Conquest late today into Galveston. (Man Overboard Thread)

Hypo

You're right, he can use any icon he wants. And since this is a discussion forum, other members are free to question his meaning and/or comment on his choice as long as they adhere to the rules set up by the administrator.

Exactly--he is the 1st eye witness and someone trashes him because of an icon. He may not have a computer that tell what each icon means--or he hit the wrong icon, We know he was very tired.

Why do do people get off subject and start trashing others?

Exactly--he is the 1st eye witness and someone trashes him because of an icon. He may not have a computer that tell what each icon means--or he hit the wrong icon, We know he was very tired.

Why do do people get off subject and start trashing others?

you really can't read can you? re-read nrdsb4's reply. is that you just don't get it, or is that you are just interested in fighting with people.

it's not cool that someone goes overboard, and i don't even think that endi302 thought it was cool to have to rent a car to drive home 10 hours away. just let it go....

It seems like Security goes to bed with the rest of us. There never seems to be anyone around in uniform very early in the morning.

Nope, they are still up and around at 4:30 am :)

And didn't I say I thought it had more to do with the number of passengers than with the ships???? I'm NOT blaming Carnival!

why did you use the "cool" icon in your man overboard title??? definitely not cool, just another tragedy which will affect us all.

Oh well...... I had driven a long way and had not yet slept. I guess it was an oversite on my part. Please excuse my insensitivity as to how this event would affect you. NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was trying to get accurate information to the well informed readers of this board. I was not really worried about being flamed by a "person" who is more concerned about an icon than real content. SORRY......

Kevin

Sorry in advance for the "Cool Icon" Hope it doesn't offend....

Someone died......that is very sad. I feel for his family and friends. There are tons of ways in which people are stupid and most of us at some point in our lives have done something that someone else would consider stupid and selfish.

Oh wait....thats right, it's completely okay to judge others because we are all only concerned with only ourselves and none of us have ever done anything that irks another. Carry on...sorry to interrupt the bashing of a dead guy.:rolleyes:

There is a certain sort of silly internet mentality that people use to "feel good" about themselves....by taking events and making them personal.

People die every day...our brave people in the armed forces die in Iraq...will you stop your cruise for that?? I saw a fatal accident on the way to the Port of Miami....yes, I said a quick prayer but I certainly got right on the ship and had a blast.

Sunday night I saw a probably fatal wreck when I was driving my sister to the airport....sad, but she got on her flight.

There are lots of sad things in the world but life goes on. For some of us, the recent rash of cruise tragedy/suicide and stupidity should be looked at realistically.

I personally think the "media" is partly to blame : sick and sad people see hyped up news stories about these cruise ship suicides, and they do a "copycat".

Their families see the "payday" George Smith's wife got from Royal Carribean, and then they do the same, we now have the mother of a girl who overdosed on her boyfriends methadone suing Carnival.

These events effect and inconvenience thousands of fellow cruisers.

Ultimately they will effect YOU if you like to cruise : ie, RCI already raised the drinking age in light of several incidents....pretty soon you may seen balconies enclosed in plexiglass, etc, and we may have higher prices to afford the payouts of lawsuits, raised insurance and "safety measures" the cruiselines may have to take

I take a realistic view of it, rather than a bleeding heart view. I don't think people are "bashing a dead guy". I think they are just expressing honest reactions to this. Hopefully Fox News won't decide to make another "media tragedy" out of this one.

Post then read???

I have NO interest in the Conquest as I doubt I would ever sail from texas when I live in Florida..so I (and probably others) would NOT read threads about the ship being late in Galveston...

However, I would read a title about someone going overboard...

and thus I am reading this and will read the other threads

Before you jump on people for starting new threads, please realize that many "titles" are very generic...ie, "I have a question"...or "Something interesting"...rather than "Which night to book specialty restaurant" or "New Piano Bar Player on the xyz ship"

Maybe IF people made their thread titles MORE clear people would NOT annoy you so much by "reposting" info>?

