Conquest late today into Galveston. (Man Overboard Thread)

Hypo

With all due respect, and since you admit you prefer the inside cabin, avoid railings since you don't like open water, then your assertion is really not based on anything factual. I must say that it would be very difficult to fall overboard by accident, even with rough seas. If it were that easy, these incidents would be very frequent, and they are just not.

I'm 5'6" tall; I would have to get a stool or chair, stand on it and still make an effort to go over. It's not like these railings come to your belt buckle, they are much higher than that.

I'm 4'11"; I sure as h*** hope I can see over these huge railings! LOL Maybe they should just build plexiglass for us vertically challenged people on balconies :D

I'm 4'11"; I sure as h*** hope I can see over these huge railings! LOL Maybe they should just build plexiglass for us vertically challenged people on balconies :D

Do I have some good news for you. The lower portion of the balcony rail is glass. If you can't see over, you can see under. LOL

Kevin

I'm just wondering, but it seems that puking over the side of the deck may not be the best place. Ever been sitting on the school bus when a fellow student spit out the window in front of you.....YUCK.

Just a thought, if you are feeling sick, think about who is below you and behind you on deck, better yet, find a bathroom, there are one or two on every ship.:D

Becky

I'm 4'11", too...

The railing will hit you chest high. No way to fall over!

...but I never turn my back on anybody who may want to "help" me over...

Luanne: I love it!

I've observed over the last 4+ years as a member (and prior as a lurker) there are some long-time CC members with little patience for relatively new people and their innocent questions. Most will take the time to answer and also point out the search feature as an additional suggestion - others are more blunt and come across as rude. In addition to CC, PBS will never be looking to them for help with membership solicitation. :D

...actually PBS gets money from me every year, what is both your point??? For every jacka$$ post like this, there are 10 posts where people thank me for my contributions to Cruise Critic, I am sorry neither of you don't enjoy my blunt and sarcastic style and my passion for the Cruise Critic Guidelines - being critical of members for their style, yeah, that is a helpful post:rolleyes:

I spend lots of time helping people learn to search, scanning and posting all kinds of cruise information, I do lots of searches for people and post links, maybe we should look at your contributions to this site and judge you accordingly.:p Can you post some links to the things both you have added to the site - jeez people, everyone is different, just contribute and move on, next they will be going after grammar and spelling:eek:

For every jacka$$ post like this, there are 10 posts where people thank me for my contributions to Cruise Critic...

I spend lots of time helping people learn to search, scanning and posting all kinds of cruise information, I do lots of searches for people and post links,

Tis true.:)

Thanks mods for changing the title of this thread...NOT the fault of the OP, who was wondering where the ship was when it was late coming back to texas...

however, as I have tried to point out, keeping the thread named as it was would surely NOT be easy for others to "find" the news of the guy overboard...and more threads would start

As for the "puking" over the side...ugh....bad enough to hear of people throwing over garbage and cigarette butts. There was a young guy on a RCI ship who was drunk, passed out on a lounger, woke up and went to rail, threw up and went over...it is on video...they could not find/save him

Sad...

One thought tho : when it IS a suicide, the "news" dries up, so this may well be a suicide...when it is an accident/foul play suspected etc there seems to be a LOT more news out there

Sadly suicides occur and we probably do NOT know about them, a neighbor of ours killed himself a few years ago and it was not a "news" story at all, just the cruise aspect makes it "newsworthy"

Carnival has more cruises, more ships, more passengers so the "numbers" seem skewed that there are more "incidents". Statistically cruising is safe.

OK, a drunken "Spiderman" lost his grip and his life. It is sad, but death is a part of life.

Has not everything intelligent to be said about this event, been said? And long, long before this post.

He's gone, let him R.I.P.

Dan

Maybe she did say despondent people, but IMO I don't think being disappointed in a cruise would push anyone over the edge to kill themselves. I think that they were either planning to do it when they made the booking OR they had an emotional trauma on the ship, and I don't mean the tile in the shower was broken:eek: . And I believe that lots of times alcohol blurrs our ability to make sound judgements and someone will stand on a railing or something. I do not think that Carnival is responsible for any of these deaths, and to imply that a "bad" cruise would push them over the edge is just crazy IMO.

Carnival has more cruises, more ships, more passengers so the "numbers" seem skewed that there are more "incidents". Statistically cruising is safe.

I AGREE........ I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO KNOW THE MORTALITY RATE OF ANY GROUP OF 3000 TO 4000 PEOPLE OVER SEVEN DAYS. THERE PROBABLY IS A LEAST ONE DEATH.

We were on the Conquest this past weekend too, aft cabin 7444. Lots of speculation about what really happened, but no one has come forth with an explanation yet.

There is no way that anyone could fall over the railing unless they were standing on the chair or the small table or some how climb on the railing. I am 5'4" and the top of the rail hit me about the chest/breast level, making the rail approximately 4 feet tall.

It is a shame that this happened, not just to the passengers but also the crew of the Conquest. While we were sitting eating breakfast on Sunday, they made an announcement in the Monet that the staff would no longer have the day off.

We arrived about 4.5 hours late, but fortunately we drove to Galveston and did not miss a flight or other arranged transportation.

First let me say, of course I feel badly for the family of anyone who is lost like this.................

It's one thing to break a leg or have a heart attack,.......However.........I am amazed.......So many people going overboard :rolleyes:

I Mean......Give me a break here......you'd really have to try to fall off a ship, it's no easy feat !

Archived