Celebrity is Ruining My Wedding..We need help!

bermudabride5

Hello All-

I am in need of some serious help. My Fiance & I were booked on the June 9th Celebity Zenith departing Cape Liberity. We were just notified the beginning of the week that the ship was traded and is now going to be replaced with the Journey. We had no problem with that, but the problem we do have is the rooms we had on hold for our guests are no longer available. We have already sent our save the dates out to our guests with all the cruise details and with the locked rate, which Celebrity is saying they will not offer on the new ship. We had our rooms on the Zenith on hold until December 27th, so my guests thought they had plenty of time to book. We had 20 rooms originally on hold and only 8 were booked w/deposits, so the other 12 are just gone. Celebrity is telling us anyone who has not yet booked cannot come because the cruise is sold out. Our wedding party is not even booked yet! We told Celebrity at this point if we can just have 5-10 rooms we don't care, we just need the rest of the wedding party of the ship. I have already placed a non-refundable deposit in Bermuda at a hotel for our ceremony and cocktail reception as well as a deposit at a local reception hall the following Fri when we return. I was on the phone for 2 1/2 hrs yesterday with Celebrity and I am no further then I was. I can't even put into words how upset my Fiance and I are. We put some much into planning our one and a life time event and Celebrity is not trying to accomodiate us at all! We are good people and just want our day to be pefect. Our travel agent is trying as well and she just continues to get the run around. We went with the Celebrity Cruise line because its the top of the line and I can't believe this is how they treat there customers. Does anyone have any Celebrity contacts or any information that may help us?? We are desperate to get the rest of our wedding party on the ship.:confused: :confused: :confused:

They must have booked the cabins through the group dept. With groups you have 90 days to come up with deposits and put names to the cabins. They are now going on a smaller ship, so they are not obligated to honor the cabins that were not under deposit.

Bermudabride5, are they honoring the cabins that were booked with names and under deposit??

Something just doesn't seem right - who told you the rooms were on hold until December 27? Was it Celebrity or your travel agent? Does your agent have a group or booking number for the cabins on hold? I ask because it's unusual for any cruiseline to hold a cabin without a paid deposit for more than just a few days. If there's no paid deposit, the hold is released and the cabin is up for grabs, regardless of what you may have been told.

Also, you say Celebrity will not honor the "locked in" rate it offered you on Zenith but at the same time you say there are no cabins available for your guests on Journey, so what difference would the locked in rate make if there aren't cabins available? Is the ship sold out or are there, in fact, cabins available but at a higher fare? If you booked through a travel agent, make sure this debacle isn't the agent's fault. Have the agent show you a reservation or invoice proving the cabins were on hold, as well as the fare being charged for those cabins. If the agent can't produce that, then maybe your agent goofed and your beef isn't with the cruiseline. If everything is in order with your agent and it's Celebrity's fault, make sure your agent works 24/7 to get this resolved - that's why agents earn a commission.

Good luck!

The deposits on groups are different than individual res. The group contract also states that any room that is not under deposit can be taken at any time. Unfortunatly the Zenith is being replaced by a much smaller ship and will fill very quickly. Is there another cruiseline that you can book at this point? Unfortunatly if the ship is sold out, there is not much Celebrity can do for you. Will the hotel in Bermuda work with you to refund the deposit due to your situation?

....because it's unusual for any cruiseline to hold a cabin without a paid deposit for more than just a few days. If there's no paid deposit, the hold is released and the cabin is up for grabs, regardless of what you may have been told.

While not knowing the specifics in this case the generic comments above are not so! While a specific cabin cannot be "held", a group allocation can be made and be guaranteed for months. Specific cabin assignments will only be made when booked. Also, in many cases when booking a specific cabin as part of a group, deposit does not have to be made for up to 30 days.

In this case, something doesn't sound right. Sounds like they booked directly and do not have a travel agent helping work things out. You save nothing by booking direct. This is when an agent is of great value. If there is an agent involved we are not getting the whole story.

I do groups and the policy is as stated; if you read the fine print you will see that they are under no obligation to do anything about the cabins without names and deposits.

While I understand that you are upset (I had another cruise line cancel a sailing where I had 125 cabins, all under full deposit and they did nothing for my clients at all), X is within their rights technically not to do more than protect your cabins already confirmed with a deposit.

