Self-disembarkation

hayesktrm

How does this work? I went on RCL's website and couldn't find anything. We are going on the Sovereign next month and would like to take our own luggage off the ship. Do they need to know this in advance? Do we get different tags for our luggage? Do we have a set time we have to get off the ship or do they announce it?

we did the EXPRESS in Philly in July off the Empress. There are condtions that must be met, but it was wonderful and fast...

Must keep luggage in your room over-night and do NOT need assistance in carrying luggage off the ship

Must be able to WALK off ship(no wheelchairs)

Must not be over the customs allowance

Disembarkment started around 7:15 or so, and we were in our car, luggage loaded and on the road by 7:50...would do that again...

Get a slip for each member in your party from the guest services desk one or two days before leaving. They give out only so many. Have it in your hand when leaving the ship. Just ask at guest services about this procedure and they will be glad to help you out. Have a great time and enjoy the warm chocolate cake!!!

is self assist available on all ships sailing navigator dec and that sounds like a great way to leave the ship

No, it is not available on all ships. Serenade and I believe Adventure are exceptions. On Enchantment, they have self -d, but the earliest you generally get off is 830, no where near as early as MIA.

Just a note for anyone cruising out of Bayonne in the Spring...

We just got off the Explorer there. You can't use self-assist because you have to be able to put your carry-on bag on your lap if need be, when you ride the shuttle from the ship to the terminal building. The shuttle gets VERY crowded, as every seat is taken, plus they allow pax to stand in the aisle and hold onto the poles.

We would have loved to keep our luggage with us, but unfortunately, we couldn't do it.

Has anyone done this and using a shuttle service? We keep our car pasrked at the hotel. Last June the shuttle was waiting for us. I just wonder if the same could happen, just earlier. I wouldn't think there would be a problem with it.

No, it is not available on all ships. Serenade and I believe Adventure are exceptions. On Enchantment, they have self -d, but the earliest you generally get off is 830, no where near as early as MIA.

I am curious. If you just pain don't put your luggage out in the passageway on the last night what are they going to do with you when you show up at the gang plank to walk off the ship...with your luggage? It doesn't seem likely that they are going to take it away from you, get it down below decks, and get it off loaded when the dock workers have already unloaded the ship. Seems like way too much effort on their part.

Again, just curious.

We do self assit and leave when we wish to. It is way too early to leave at the self assist time since we have kids....So we left the ship when we wanted to pulling our own luggage. We left at about 8:30. You do not need to have any tags since the luggage is with you the entire time!

Inshape...I'm glad to hear we don't have to leave at 7 am. I thought I read you had to be off early...8 or so it perfect for a family! You have to be able to carry the luggage down stairs...is that true? I'm just trying to figure out how much luggage to take since one of the kids is only 9.Thanks

Get a slip for each member in your party from the guest services desk one or two days before leaving. They give out only so many. Have it in your hand when leaving the ship.
I don't mean this to be snippity -- I mean it as a serious question: What if you just don't? What if on the morning of debarkation you don't have a slip, yet you also did'nt put your luggage out the night before? What are they going to do? Refuse to let you off the ship? (Hey, a whole new plan is forming in my mind!) Send someone for your luggage? Refuse to let you have your luggage?

I don't mean this to be snippity -- I mean it as a serious question: What if you just don't? What if on the morning of debarkation you don't have a slip, yet you also did'nt put your luggage out the night before? What are they going to do? Refuse to let you off the ship? (Hey, a whole new plan is forming in my mind!) Send someone for your luggage? Refuse to let you have your luggage?

The slips of paper are absolutely meaningless. :)

My thoughts exactly. I believe in doing things the right way, following rules, being part of the solution instead of part of the problem . . . but I don't see any point in wasting my precious vacation time doing something meaningless.

My thoughts exactly. I believe in doing things the right way, following rules, being part of the solution instead of part of the problem . . . but I don't see any point in wasting my precious vacation time doing something meaningless.

The way RCI does it as compared to CCL is so much better. CCL has the same coding but the luggage lands in a huge warehouse and you search. The reason why they code it is to limit the people wandering around. Now for RCI there are areas for each color. Much better. We did the self assist and left when we wanted to pulling our own stuff. The kids, ages 10 and 11 were able to handle their suitcases too. There were stairs at the last part of getting out of the building. We just took the elevator with the stuff. Actually was so much faster. Good luck.

Archived