Carnival Legend Fails Inspection

rolloman

In this mornings Florida Sun Sentinal a big headline stated the ship not only failed but failed big time with a score of 71 which was the second lowest score ever recorded, it takes an 86 out of 100 to pass. Most of the problems centered around food preperation. What makes it even worse is a luncheon is scheduled for November 16 which includes 200 marketing executives including guest speaker Bob Dickenson. I bet you can count on some big crew changes on that ship real soon.

In this mornings Florida Sun Sentinal a big headline stated the ship not only failed but failed big time with a score of 71 which was the second lowest score ever recorded, it takes an 86 out of 100 to pass. Most of the problems centered around food preperation. What makes it even worse is a luncheon is scheduled for November 16 which includes 200 marketing executives including guest speaker Bob Dickenson. I bet you can count on some big crew changes on that ship real soon.

OUCH...

here is a link to that story...

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/business/local/sfl-zlegend02nov02,0,3482849.story?coll=sfla-business-front

Tom

It's not what you do to prepare for an inspection or re-inspection, but how you conduct yourself after the inspection. it is easier to pass an inspection you prepare for, it is much more difficult to maintain those standards while conducting day to day business, I would pass on the legend for a while, passing a health inspection is not that difficult, trust me I have been there and inspected that.....

Al

That's scary -- I was on that ship that week! :eek:

I thought the food was pretty good, except for the steak on the first night -- it was a little chewy! But that particular cut is not my favorite. Everything else was great!

Went on the private tour of the galley (after the San Juan inspection) and it looked immaculate, as usual.

YIKES!! :eek: That is pretty scary! Poor food prep is such an easy way to make an awful lot of people sick. Seems to me there is NO excuse for such a slip. But the better question....Why would it be allowed to get to that point :confused: and not corrected because it was wrong rather than because of an inspection.

Hopefully the Legend will contiune to operate in the manner that gave them the revised score of 98. I hope they get it together and keep it together since we are booked for February!

We're sailing on our 1st cruise in January 2007. I guess I should be happy that it happened before we sailed, as this should place a real stress factor on the Legend kitchen operations to maintain stricter health and safety practices. :(

The 98 score is what CCL has released. It has yet to be confirmed by the agency who conducted the inspection.

DH & I will be on the Legend for the 1/27 sailing and have no qualms about the ship's sanitation. The recent failing score will no doubt keep ship's crew in top form ensuring food preparation areas are kept up to par now to ensure good passing inspection grades in the near future.

Have to smile when I see posters getting super excited about ship galley inspections and yet have no clue as to how their favorite land restaurants were rated on their last kitchen inspections.

Main problems with Legend inspection reported like chocolate hand prints on containers, I can live with. Food debris on plastic pantry curtains, I can live with. Not properly cooling foods made from dairy products might cause my stomach to scream foul and I'm not thrilled with that down fall.

However, I have seen some fairly large and popular land based restaurants in our area and other parts of the U.S. fail kitchen inspections due to rodent and other creepy critter populations as well as other major infractions.

I'll take chocolate hand prints and some food debris on plastic curtains any day over rodent hairs in my food and cockroach tracks over kitchen floors and dishes.:)

Dianne

Carnival spokesman Tim Gallagher said the 2,667-passenger ship was reinspected on Tuesday at Port Everglades and got a score of 98. Carnival Legend had passed eight previous inspections since its debut in 2002.

It's quite possible that they were having a bad day. The Legend's past record is very good. Some of the violations seem more technical than hazardous.

I ain't skeered!:D

DH & I will be on the Legend for the 1/27 sailing and have no qualms about the ship's sanitation. The recent failing score will no doubt keep ship's crew in top form ensuring food preparation areas are kept up to par now to ensure good passing inspection grades in the near future.

Have to smile when I see posters getting super excited about ship galley inspections and yet have no clue as to how their favorite land restaurants were rated on their last kitchen inspections.

Main problems with Legend inspection reported like chocolate hand prints on containers, I can live with. Food debris on plastic pantry curtains, I can live with. Not properly cooling foods made from dairy products might cause my stomach to scream foul and I'm not thrilled with that down fall.