I do understand how upset you are and, if you were my client, I would contact those at X with whom I have relationships and plead your case, though there is certainly no guarantee. Sometimes, however, agencies who do a lot of business with particular lines do have higher lever relationships that can be leveraged. If you did not use a TA, then you are unfortunately on your own.

I suggest at this point, you make totally new plans and give up any hope of Celebrity coming to your rescue.

Been there and the news is not good.

When you block group space on Celebrity, your first recall of unsold space is 90 days from opening the group. If you had 20 cabins and only deposited 8, they would only let you keep 8 cabins for another 60 days.

That's the best case scenario for groups. However, any cruiseline may recall undeposited group space at any time.

Did you book directly through Celebrity, or an agent.

Many of us who are agents are facing just what you are. At this point, you go on the cruise abd those who didn't deposit right away (shame on them) can fly to Bermuda for the wedding.

How about switching to another cruise?

I notice that NCL's Crown sails from Philadelphia on June 10 to Bermuda - - could that sailing work for your wedding ceremony at the hotel down there?

Just a thought.

I wish you the best of luck, and please post back and let us know how things work out for you.

With such a bad experience could you cancel the wedding & fly to Bermuda instead & get married there or just before you cruise & renew vows once there---Bet a hotel would give you a great deal--the cruise lines really are not very respnsive & their personnel while sympathetic seem to have little authority to change things for customers. If I had a room booked I'd give itto you but as it is our Cruise next yr RT Tampa will be cancelled & they have not even called us yet...

Many of us who are agents are facing just what you are. At this point, you go on the cruise abd those who didn't deposit right away (shame on them) can fly to Bermuda for the wedding.

You're kidding, right? Why would she want to take this cruise anymore when it is no longer what she wanted? Moreover, she said that the WEDDING PARTY isn't even deposited!

I agree with others. If you can find a cruise on another line that can work with the dates and accomodate your party, I'd go that route. Better to have a slightly less attractive cruise WITH ALL OF YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY ALONG than to be on the "wonderful" X, but not have your people with you. It's the people, not the ship that are going to make your wedding memorable and special.

I'm SO SORRY this has happened to you!

Look into the NCL Dawn. Great ship

I think ( I could be wrong and often am) that the Dawn is leaving NY in May for Florida. and it is being replaced by the Norwegian Gem. I would look into that, brand new ship. And you are exactly right, the Dawn is a wonderful ship.

You're kidding, right? Why would she want to take this cruise anymore when it is no longer what she wanted? Moreover, she said that the WEDDING PARTY isn't even deposited!

I agree with others. If you can find a cruise on another line that can work with the dates and accomodate your party, I'd go that route. Better to have a slightly less attractive cruise WITH ALL OF YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY ALONG than to be on the "wonderful" X, but not have your people with you. It's the people, not the ship that are going to make your wedding memorable and special.

I'm SO SORRY this has happened to you!

I do quite a number of destination weddings each year. When we are using a cruise as part of the wedding plans, all deposits from all significant participants are taken at the same time to confirm their cabins. An agent cannot hold onto undeposited space forever.. and many times the cruiselines do recall unsold space before recall dates. For something as important as a wedding, you must have all deposits for all significant participants at the same time. Last year I had a wedding group.... a couple of the bridemaid's did not deposit in time..... and there was no more space by the time they came up with the money. They wound up flying to Bermuda for the wedding and then returning home.

Those who have deposited among this bride's group have been accommodated. If the others who are participating hadn't made the deposits by now, chances are they wouldn't have the deposits for another cruiseline.. deposits are all the same.

The whole problem wouldn't BE a problem, if everyone had gotten their deposits in.

I do quite a number of destination weddings each year. When we are using a cruise as part of the wedding plans, all deposits from all significant participants are taken at the same time to confirm their cabins. An agent cannot hold onto undeposited space forever.. and many times the cruiselines do recall unsold space before recall dates. For something as important as a wedding, you must have all deposits for all significant participants at the same time. Last year I had a wedding group.... a couple of the bridemaid's did not deposit in time..... and there was no more space by the time they came up with the money. They wound up flying to Bermuda for the wedding and then returning home.

