OMG! I look fat in one of my formal dresses!

lovebug33

Okay, everybody and there brother wants a picture of us in our formal duds. So, to save money, our prof. photog friend took pictures of us (in exchange for two nights of babysitting!). Anyway, my one dress made me look so fat. Any suggestions on how not to look so fat? TIA! I'm adding the link so you can see (it's scary!).

Are you seated? I think if you stood up straighter, with your shoulders back a little more it would help a little. Also, instead of the two of you standing in the same direction, perhaps if you were facing each other. Your arm is in the forefront of the picture and with your skin being so much lighter than the background of your dress, it is very much highlighted.

I do weird things when I'm photographed in sleeveless tops (not my fav photos of myself, either). I pull my arms back, squeeze them to my sides, then pull them forward again, any of the "middle age" extra skin gets hidden underneath the arms. Now try this, along with turtleneck (this involves how to hold your head for avoiding double chins) and try to look natural ;)

Will your friend touch up the photo, adding a little shadow, or will they re-take for you? While I don't think you look horribly fat or anything, I understand how critical we can be of ourselves.

Okay, everybody and there brother wants a picture of us in our formal duds. So, to save money, our prof. photog friend took pictures of us (in exchange for two nights of babysitting!). Anyway, my one dress made me look so fat. Any suggestions on how not to look so fat? TIA! I'm adding the link so you can see (it's scary!).

You look lovely! And with that beautiful smile of yours, nobody will even be looking at the dress.

Besides, you'll be on a cruise ship! What do you care what a ship full of strangers think?? Just enjoy yourself!!

Sharon H.

How should I answers Derfette's question

Does this dress make me look fat?

I think you already know the answer to this question if you've been married more than a day or two :) !

First, you should actually look at her and then say: "No, dear. You look beautiful!"

I think you already know the answer to this question if you've been married more than a day or two :) !

First, you should actually look at her and then say: "No, dear. You look beautiful!"

I disagree. My weight can fluxuate by about 8 - 10 pounds with the excess all going to my rear & thighs. When I'm at this "fat" weight, some of my clothes simply don't look good. When I ask DH about a specific article of clothing he gives me an honest answer and I appreciate it. He always tells me how pretty I am, and in the scheme of things I'm not fat, I'm a size 6. However, he knows how unhappy I am when I look too big on the bottom and that some things look better than others. I prefer the honesty and don't care to leave the house in something that's not flattering.

Just another opinion.......

Jane110, I'm happy to say my husband will be honest with me, too.

He's a great guy and I appreciate him not lying to me to not hurt my feelings. I also tell him when something doesn't look quite right to me that he has on, either.

To the OP, I did forget to say the dress is very pretty and the two of you look great together, everyone is right, your smile sure does shine!

Lovebug33,

Only you can tell how you feel in the dress, as I said it is a very pretty dress. However to answer you question with an HONEST answer I think it would make you a little more comfortable if you had a sheer jacket of some type. I know Davids Bridal carries them but don't know how much you want to put into one. I also know my mom keeps telling us she is a fluffy woman (WE love her anyway no matter what she looks like):p but she has always said she feels more comfortable with a sheer like jacket and if you have it made you can have it done as long as what you want it! I am sure you can find a sheer type of material to match the color of your dress and it would not hide the front what so ever!

You have a beautiful smile and I do think the dress is pretty! If you feel uncomfortable then only you can decide what to do! Besides, it is really difficult to tell exactly how you look in the dress w/o see you standing up in it!

And yes the people who wrote that they would rather have an honest opinion I would too! I think it is horrible to lie to someone! :cool: Honesty will get you everywhere!!!! ELEMENTARY!:rolleyes:

I cruise in three days and got my formal back from the seamstress today and it's so tight I cant breathe in it, but one thing that I notice helps me look thinner in photos is having a tan. Maybe you could use some self-tanner on your chest/arms. I'm sure someone on here can tell you a good one to use. I'm bad. I go to the tanning bed, but honestly I would not recommend that!

Thank you for your help and nice comments! I am going to get a jacket. I've worn the dress before but never had pictures taken in it (I wore it to a wedding). Everybody said it looks nice and I am 15 pounds lighter, but those pictures just shocked me! I liked the other dress better, though, so maybe I just won't buy any pictures of me in that dress!

Thank you for your help and nice comments! I am going to get a jacket. I've worn the dress before but never had pictures taken in it (I wore it to a wedding). Everybody said it looks nice and I am 15 pounds lighter, but those pictures just shocked me! I liked the other dress better, though, so maybe I just won't buy any pictures of me in that dress!

Lovebug33,

Congrats on the weight loss!

It's a little hard to tell how the dress fits because you're sitting. However, if you want some honest feedback........I think you need to buy a better fitting bra. If you look just below the right bow you can see the gap between the fabric and your breast which shouldn't be there. If you bought a better fitting, more uplifting bra, I think your body would look both thinner and more youthful and you'd enjoy wearing your dress

I don't think you need to buy a jacket for the dress. But I do think you need a photographer that's better skilled at formal protraits.

Lovebug,

I think part of the problem is the weight loss. The dress isnt quite fitting the same as it did before and the most of the time loser clothes make us appear fatter. I would probably see if you can take it to a seamsstress an have it taken in just a bit to make it fit more flattering. I agree with the poster who recommend the new bra, again with the weight loss unfortunitly things change. Also try standing up taller. I dont think it looks bad, but then I havent seen you in any others either to compare it to.

I have just lost about 50 lbs and it has been so long since I have worn a dress, that I too put on the dresses for my upcoming cruise and one day think I look good and the next day think, oh my gosh I'm as big as a house! Chalk it up to womens hormones, and have a great cruise!!!

Kym

LOL!!!! I look fat in everything because I am! but I do try to pick stuff that is more flattering! Maybe next time (and I have done this!) get your hubby to take a digital pic of you in your gown when you first bring it home-if you hate it- return it!

Plenty of times -things looked "good" in that dressingroom mirror but not in the digital pic!

momofmeg, I've seen your photos and I didn't think that at all! I thought you looked lovely!

But your idea of the photo for the future is a good one. I can't tell you how many times I've thought I looked great in something until I saw myself in a photo. Mirrors can lie, pictures don't. Don't ask me why this is.

To the OP: Love the dress!! I agree with everybody. You don't look fat to me! We're always our own worst critic. You may want to try the self-tanner route. Darker=slimmer and the contrast from the dress to your skin may be exaggerating the perception you're getting.

momofmeg, I've seen your photos and I didn't think that at all! I thought you looked lovely!

But your idea of the photo for the future is a good one. I can't tell you how many times I've thought I looked great in something until I saw myself in a photo. Mirrors can lie, pictures don't. Don't ask me why this is.

To the OP: Love the dress!! I agree with everybody. You don't look fat to me! We're always our own worst critic. You may want to try the self-tanner route. Darker=slimmer and the contrast from the dress to your skin may be exaggerating the perception you're getting.

That is why I lay out in the sun all the time!!!!!!! (But it doesn't work)

Archived