Conquest late today into Galveston. (Man Overboard Thread)

Hypo

I must have been moving during the last 6 weeks (had computer down) and didn't hear/read about a person going overboard 5 weeks ago. What happened?:eek:

CrusieBruise has a very good eyewitness account of it. It was very sad. She landed on an aft balcony on deck 6. Someone in Goin'Cruisin' party on the recent Saint and Sinners cruise had that cabin she landed on. She said there was still pieces of crime scene (?) tape up. She even asked the Captain about it when she had dinner with him.

Wonder how they handle the lifeboat drills when a ship leaves late like this? Looks like everything would be pushed behind and with dinner starting at 5:45, does it overlap? Looks like she is still a sittin there!

She's still sitting there in the dark. For some reason I can't put a finger on, this doesn't look good to me. Just a feeling I have...

For all the passenger's sakes, I hope they'll be leaving soon. Be interesting to hear what they say when they get back! Anyone know anybody that's on this cruise?

Wonder how they handle the lifeboat drills when a ship leaves late like this? Looks like everything would be pushed behind and with dinner staring at 5:45, does it overlap? Looks like she is still a sittin there!

They have probably already had one and will do another in the morning for those that missed. That's what they did in Sept. '05 when it was delayed in sailing by several hours.

Thanks for the update. That is sad! :(

There seems to be a trend of jumpers on the last night of cruises.

I know cruise blues suck, but don't these people realize they can always book another cruise?:p

You have to wonder if any of these people ever jump deliberately (not to commit suicide) but in order to start a new life. (That's for anyone who jumps when the ship is near land)

Wonder how they handle the lifeboat drills when a ship leaves late like this? Looks like everything would be pushed behind and with dinner starting at 5:45, does it overlap? Looks like she is still a sittin there!

We had a late departure from Tampa on the Miracle because of being used for the Super Bowl. Muster Drill was done the next morning at 10:00am.

Hopefully they will be able to make up their lost time. Our cruise on Conquest a couple of weeks ago had to make an emergency stop in Grand Cayman to take some people to the hospital. We arrived in Montego at the regular time.

All of the idiots falling or jumping overboard are going to ruin the balcony experience for the rest of us. I can just see it now....A balcony covered from floor to ceiling with solid plexiglass.

wow, tex, your compassion is amazing......

it is good that you call someone that you don't know, and idiot, and turn the issue / event into something that is a problem for you.....

good job, man

We just got home from the Conquest. Most of what I have read is pretty accurate. The ship came about very quickly and began a search. Two Oil Rig supply vessels came very quickly and assisted in the search. There were a few other small vessels in the distance assisting in the search. We had a balcony on deck 8 facing the search area while it was all happening.

Conquest launched a search boat and used spot lights to search the area, but as you can guess it was like looking for a needle in a large haystack. This morning the story on board was that the man had been drinking (Duh) and tried to climb from one balcony to a friends next door. That was why there was a witness to the incident. The witness immediatly alerted the crew and the search started. We heard that he fell from a deck 6 balcony. We watched the search well into the early morning hours, but there was not much to see other than the 10-12 foot seas.

Hope this helps. We missed our 1:05 flight and had to rent a car to drive home. 10 hours later and we have finally arrived. What a cruise....

Kevin

We just got home from the Conquest. Most of what I have read is pretty accurate. The ship came about very quickly and began a search. Two Oil Rig supply vessels came very quickly and assisted in the search. There were a few other small vessels in the distance assisting in the search. We had a balcony on deck 8 facing the search area while it was all happening.

Conquest launched a search boat and used spot lights to search the area, but as you can guess it was like looking for a needle in a large haystack. This morning the story on board was that the man had been drinking (Duh) and tried to climb from one balcony to a friends next door. That was why there was a witness to the incident. The witness immediatly alerted the crew and the search started. We heard that he fell from a deck 6 balcony. We watched the search well into the early morning hours, but there was not much to see other than the 10-12 foot seas.

Hope this helps. We missed our 1:05 flight and had to rent a car to drive home. 10 hours later and we have finally arrived. What a cruise....

Kevin

Thanks for the update Kevin. Sounds very plausible. Glad you got home safe even though late.

Archived