Another thing : many of you jump on people who "restart" or "reask" questions, and tell people to search, but the search feature is sometimes not that accurate, as many posts are chit chat and not really the answer to a question, NO harm in that IMHO, but sometimes people want a specific answer and therefore they repost a question rather than search?

No big deal IMHO>>> plus stuff changes, a restaurant or beach bar that was good last spring may change ownership or go downhill or change policies etc....current info is always good

Thanks to the OP for making a title on this post that says someone went overboard :)

The titles are " Conquest late again"

and

"Conquest late oday into Galveston."

I agree A clear title is nice. and links to others is nice also. Info in general is nice. Thats why I am here. I love all the mine readers on this board. Sometimes its funny.

Oh well...... I had driven a long way and had not yet slept. I guess it was an oversite on my part. Please excuse my insensitivity as to how this event would affect you. NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was trying to get accurate information to the well informed readers of this board. I was not really worried about being flamed by a "person" who is more concerned about an icon than real content. SORRY......

Kevin

Sorry in advance for the "Cool Icon" Hope it doesn't offend....

okay kev -- MOB. it's cool.

I think the increase in the number of overboards is indicative of the increase in the popularity of cruising. I believe that there are troubled souls who get on a cruiseship after listening to the hipe believing that cruising will "make them feel happy" or "make them not be sad". When that doesn't happen' date=' for a despondent few, well . . . . . . :(

Not the cruiseline's fault.[/quote']So Suzin you believe that people get despondent because their cruise isn't what it was made out to be so they throw themselves overboard? You are joking right?:confused:

My husband committed suicide (not on a cruise), it happens more often than people think but because it is a taboo subject to talk about you don't always hear about it. Very rarely is the person thinking of others and in my husbands case something I never saw coming. I honestly think people just snap and if you are already "unwell" and having some drinks it doesn't help. I still think in relation to the number of people that cruise daily it is a very small percentage of people actually going over....I wish I could explain why it happens, but three years after the fact I still don't have all the answers.

you really can't read can you? re-read nrdsb4's reply. is that you just don't get it, or is that you are just interested in fighting with people.

it's not cool that someone goes overboard, and i don't even think that endi302 thought it was cool to have to rent a car to drive home 10 hours away. just let it go....

Hey pot, the kettle is calling. It's for you. Pickup on the black phone.

There is a certain sort of silly internet mentality that people use to "feel good" about themselves....by taking events and making them personal.

People die every day...our brave people in the armed forces die in Iraq...will you stop your cruise for that?? I saw a fatal accident on the way to the Port of Miami....yes, I said a quick prayer but I certainly got right on the ship and had a blast.

Sunday night I saw a probably fatal wreck when I was driving my sister to the airport....sad, but she got on her flight.

There are lots of sad things in the world but life goes on. For some of us, the recent rash of cruise tragedy/suicide and stupidity should be looked at realistically.

I personally think the "media" is partly to blame : sick and sad people see hyped up news stories about these cruise ship suicides, and they do a "copycat".

Their families see the "payday" George Smith's wife got from Royal Carribean, and then they do the same, we now have the mother of a girl who overdosed on her boyfriends methadone suing Carnival.

These events effect and inconvenience thousands of fellow cruisers.

Ultimately they will effect YOU if you like to cruise : ie, RCI already raised the drinking age in light of several incidents....pretty soon you may seen balconies enclosed in plexiglass, etc, and we may have higher prices to afford the payouts of lawsuits, raised insurance and "safety measures" the cruiselines may have to take

I take a realistic view of it, rather than a bleeding heart view. I don't think people are "bashing a dead guy". I think they are just expressing honest reactions to this. Hopefully Fox News won't decide to make another "media tragedy" out of this one.

Bleeding Heart? I find that a little dramatic........all I was trying to get across was that it seems as if the world today has forgotten how to care....at all, about anything, except our own little bubble. Heaven forbid anyone, at any time should do something like die and interrupt the day. On my recent Conquest cruise a party in our group had to be taken off for medical reasons. I actually heard someone say "I will be pissed if we are late to port". Seems to me just from a human point of view that it might have been nicer and much more kind to say. " I hope that person is alright and hopefully the Captain can make up some time." Which he did.

