Whither Marina?

Druke I

Several months ago there were various rumors about a new ship for Oceania; to be called Marina.

Some of those rumors had Oceania picking up one of the R class vessels, either from Pulmantour, Delphin, or Swan Hellenic. That avenue seems to be closed.

Other rumors talked of a new-build.

Both Jan Cruz and Frank Del Rio were very coy about the matter, telling us to be patient.

Inquiring minds want to know!

I've been patient about sailing Oceania. I have looked for an outstanding cruise line since Royal Viking closed down. So Marina will be lagniappe.

If Oceania is as good as y'all say, in three weeks I'll sail out of Istanbul and find out what everybody's been talking about lo these many months.

P.S. How many times do ya get to work "lo" into a conversation?

Ruby

Did you Google "y'all" as well? Sounds like a bushism to me:pMike

I'd appreciate it if you Cahleeforneeyans would stick to the subject. All us'n are doin' out here in Texas is sittin' on the porch, whittlin' and spittin' and tawkin' about the olde dayz.

Darn. We have to use "Marina" to keep this thread street legal.

Oh wait. I just did.

:D

Ruby

Well, I've not been on Oceania yet so I can't complain that they've not got enough ships ;) !

I think all the R ships are spoken for now - both of Pullmantur's will pretty inevitably go to Celebrity, and apparently Princess are not eager to give up theirs either.

But I am sure we will see a MARINA sooner or later. The only question is whether it will be one of the newbuilds I'm confident will be coming in the next few years, or something else (which would make it "sooner").

"Insignia, Nautica and Regatta once sailed for Renaissance -- and the line plans to debut a fourth Renaissance redo, Marina, in 2007." Headline news on Cruise Critic today.

I thought Marina was going to be a newbuild. Which R ship is available for "redo?" Color me confused.

Does that mean that O is going to have a redo-ed R ship plus a newbuild? Ear to the ground, finger in the wind.

Congratulations to Frank Del Rio and Joe Watters for successfully competing against the giants (literally) of the industry and recognizing the demand for the small, upscale operation.

Happy sails!

Ruby

Just because it was in black and white, does not mean it is true (referring to a 4th R class ship coming to Oceania).

I'm not sure if the R class ship sailing for Delphin was included in the Celebrity/Pulmantour deal - but I think that is the only one that is not accounted for.

I guess we just have to wait for Frank Del Rio to throw us another tidbit.

Cynic that I am, .... (deleted).

I do not see any more R ships going to Oceania. They're now all owned either by Carnival or Royal Caribbean and I don't think either of those companies would sell to Oceania - too much of a threat.

MARINA may be a new shipor she could be bought from someone else, but she won't likely be an R ship.

JMHO.

• 1 month later...

Just off Nautica's Istanbul/Singapore trip. (Great trip.)

Met one fellow, who claimed to have "inside info", and he insisted that Oceania was picking up three R class ships from Princess. I didn't place much credence in his pronouncement.

Another gent claimed to have inside info that Oceania is to announce two new shipbuildings, Aker Shipyards, St. Nazaire, for 50,000GRT 1000PAX ships.

Rumors continue to abound and astound.

Come on FDR -give us an updated bone!

Rumors continue to abound and astound.

Just off Regatta's cruise to Brazil (great -- review coming), rumor from a high level source of a new ship in 2009, around 60,000 tons, 1150 pax. I think they're having a lot of giggles changing the story around...

• 4 weeks later...

I really hope they don't build anything bigger than what they already have. I'm sure the blueprints for the R-Class ships are still around somewhere... just build a new one! They're so beautiful and perfectly sized.

The only change I'd recomend: better tv placements in the cabins. The tv placement is so awkward in the penthouse suites. Cant view it comfortably from the bed or the sofa. With the advent of more affordable thin flat panel tvs they could place them somewhere with easy line of sight that still would be unobtrusive when not in use.

You certainly made your point! You can blame it on the server's stuttering problem.

Still waiting for Mr. DelRio to throw us another tidbit of information. He certainly was very straightforward in his answer on the "berry" thread.

The only change I'd recomend: better tv placements in the cabins. The tv placement is so awkward in the penthouse suites. Cant view it comfortably from the bed or the sofa. With the advent of more affordable thin flat panel tvs they could place them somewhere with easy line of sight that still would be unobtrusive when not in use.

Just got off my first HAL cruise - while Oceania excels in just about every area, we did like the flat-screen TV's and DVD player in our "regular" veranda suite.

Mike

Interesting.

Yesterday, both Mike Brill and I posted on this thread, and yet neither post shows up.

When I posted on the thread, it was back on page 2, and the thread did move to page one.

Server has been doing some strange things lately.

My post really asked for just another update from FDR on Marina. I probably would not have bothered, except I saw FDR's post on the "berries thread", so I knew he was "around and about".

Jan

Does that mean it will hold less passengers......(shouldnt be long !!!!!)

Brian

Ahhh - British humour (or is it humor?). What Jan was trying to say was that the proposed new build will only be 30 meters long (but 200 meters wide)!

Like so many things in life, it all depends on how you look at it;)

Mike

Archived