Legend - Dinner Club question

dansu

I was just reading the Dinner Club menu posted by CC'r, and was noticing the side dishes, which to me sounds absolutely yummy....but hubby is a strict meat and potatoes man..french fried potatoes that is. Does the Dinner club serve french fries, as I do not see them on the menu?

Hmmm...never heard of it, or seen anyone order french fries in the supper club... maybe they could get them from the dining room? Or perhaps he could branch out and try a baked potato??

Suggested that already...no go!

He's such a picky eater he would order the 24 oz porterhouse and that's it, as he only eats iceberg lettuce in his salad, and those appear to be culinary masterpieces as well.

I too will have a hard time choosing what to order, as I love to try new things....and everything sounds so yummy. They need a sampler plate added to their menu.

Suggested that already...no go!

He's such a picky eater he would order the 24 oz porterhouse and that's it, as he only eats iceberg lettuce in his salad, and those appear to be culinary masterpieces as well.

I too will have a hard time choosing what to order, as I love to try new things....and everything sounds so yummy. They need a sampler plate added to their menu.

Hmmm.. LOL ... If he is happy with just the Porterhouse (along with the beef carpaccio!) - then great. If not, perhaps they can come up with some fries. If that also fails, then just save your $..:D (find someone else to go with ;) )

Tom

Hmmm.. LOL ... If he is happy with just the Porterhouse (along with the beef carpaccio!) - then great. If not, perhaps they can come up with some fries. If that also fails, then just save your $..:D (find someone else to go with ;) )

Tom

No...no carpaccio either, and I really want to go.

BTW going with someone else is a non-issue, as it's our 25th Anniversary, and we are going alone on our 1st cruise...no boys.

Oh well I guess $30.00 isn't bad for a 24oz porterhouse, which I have heard is really good. I'll just have to order surf and turf with all the trimmings to balance it out.

Is it like the main dining room, as in can you order more than one item from each section, or do they limit your portions, as hubby is 6'4" with a hollow leg, and loves his red meat.

on the bottom of the menu it does state no substitions please.

So for your DH to substitute a baked tater for fries isnt going to happen.

The food is bought out in courses- will your DH be able to sit there while you go through the appetizer-- the soups then the main course with nothing to do??

Nothing on the menu grabs his attention??

the portions in the supper club are bigger then the dining room. If you want more then one you have to pay for it. Most people get one entree and they have to be rolled outta there

on the bottom of the menu it does state no substitions please.

So for your DH to substitute a baked tater for fries isnt going to happen.

The food is bought out in courses- will your DH be able to sit there while you go through the appetizer-- the soups then the main course with nothing to do??

Nothing on the menu grabs his attention??

the portions in the supper club are bigger then the dining room. If you want more then one you have to pay for it. Most people get one entree and they have to be rolled outta there

Nah....he won't be bored...he'll just be watching me eat everything I order and asking me if I should really be eating it:p

...and if all else fails..he can nosh on bread rolls ... as I won't be wasting any carbs on those empty calories...saving them for the good stuff, I believe they had an apple tarte of some kind. I wonder how many fruits LA would classify that dessert as? LOL

Like I said earlier $30.00 (even $36.00CAD) really isn't alot of money for a good steak....we've certainly paid more for a good meal out. He'll be fine..if he's hungry later he can have a midnight snack of pizza or a sandwich from room service.

the best dessert is that choc trio- other then that the desserts are not what you really expected--- like the cheesecake.. bleec it was hard like a biscotti.

--

The citrus cheesecake that my husband ordered was fab. It was warm & creamy...not hard at all. I had the choc. trio....it was out of this world.

You think like I do! No room for salad when I'm on a cruise! ;)

When I was on the Legend they allowed us to substitute another appetizer for a salad. So we would order the New England crab cakes & lobster bisque and skip the salad...etc.

Sorry I don't have advice for your husband, but I'm sure you both with have a great time. It is a very romantic experience!

Just my opinion: I really think that if you can't substitute for the potato of your choice, french fries!!!, it's not a true "specialty" restaurant or worth the addtional charge.

Geesh........please, tell me it's not true......

Judy

Perhaps you could ask for PIZZA and an ICE CREAM CONE too...:D ;)

Tom

Perhaps you could ask for PIZZA and an ICE CREAM CONE too...:D ;)

Tom

Your point is--- what ??????

Would I personally ever order French fries as my potato/starch choice at a specialty restaurant? No. But.... some this may be some people's preference.

Would I expect that, considering the additional charge at the restaurant, I would be able to order pretty much anything available on the ship as my choice? Yes.

Choosing the alternative dining is just as much about the ambience as about the food. I'm paying extra....make me happy, regardless of my preferences, as "low class" as they may seem.

My opinion,

Judy

Would I personally ever order French fries as my potato/starch choice at a specialty restaurant? No. But.... some this may be some people's preference.

Would I expect that, considering the additional charge at the restaurant, I would be able to order pretty much anything available on the ship as my choice? Yes.

Choosing the alternative dining is just as much about the ambience as about the food. I'm paying extra....make me happy, regardless of my preferences, as "low class" as they may seem.

