How Was The Coffee???

AFT_LOVER

Hi, I was on the Freedom last week...

Now i am a decaf kinda person ( for medical reasons) but the windjammer decaf was akin to sludge, and many folks were doing a 1/2 cup water 1/2 cup coffee...

Room service coffee was much better,

Dining room coffee, was pretty bad too, ( when we got it offered) .

I ran out on Monday morning for a good cup of Dunkin donuts decaf!

However the decaf cappaccino in the diamond club was great!

Happy Sailing!

Pearlie..

Since RCI is advertising Seattle's Best Coffee is served on their ships. Freedom had it and it was wonderful. In the dining room, in the cafes on Promenade deck for free, and room service. Nothing like that Russian rot gut on Jewel last May.

So everyone who is on a new cruise vote if the coffee was decent (that is was Seattle's Best) or rot gut!

Since I know Seattle's Best is served all over Freedom, excluding WJ, as we never go there, but I trust the review. So let's get noisy. Under the coffee area is a cabinet with filters & bags of coffee. See what the name is on the bag! On Jewel it was in Russian, so I knew it wasn't Seattle's Best. If you added water to it it tasted like a handful of pennies in hot water.

Did you ever think that maybe when Seattle's Best is shipped to other countries to be loaded onto ships, that the bags would be printed in the language of that country so that the dock workers that load cargo could understand what they are loading??? If RCI has a contract with Seattle's Best, then that's what you are drinking.

Being a coffee drinker, I can tell you that I have had some pretty bad coffee on cruises to the Caribbean, and it was Seattle's Best!

I think RCCL ships have been using Seattle's Best for awhile now. I don't think it is a new thing.

I have usually found the coffee in the dining room to be OK, but in the Windjammer I ask for half coffee (ie. sludge) and half hot water. Add sugar and a lot of cream and it is drinkable.

I am not a "coffee snob" by any stretch. If it is "brown and hot", I am usually happy. However, some of the stuff in the WJ has been just dreadful!

I don't see how anyone could think the coffee is weak, but it seems to be very hit or miss on whether it is too strong, too weak, or whatever??

Just off the Radiance (with Patti........hi Patti:) )

Coffee was very strong........even the machine in the concierge lounge where it grinds the beans was very strong..........and I was in the radio business for years and thought I could handle strong coffee......LOL......

This was our 12th cruise and the coffee is always strong........2/3rds coffee 1/3rd hot water.......at least makes it drinkable........

Although I must say the dinning room coffee was pretty good.

Just off the Radiance (with Patti........hi Patti:) )

Coffee was very strong........even the machine in the concierge lounge where it grinds the beans was very strong..........and I was in the radio business for years and thought I could handle strong coffee......LOL......

This was our 12th cruise and the coffee is always strong........2/3rds coffee 1/3rd hot water.......at least makes it drinkable........

Although I must say the dinning room coffee was pretty good.

Hi Jim, how's Rena. And you are so right about the coffee in the CL. Had to dilute it with hot water. Same with the coffee in the machines outside the Windjammer and in the Windjammer...........half coffee, 1/4 water, a little cream and sugar and it was just fine. Coffee in the DR on Radiance was fine. Next time I'm going to bring my Folger's Instant with me.......wonder how that would go over in the dining room!! LOL

If it ain't Tim Hortons, it ain't coffee :D. The regular coffee is made from syrup concentrate (so I've been told), I just "kill it" with Bailey's Irish Cream that somehow got into my luggage, ultimately appearing in my cabin :)

P.S. Seattle's Best is decent coffee.

I brought a small travel cup french press kinda thing on the last cruise. I had seen a lady on the Soveregin with one. You can get them at starbucks but I got mine at a specialty shop that sold all kinds of coffee and tea things. Just took a couple of those small vacum sealed coffees. DH is always up early so he took a travel mug w/him got the hot water from promenade on his way back to wake me & I had delicious coffe in the cabin each morning! The room service stuff was awful! Very strong.

Debbie

BobBeaSea - I'm with you - a cup of Tim's and I am all set. I have mine mailed from Canada on a regular basis as I live in North Carolina. Now if I could find a way to have the Apple Fritters or the Maple Iced sent fresh I would be very happy! Oh By the way Rolllllll up the Rim!

but I brought my own coffeemaker,coffeemate and favorite mugs from home. Hubby made our coffee first thing in the morning and it was wonderful! We had people asking us to make them coffee too midway through the trip(I just wish I would have brought more mugs with us).

