Question for Spengle....

elena7seas

I noticed on a thread from last year that you were reserved at The 5 Rooms in Barcelona.

If you did stay there, can you please let me know what you thought of the experience? What type of room did you have, and what were the amenities like? Did you feel like it was good value? How did it compare to your experience in the Hotel Palacete (I hope I have that right)? How long did it take you to walk to La Placa Catalunya?

We are currently booked at The 5 Rooms for 3 days in May. Yessica seems so pleasant and accommodating, and the rooms look very nice.

I know that was a lot of questions, but thanks in advance if you have the time to answer!

Elena,

Will be glad to respond to your question...was surprised to see a thread with my name in it :)

We stayed at the 5 rooms for several nights last March. It is on one floor in what looks like a small apt building in a good location (a few blocks from Placa Catalunya and Las Ramblas). Small coffee house across the street. The rooms were very modern, mostly white, gray and black with sparkling modern white baths. Yessica is very sweet but only there a few times a day. The continental breakfast is provided by a non-English speaking maid who arrives in AM, sets the table and serves and then cleans up. Since there are only 5 rooms there was little interaction with other people (except, of course, our friends who were with us :)). It was an usual experience for us. Yessica was quite friendly and helpful when she was there but it was much like staying in someone's home who was away most of the time. Quiet, very clean and pleasant. The Continental Palacete, just a few blocks away, north of the Placa, is a small hotel (several steps up to a very small lift which accommodated luggage that you could send up to the check-in desk self serve). Very pleasant and helpful staff, free Internet access in 2 locations, very nice lounge area with 24 hour buffet good for breakfast, lite lunch and snacks. Rooms are clean, small and very pink...someone posted that they were Laura Ashley on speed :D... We stayed there post cruise and then returned for a few days on a land trip. The price has increased a bit since our first time there but the included breakfast, bottled water, soda, beer, wine and snacks made it a good deal. If I've left anything out...just post your questions.

I understand that the two experiences are quite different, but could I ask which accommodation you preferred? Which did you think was the best value? Which is located in the better area? It seems, from looking at a map, that both are about the same distance from Las Ramblas.

I am travelling with two Interior Designers, so the decor in The Five Rooms is a big plus, over "Laura Ashley on speed" :D. However, did you find that you missed the hotel amenities, or having someone on site at the property?

Sorry for all these questions, but we have two rooms reserved for three days, so it is a bit of an investment.

Thanks again Sheila!

Gosh, Elena, not knowing you, it's hard to say. My DH definitely like the hotel better...felft it was more comfortable - especially with small European rooms, having the lounge to socialize and relax in was a plus. Interior Designers with a modern bent would love seeing the 5 rooms. We felt that the common area, while attractive was not very comfortable for relaxing and socializing. Barcelona is such a great city with a lot to do and a lot of walking that it helped to have a place to relax in (I think that was my husband's point). That's about all I can so...they are such different experiences that it's hard to compare. Depends on what YOU like.

Thanks Sheila. Your reply was exactly what I was looking for. From your many posts, you seem like a rational, reasonable, well-travelled person to me, so I thought your opinion would be valuable. The comment about the lounge was very informative, and was actually something I hadn't really thought about.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply. I really do appreciate it.

Archived