My opinion,

Judy

Not trying to be difficult, but I fail to see the logic here... it's a supper club, it's an upscale restaurant... just because you pay more you should be able to get anything on the ship??? No, if you want items that aren't served there, there are other dining options. The menu is specific. Now, if the waiter wants to go out of their way and go to the dining room (which is many times on the other end of the ship), then that is up to them... but they by no means have to just because you paid $30... it's very cheap for the meal you get, but they have a menu for a reason ;) If you could get anything you wanted, what would the point be in even havaing a menu???? I think it's asking a bit much for only $30, for them to run all over the ship to get anything served on the ship... if you want something served elsewhere on the ship, why not just go there???

hmm, going into a McDonalds and ordering a whopper with cheese. You pay for it so they should make it your way?

on the ship-- you cannot get pizza at the buffet or the grill. you have to go get it yourself... jsut because they make it on the ship doesnt mean someone goes and gets it for you.

hmm, going into a McDonalds and ordering a whopper with cheese. You pay for it so they should make it your way?

on the ship-- you cannot get pizza at the buffet or the grill. you have to go get it yourself... jsut because they make it on the ship doesnt mean someone goes and gets it for you.

We were not talking here about getting pizza...we were talking about fries as a potato option with a steak at the dinner club. This is not an unreasonable request, in my opinion, when you are paying $30PP for dinner, considering the demographics of the Carnival passengers. Why aren't they expecting this request? Not my choice, ever, but obviously important to some and for the extra charge they should make it happen.

FYI--McDonald's doesn't have whoppers, Burger King does, but both will "make it your way," with or without anything, when ordering at the drive through, with a 60 second turn around time.

Judy

FYI--McDonald's doesn't have whoppers, Burger King does, but both will "make it your way," with or without anything, when ordering at the drive through, with a 60 second turn around time.

OK, I'm not really going to get into what this thread is about but I really HAVE to know, where do you live?

Because I haven't managed to get breakfast at a McD's in under 60 seconds since they stopped making it 60 seconds or it's free.

What does this mean?

"considering the demographics of the Carnival passengers",

What demographic are Carnival passengers in that means they can change things when they are on board just because "that is the way I want it"?

whew-- I wouldnt touch that statement with a golden keyboard. (LOL)

We were not talking here about getting pizza...we were talking about fries as a potato option with a steak at the dinner club. This is not an unreasonable request, in my opinion, when you are paying $30PP for dinner, considering the demographics of the Carnival passengers. Why aren't they expecting this request? Not my choice, ever, but obviously important to some and for the extra charge they should make it happen.

If the line in the kitchen/galley is not setup to make fries it is a problem. Food prep in a commercial kitchen is quite different than at home. I'm not saying that they should not offer them but if they are not setup to make them it would slow down everyone's meal for one of the line cooks to stop and make them.

Judy

Well, primarily because french fries AREN'T a "potato option"... if it was offered as a "potato option", there wouldn't be a problem... but it's not. Yes, it would be like going to a steak house and ordering chicken nuggets as your "meat option" when it's not on the menu. Places have menus for a reason... just because you are paying for your meal, doesn't give you any right to decide what should be on the menu!!!!!

I agree... I'm not touching the "demographics" comment :rolleyes:

Dansu, don't worry... I'm sure hubby will get by with what they have... have him TRY the mashed potatoes... they are SO good!!!! If he doesn't like them, he doesn't have to eat them, but bat your eyes and see if he'll at least try them ;) Good luck!

My opinion,

Judy

I do realize it is "your opinion"....but I don't see how my husbands preference for fried potatoes over baked makes him "low class". I wonder what Emily Post would say...I'll have to check my book on etiquette and manners and get back to you...that is unless you have your copy handy!

BTW...are you still sailing with us in January?

Just read hubby the post about his potato preference to which he replied..."I'd eat the baked potato(plain no trimmings) before I'd eat the mashed, as I still have all of my own teeth." ....and went on to say "it really amazes me that a simple question about a potato brings out the worst in some people."

...and with that I will say thank you to those of you who actually answered my question, and to the rest of you.....I'd like to think that my mother raised lady!

Just read hubby the post about his potato preference to which he replied..."I'd eat the baked potato(plain no trimmings) before I'd eat the mashed, as I still have all of my own teeth." ....and went on to say "it really amazes me that a simple question about a potato brings out the worst in some people."

...and with that I will say thank you to those of you who actually answered my question, and to the rest of you.....I'd like to think that my mother raised lady!

LOL!! Well, he is really missing out on the mashed potatoes :p And there are alot of us that love them and still have our teeth... what does the man eat on Turkey day?? Thanksgiving without mashed potatoes??? Is that even legal??? :eek: LOL!

Glad he's going to go with a potato... you guys will have a great meal!!!!!

I think some have a problem with my prior postings.

Please let me clarify: If you go back and read alll the posts in this thread, I was on the side of the original poster. If the hubby wants fries, he should be able to get them, when paying extra for dinner. We're not talking about wanting a burger, but FRIES as a SIDE with steak........geesh!

Another poster insinuated it was low class by saying.. what next....maybe wanting pizza/whatever at the specialty restaurant. That response was absurd and totally off my point.

My reference to Carnival demographics was because Carnival is a great, affordable cruise line for regular, everyday, working stiffs, just like me!!! A request for fries instead of a baked potato at a specialty restaurant costing extra should not be that big of a deal. I'm sure we will all agree that this is not Crystal cruise lines.

Whew......did I redeem myself? No put downs intended, ever! I have always been on the side of the original poster and now am really questioning if we will even try the specialty dining...I don't want to give them my money if they are so unreasonable about choices/substitutions.

Judy

Archived