RCCL is not at all like Barnaval and even offer to go with, if you get along with them well enough.

Hey...at least it's your neighbor that hates cruising. You can still cruise with your wife and family. I took my husband on a cruise, and he hated it. Too bad for him, I just go with our kids and my friends.

Geez, sure are some Carnival bashers on here. Sorry but I didn't notice that big of a difference between the two carriers. The only reason my next two cruises are on RC is because of the itinerary changes and the opportunity to go on a large ship w/ extra ammenties (Voyager). I like the variety and will continue to flip flop between the two and heaven forbid I might actually try Norwegian someday. Both are equal opportunity drink pushers, mainly because the waiters offereing them get a 15% gratuity - duh. If that was your cash cow, you would be pushy too. But to answer the main question presented, NO you should not feel bad they had a bad time. It is very clear on every slip you SIGN what price is charged, they should have paid closer attention. I have had 5 Carnival cruises and haven't had a BAD one yet.

It sounds to me like these people had a horrendous bar tab shock, whereas with an all-inclusive resort, there is none. You then eluded to them as being hard - part, which convinces me even more that this is the case. Their bar tab may have been more than the cost of the cruise. Certainly no fault of yours, you were just trying to get them to experience some of the joy you get from cruising.

what is hard-part? Thanks

PS. Hey wait a sec...this was a gift was it not? So they are complaining about the bar tab of only $400. Oh my, no, no, no. You must not feel guilty! They sound like sour pusses.

This is what puzzles me: from what they said, the $400.00 bill at the end of it all included the tips for their cabin attendant, waiters etc. Just how much did they spend at the bar? - not much if they tipped everyone properly. :rolleyes:

As I said, they are into land based all - inclusive resorts which is fine but somehow I can't understand anyone having a problem with a $400.00 bar/room/waiter tip bill at the end. What the heck do the poor people at the land based all inclusive resorts do for money? If you feel irked paying a tip on a ship (hey that rhymes) - what sort of tip would they give the staff at the resorts? - I think we'll stick to cruising and zipper our mouths shut when it comes to questions like:"how come you two cruise sooooo much".

I'd still yak up RCI (and I do :D ) to anyone/everyone I meet! Some people just aren't meant to be cruisers, but it's not your fault. After all, it cost them only $400 to find out that cruising (or Carnival) was not their cup o' tea. That's getting off pretty cheap in my book :p .

Archived