However, I have seen some fairly large and popular land based restaurants in our area and other parts of the U.S. fail kitchen inspections due to rodent and other creepy critter populations as well as other major infractions.

I'll take chocolate hand prints and some food debris on plastic curtains any day over rodent hairs in my food and cockroach tracks over kitchen floors and dishes.:)

Dianne

I agree...as a rule I never eat certain desserts and cream based food items in restaurants, as I was once very seriously made ill after dining at a racetrack in Florida, bernaise sauce not properly stored or kept too long...ruined my vacation as I was was violently ill for 5 days, Dr. said I was lucky, as it could have been even worse. I still gag at the smell of bernaise sauce. That's why the past dated labels missing from the food scares me, as this is one experience I do not wish to relive.:(

I'm inclined to agree with BigDoug that the galley crew was probably having a bad day (or week) when inspected since the ship has passed inspections historically.

DH has been in restaurant management for over 30 years and has told me repeatedly that the standards set for ship galley inspections is far superior to any inspection guidelines he has seen at land based restaurants and those guidelines could put many of our land based food entities out of business.

Dianne

It's not what you do to prepare for an inspection or re-inspection, but how you conduct yourself after the inspection. it is easier to pass an inspection you prepare for, it is much more difficult to maintain those standards while conducting day to day business, I would pass on the legend for a while, passing a health inspection is not that difficult, trust me I have been there and inspected that.....

Al

You are so right. Dairy Queen corp comes out and inspects us 3 times a year. About 3 years ago they stopped telling us when they were comming. We never know. They also send around a secret shopper once a year. Dairy Queen corp is harder on us than the once a year inspection by the board of health. Carnival should also have there own inspectors.

.... the standards set for ship galley inspections is far superior to any inspection guidelines he has seen at land based restaurants and those guidelines could put many of our land based food entities out of business.

Dianne

Folks would probably fall-out if they were to go in the back room of their favorite grocery store.

My hubby and I are taking our 1 year anniversary cruise on the Legend and setting sail in a couple days - Nov. 8th!! I really want this to be a wonderful trip...and I have heard such great things about the Legend...I'm trying hard not to let this ruin my expectations! Anyone have any info they can share...do you think we should be ok?? I really am optimistic - just want to hear others input. Thanks! :rolleyes:

As someone posted here, the Legend has passed 8 inspections since 2002 - that means an average of 2 inspections per year. Many land-based restaurants haven't been inspected even ONCE in TWO years! :eek: I would doubt that many land-based restaurants would pass the inspections the ships do, as often as they do. :(

The investigative reproters on our local news (Boston area), at least once a year, report on this - saying there aren't enough inspectors to keep up with how many restaurants there are, etc.

We sailed the Legend in March '06, and also in November '03. We're considering sailing her again in '08. When we were in Fla for the 1st cruise, we saw on the news the night before that the Legend was doing an extra diligent cleaning becasue of the number of people who contracted the Noro virus on the previous sailing. My BF & I had no problems whatsoever. One member of the group was sick - a teenager - who might possibly not have been practicing the best hygeine. :confused: (Before we sailed, ouir group was wanred by our travel agent that shipboard illness had more to do with passengers washing their hands

And I think for couple of others others who were slightly ill in our group, it had more to do with the quantities of alchohol they drank :p , as well as the slightly rough seas. (We had to skirt a storm during that cruise.)

Sha

My hubby and I are taking our 1 year anniversary cruise on the Legend and setting sail in a couple days - Nov. 8th!! I really want this to be a wonderful trip...and I have heard such great things about the Legend...I'm trying hard not to let this ruin my expectations! Anyone have any info they can share...do you think we should be ok?? I really am optimistic - just want to hear others input. Thanks! :rolleyes:

Happy anniversary and many more to come.:) You and hubby will have a grand time on your cruise.

'Tis much better to cruise on a ship that has failed an inspection and had time to regroup than to be on the ship at the time it failed the inspection. Believe me, the galley crew will be on their toes now to ensure everything is in tip top order.

Dianne

You of all people have nothing to worry about. since your sailing is so close, the ship will be immaculate. They are on their best behavior right now.

Archived