My other point was unless you are a true Saint and have never caused someone to be disrrupted then just deal with it.

Maybe if people rememberd how to care about more than just themselves again it would be a better place. As for caring, since I've had cancer I care alot more about others. Hopefully people will not need to face their own mortality to remember to care.

So Suzin you believe that people get despondent because their cruise isn't what it was made out to be so they throw themselves overboard? You are joking right?:confused:

She did say they were troubled souls getting on and thought the cruise would make them feel better.

so basically no one has any info on who went overboard? man/woman,drunk,depressed,upset over dining times,drink prices:rolleyes:

According to an article on foxnews.com it was a 42 year old male. When he was reported overboard the Captain called authorities and began search and rescue. The ship continued to port when cleared by the Coast Guard. I have no idea how to link a story but I'm sure any of the news sites can get it for you.

I also get the white screen when trying to search! Glad to hear it's not just me! Any advice from you experts out there as to why the search function doesn't work for many of us??? :confused:

I have no idea why members on this board have trouble with the search engine. Maybe it's your browser (doesn't support the program that "search" is run from), but the only time I have ever had trouble was when the search engine was down for repairs and that's been several months ago. I guess you are not using the correct "key" words to search for. I also use the advance search feature a lot.

As another posted:

Carnival's score;

17 overboard divided by 9,000,000 pax in the period = 00.00000189

Or less than two millionths of one percent. The only reasons to even report such a rare occurrence is because it is so rare and a life was involved. It should be covered like natural death is on a cruise ship. A small back page blurb if anything [natural deaths happen almost daily on ships].

Instead, the media reports it like suicidal, drunk, unknown, pax are pouring over the sides like lemmings.

It is sad but it is rare, very, very rare. Unless one is family or friend, too rare to even bother about except a life is lost.

Someone mentioned the Golden Gate bridge earlier, I don't have the numbers [DERF?] but I wouldn't be surprised if the GG bridge lost more people in the same time period as Carnival or even all cruiselines combined.

Dan

I have no idea why members on this board have trouble with the search engine. Maybe it's your browser (doesn't support the program that "search" is run from), but the only time I have ever had trouble was when the search engine was down for repairs and that's been several months ago. I guess you are not using the correct "key" words to search for. I also use the advance search feature a lot.

Hi I am;

Because I thought I was losing my mind when I would get a blank screen with common words like Conquest aft balconies, or Conquest, or food, I too used the "advanced search" option and still get the white screen more often than not. I am comforted to know that it is not just me. Thought I was truly doing something wrong.

I haven't seen anyone "blame" the cruise line?? It seems like in a lot of topics some people get super super unusually sensitive to any perceived criticism of Carnival cruise lines, and I'm not sure I understand why?? :confused: :confused: I mean, my own family isn't perfect all the time- a cruise line sure as heck isn't going to be. Isn't it okay to discuss anything remotely negative about them? :confused:

:confused:

Umm, actually it shows that Carnival does have more people go overboard than anyone else 2003-2006 total of 17, next highest was RCI with 8 for the same time period.

Although personally I think this may have more to do with number of pax than the ships themselves.

As far as alcohol goes, if you normally get stupid when you get drunk don't be surprised when your attempt to walk from the front of the ship to the back on the railing ends badly.

I did the math and you were spot on....

Maybe it is the sheer # of folks sailing carnival..........:confused:

I haven't seen anyone "blame" the cruise line?? It seems like in a lot of topics some people get super super unusually sensitive to any perceived criticism of Carnival cruise lines, and I'm not sure I understand why?? :confused: :confused: I mean, my own family isn't perfect all the time- a cruise line sure as heck isn't going to be. Isn't it okay to discuss anything remotely negative about them? :confused:

NO!!!!!!! :D

Archived