Can you ask photographer to take a shot?

cmacf1

I'm traveling with my whole extended family on a holiday cruise and since we've never all been dressed up at one time, we'd like a formal portrait taken of us. Is it possible to ask the ship's photographer(s) to do that? If so, does anybody have an idea of costs? I've been married to my DH for 5+ years and I've actually never seen him in a suit (we both wore shorts, t-shirts and hiking boots when we got married,) so I have to be sure we get photos of the event!

Traditional Services

Our photographers are always available for group photos, special events and parties, weddings, and any other events that you wish to capture. Don't forget to watch out for our team of photographers on formal evenings when they'll be out taking our incredible formal portraits and capturing our guests enjoying the one of the most lavish evenings at sea. Please contact the Princess Cruises office or your travel agent for details and information on special photographic services.

spacer.gifThis is from the Princess Web site but trust me you can have all the pictures taken you want. I have seen lots of families having it done. Your going to have such a good time!! spacer.gifspacer.gif

.....Is it possible to ask the ship's photographer(s) to do that? If so, does anybody have an idea of costs?....

They don't charge anything to take the pictures. You pay for what you buy -- but, you're not obligated to anything! You can buy individual prints in all sizes or choose from different packages. They've always taken several table pictures at formal nights and then we go buy whatever we like. Plus, on formal nights, they have a set up where anyone can go [kinda like when you were at the prom!] and get pix taken. For special arrangements, you just go to the photo department and they'll schedule a photographer for a certain place and time.

Yes you can but go to the Photography Department the day before and make "an appointment" for the large group. As for cost I don't know.
They charge by the picture, but typically print large size only for the formal shots (8x10). They can enlarge to bigger, too.

In order to get more opportunity to sell pictures, they will also probably want to take pictures of subgroups, so if you schedule some time it would be better than if you stand in the normal lines for pictures, where they typically take 2-4 shots of couples/families then print just the best ones.

My husband never wore a suit either but he wore one on the ship (for an hour). We went to 6 different backdrops and they took 4 to 6 poses each. The next day we had 30 or so to choose from!! We got some wonderful photos. Some photographers were better than others and some backdrops or poses worked better. I suggest take as many as you can, you only buy what you want.

Amidst all of the stiff smiles and posing I have a fun suggestion....

On our last formal night our whole group was posing for our fifth group shot of the cruise with an onboard photographer when I told everyone to "make a funny face".

Of all of the pictures we purchased this is the one everyone loves the most!

There is just something so hilarious about seeing you and your loved ones looking soooo nice and formal and so goofy at the same time.

The last cruise we went on with Princess there were 18 of us, the photographers never had a problem taking pictures of us as a group. When we were in the Atrium posing the photographer even went up one deck for a different view of all of us. Then had us all make funny faces. It was very nice. They printed 1 photo for each couple. It was great. As another person posted, they want to sell all the pictures they can so they are very accomodating.

On our last formal night our whole group was posing for our fifth group shot of the cruise with an onboard photographer when I told everyone to "make a funny face".

Honeymoon4ever, what a great idea! I'm going to remember that one!

I am not fond of the poses for the formal portraits, they always look so stiff to me. Especially when they position your hands!!

So in May, I requested a pose I knew I liked. My husband was sitting down, I stood behind him with my arms around him and my face near to his. This was our "formal" 40th anniversary photo and it was wonderful. The next 7 couples in line also requested this pose ;-)))

Have fun, relax and request what works for your family....you know that better than anyone!! The photographers are pleased to comply because you will most likely buy more pictures.

Cheers, Denise

Wow! Thanks for all the great information and suggestions! Not only did my DH finally buy a suit for this cruise, but I lost 50 pounds and I feel so much better wearing nice clothes (and I had SUCH a fun time buying all the new clothes!) These photos will be great to have. Now I'm worried about gaining weight on the cruise (we're on the Plaza deck so I think we may use the steps a lot.)

btw - I love the making faces suggestion! :)

I once jokingly asked one of the photogs to make me look 30 pounds lighter and 10 years younger and guess what?..........She did.:) :) It was the best picture I ever had of me. My kids (all adults with their own families) were bugging me for a photo-so this was perfect!

Yes, you sure can. Just make an appt. with the photography dept. We did this twice when we went with a large, family group. Both times it was in the atrium along the stairs. We actually got one of them complimentary when we booked 9 cabins. So, each cabin got an 8x10 photo free. A nice memory. Usually that size is about $20.

I'm traveling with my whole extended family on a holiday cruise and since we've never all been dressed up at one time, we'd like a formal portrait taken of us. Is it possible to ask the ship's photographer(s) to do that? If so, does anybody have an idea of costs? I've been married to my DH for 5+ years and I've actually never seen him in a suit (we both wore shorts, t-shirts and hiking boots when we got married,) so I have to be sure we get photos of the event!

We had 16 of us in a group on the Sapphire last December and wanted a group shot and they would not accommodate us.

We were able to coax the photographer into getting a group shot during the formal night photos, but not a more casual one at a different time.

Good luck!

Archived