Celebrity Century

E91

Our son is so excited to take a cruise. My wife and I do an annual cruise and leave him with the grandparents. He will be 5 in March and decided it would be fun to do a shorter cruise (5 night) aboard the Celebrity Century and bring him and the grandparents along. We always wanted to try Celebrity and this makes for a good excuse.

We love HAL and our aft Verandah Suites. We booked Sky deck Sky Suites on the Century. Yes an older ship, but remodeled.

What can we expect in terms of the overall experience and service versus HAL? We tried the Car. Princess earlier this year and were terribly disappointed. Give me some Celebrity feedback from the HAL lovers.

Our son is so excited to take a cruise. My wife and I do an annual cruise and leave him with the grandparents. He will be 5 in March and decided it would be fun to do a shorter cruise (5 night) aboard the Celebrity Century and bring him and the grandparents along. We always wanted to try Celebrity and this makes for a good excuse.

We love HAL and our aft Verandah Suites. We booked Sky deck Sky Suites on the Century. Yes an older ship, but remodeled.

What can we expect in terms of the overall experience and service versus HAL? We tried the Car. Princess earlier this year and were terribly disappointed. Give me some Celebrity feedback from the HAL lovers.

E91:

Sound like a wonderful idea for a family cruise:) My mother has most recently been on Celebrity's Mercury (penthouse), and HAL's Zaandam in an SA suite. She says both lines are very similar in terms of service and accommodation, although the HAL suite was more nicely appointed and was in better condition (she felt). I think she liked the dining room service and presentation a little better on Celebrity. On Mercury she had a butler, and on HAL she had the concierge lounge. She was happy with both cruises. Sorry I don't have more specific info for you than that.

Karin

We have enjoyed being on the Century for a 7 day cruise in 2001. LIked it so much we tried out the Millenium the following year. Celebrity used to be my favorite line....but HAL has given us a better rate, and the service is so friendly! We would sail on either, in a heartbeat!

HAL is your extreme pal. X is like your Gal.

X is having more British formality and a visitor. HAL treats you like a guest.:cool:

After only three cruises (two on the Westerdam and one on the Constellation), we would not hesitate to say We LOVE HAL ... and are hesitant to ever sail on Celebrity again. Our experience with customer service on AND off the ship was "we just say NO". We didn't care for the staff at all (just couldn't warm up to the European dining room staff vs. warm Indonesian staff on HAL, as an example), cabins are not nearly as nice or roomy, service just not quite up to snuff as HAL. If you are coffee drinkers, look out! Celebrity's coffee is undrinkable (lots of threads on the boards about that). Food is good but not the variety of HAL. The shows were similar in caliber (we enjoyed both lines').

That said, we're doing a 12 night Baltic cruise on Royal Caribbean next summer to try a different line.... kinda nervous but you never know, it might turn out to be a great experience. There are those that love RC and those that don't. Guess that's why there are so many cruise lines to begin with -- to hopefully satisfy everyone's taste.

In any case, hope your cruise with your family is great.

Archived