Those who have deposited among this bride's group have been accommodated. If the others who are participating hadn't made the deposits by now, chances are they wouldn't have the deposits for another cruiseline.. deposits are all the same.

The whole problem wouldn't BE a problem, if everyone had gotten their deposits in.

Frankly, I don't know who is to blame, nor do I particularly care. Neither, I imagine, does the OP. I'm not trying to put the blame on X, although if they failed to properly explain the deposit policy, they are at least partially to blame... All I am saying is that I don't think the solution is to continue the plans with less than 30% of the participants (8 cabins out of 30) coming along. That would simply make for a TERRIBLE wedding! I think she's better off starting from scratch if possible.

ocngypz & Drew B, I agree with the both of you... They should have deposited, ESPECIALLY for something as important as a wedding (and shame on their travel agent for not pointing that out), but given the fact that they did not deposit, they are much better off making alternative plans, so that the entire wedding party will be together in one location instead of a small group on the ship and the rest elsewhere.

Floris

:)

I think ( I could be wrong and often am) that the Dawn is leaving NY in May for Florida. and it is being replaced by the Norwegian Gem. I would look into that, brand new ship. And you are exactly right, the Dawn is a wonderful ship.
To clarify, the Dawn will sail out of NY through Fall 2007.

June 2007 sailing on the Dawn is a definite option.

And, yes, she IS a grand ship!

Is it really a good idea to plan the wedding at a port? What if there was bad weather and the port was delayed or even skipped altogether? These things really do happen and if you read enough on these boards you'll read about it enough to not even consider it. Personally, I don't even want to put down a $100 non-refundable deposit on an excursion because of stuff like that, let alone thousands on something that might go awry. It's too much of a gamble for me, and I'm from Vegas!

Also, my guess is that the real reason that everyone hadn't yet put down their deposits is because it is really asking alot of people to go on a cruise for a wedding. They're dragging their feet. I know "destination weddings" are the new thing, but I think its putting people in between a rock and a hard place, unless you're in the jet set crowd and can afford to pay for everyone. My best friend had a wedding in Hawaii and no one had the balls to tell bridezilla that she had gone over the top in expecting everyone to attend.

Anyway, I hope you get it all worked out. X did you wrong.

What day is your wedding scheduled for? You might look to see if there is another cruise that can get you to Bermuda on that date. Even if it isn't in the same port, you would still be able to get to your hotel on that date. There aren't any ships scheduled for Bermuda the first day you were supposed to be in Bermuda but there are for the rest of the cruise.

Zenith's itinerary was:

11th - St George

12th - St. George, Hamilton

13th - Hamilton

14th - Hamilton

Ships that will be in Bermuda at the same time as Zenith

NCL Majesty out of Boston (12th through 14th)

RCCL's Empress of the Seas out of Norfolk (12th through 14th)

RCCL's Granduer of the Seas out of Baltimore (is at King's Wharf on the 12th and 13th).

The NCL Crown and NCL Dawn aren't scheduled to be in Bermuda that week, at least according to www.cruisecal.com so they aren't an option.

To the OP, just a thought that may work because (1) it will be less expensive for your guests and they perhaps will be more likely to participate, (2) it is a great port to get married in.

Consider the Century for April and get married in Key West. I am going that in two weeks, and it was easy to arrange and reasonable (NOT using Celebrity Weddings).

This is not a tender port so you are likely to actually get there.

We made our plans early and got cabins for as little as $400pp so you would not be asking folks to cough up so much money. We certainly did not expect anyone outside immediate family to go but were pleasantly surprised.

Just a thought and not what you prefer, I know, but an option that will perhaps allow you to transfer your deposits and keep an April date.

And, Century is a nicer ship!:)

...Why is everybody here so defensive of Celebrity sticking it to these people.

Nah, no defending X at all. Like I already said, they did her wrong! They're really messing people up with all these changes. I was just saying that ports get missed ALL THE TIME, on all cruiselines, in every season, and its often not at all the cruiseline's fault. It's even in the contract that they miss and change ports. OMG, I would die if I planned to get married in port and spent all that money and then the port got missed for any of a million reasons. :eek: Could you image how upsetting that would be?!?!?!

Archived