I love coffee. I'm not a coffee snob really, but I have learned in 50 years what I like and what I don't...so...when I travel I rarely find a great cup of joe. What is "good" by my taste is a lightly or medium roasted coffee. I find that most coffee shops use coffee that is way too dark to begin with (thanks Charbucks);) so when I'm somewhere that uses a real dark French Roast (which is usually everywhere) I get a "bovine drink" aka latte, cappuccino etc. These beverages lend themselves very well to strong, overly roasted beans. When I want a regular cup of coffee I make my own. I bring some of my own beans, a travel grinder and a Melitta one cup coffee cone. I heat a cup of water with one of those little travel coils and in 5 minutes I'm chugging a cup of coffee that (like my name says) puts me on Cloud9. :p

I love coffee. I'm not a coffee snob really, but I have learned in 50 years what I like and what I don't...so...when I travel I rarely find a great cup of joe. What is "good" by my taste is a lightly or medium roasted coffee. I find that most coffee shops use coffee that is way too dark to begin with (thanks Charbucks);) so when I'm somewhere that uses a real dark French Roast (which is usually everywhere) I get a "bovine drink" aka latte, cappuccino etc. These beverages lend themselves very well to strong, overly roasted beans. When I want a regular cup of coffee I make my own. I bring some of my own beans, a travel grinder and a Melitta one cup coffee cone. I heat a cup of water with one of those little travel coils and in 5 minutes I'm chugging a cup of coffee that (like my name says) puts me on Cloud9. :p

You need to try some Blue Mountain coffee my friend, although something tells me you may have already :)

You need to try some Blue Mountain coffee my friend, although something tells me you may have already :)

You are correct, sir. ;) Hawaiian Kona is also in that class...but my everyday "go to" coffee is a Guatemalan that I buy green and roast myself to a nice cinnamon brown (New England roast). Mmmmmmmmmmmm :p

You are correct, sir. ;) Hawaiian Kona is also in that class...but my everyday "go to" coffee is a Guatemalan that I buy green and roast myself to a nice cinnamon brown (New England roast). Mmmmmmmmmmmm :p

Guatemala......good coffee, good rum, nice bananas, tragic history...however, a country that is striving to overcome :) I love good coffee, as they say, it is truly black gold. :)

Hi Jim, how's Rena. And you are so right about the coffee in the CL. Had to dilute it with hot water. Same with the coffee in the machines outside the Windjammer and in the Windjammer...........half coffee, 1/4 water, a little cream and sugar and it was just fine. Coffee in the DR on Radiance was fine. Next time I'm going to bring my Folger's Instant with me.......wonder how that would go over in the dining room!! LOL

Hi Patti......Rena has a cold that she thinks she got on the airplane coming home.......had a hard time shaking it........come back to the roll call from time to time so we can still visit..........so enjoyed meeting you and Jim....your Jim is a character........hope we sail with you guys again......keep looking for 14 day cruises and email me and let me know......we are always looking........:D

anywhere on the ship, unless you use a coupon from the booklet to get FREE cup of coffee at Seattle's Best. I asked if they use it all over the ship & was told NO. Just he CL has it & that is good coffee. I love the espresso, capuccino, latte for DH. SO we go to 10 & enjoy our coffee drinking juice in the dinig room for breakfast, the we noticed the paper cups so now we get our coffees up there & take them to the dining room.

For breakfast, lunch & dinner.

The stuff they serve in the dining room as well as room service or the Windjammer, you could fill a pen & write for a year with it.............

Funny to hear folks coming up to explore the coffee they get, and to hear how they hate the regular coffee on Jewel. That is why we were so surprised at Freedom, as coffee was great everywhere on that ship. So I asked the Purser & the Hotel Director & it is Seattles Best all over. So get it all over the ships & not just by the cup bought from the stand.

Well, I guess we all like our coffee different.

But I would bet that most of the time it's bad, it's not the coffee, it's who brewed it.

I'm a firm believer in that if you don't eat or drink something, you may not know who to make it well.

I don't think DH will let be get away with taking a Cafetiere with me to brew my own! :rolleyes:

We've never had really great coffee on a cruise ship, except the specialty coffee drinks we've purchased. I'm the same about water, too, I can taste the difference from one brand to another. My mother and father would be rolling their eyes big time at me right now. Water was always out of a tap and coffee was purchased in a can and percolated ;) .

I am never ready to go home, but I do love my own coffee, so it's the one thing I look forward to after the cruise. That and my pillow.

Wahhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

OK, if I get arrested, I'll just plead the 5th (wait, I can't do that here :)). We bought a couple of 1 litre plastic bottles and filled 'em full of Bailey's, put 'em in freezer Zip-Loc bags and put 'em in our checked baggage...no problem. Love a little Bailey's in my room service delivered, undrinkable coffee on the balcony first thing in the morning :D

OK, if I get arrested, I'll just plead the 5th (wait, I can't do that here :)). We bought a couple of 1 litre plastic bottles and filled 'em full of Bailey's, put 'em in freezer Zip-Loc bags and put 'em in our checked baggage...no problem. Love a little Bailey's in my room service delivered, undrinkable coffee on the balcony first thing in the morning :D

Thanks for divulging!!!! I'll be sure to keep it on the down low! :cool:

Archived