Pictures of Arcadia in St. Maarten Oct 31 - and passengers! (5 pics)

zackiedawg

Hello, fellow cruisers from across the pond. On October 31, 2006, our ship Radiance of the Seas was docked stern to stern with Arcadia, which was on her 'J625 Spirit of the Caribbean' cruise (Oct 20 - Nov 4). I spoke to some passengers on the docks who told of their rough seas encounters coming out of the Azores...we had until that point had flat seas and calm weather (though the weather later got its revenge on us, Nov 4 coming into the Bahamas - 25 foot seas and 45 knot winds).

Anyway, I had the opportunity from my aft balcony to photograph the Arcadia's departure, and rather boistrous and active deck party for sailaway...I thought any Arcadia fans might enjoy some nice shots of her as she departed into a beautiful sunset. And if you happened to be aboard her for this cruise, you may see yourself on deck for the sailaway! (I had a very powerful zoom).

Here she is just behind us with the decks awash in singing Brits:

69795238.jpg

I believe the song of that moment was 'I've got a Lovely Bunch of Coconuts'!

Here is a close-up of some passngers at sailaway - are you in this shot?:

69795232.jpg

Here the ship pulls away from the dock and into the golden light:

69795246.jpg

That's when the colors of the sky and the reflections really began to deepen:

69795248.jpg

The final departing shot, and the last of the day's light:

69795250.jpg

Hope any P&O or Arcadia fans enjoyed a look at the ship from an outsider's perspective. You all certainly have more fun aboard than most American cruises, at least based on the singing and partying on deck for a solid 2 hours! We Americans need to look into booking a British cruise every once in a while - and no children to boot! You're speaking my language.

Happy cruising!

Thanks for those pictures zackiedawg.They are fantastic!

We saw the Arcadia for the first time in St. Maarten last year. I managed to get some good pictures too, from the deck of the Century.I posted them on cruisemates galleries if anyone wants to do a search!

We are booked on Arcadia for the Christmas Panama and Mexican riviera cruise. I booked it a year last April. We have an aft balcony too.I can pick it out very clearly on one of your pictures!

We usually cruise with the American lines of Celebrity/RCI so it will be interesting to be on a British ship! I must say it was the child free aspect that attracted me!

I wish more P&O passengers would post on these boards, they are much more user friendly and faster than the P&O site.

I have learnt so much valuable info from them these past few years and met some great people too!

Happy cruising!

Lisa

Fantastic photographs, any chance of getting copies of the original digital camera files? My email address is vampireparrot at btinternet dot com.

I took photographs of the Century from the Arcadia..... would you like them?

Our cabin was on the stern on the top accomodation deck, it's the one just to the left (port) of centre....

Cheers!!!

James

Sure...I can forward the files when I get home tonight (stuck at work at the moment).

The files are in 7MP size (3072 x 2304 pixels approximately), so they are fairly large...If they are too large to send together, I'll send them to you in 2 or 3 e-mails with a few attached to each.

Hi,

We were on Arcadia although not at the sailaway party. I did take some photo's of Radiance, have a look.

PB100342.jpg

and

PB100325.jpg

The second one was taken on arrival in the morning.

:p :p :p

Gan Canny

Dai

Hi Zackiedawg,

This was our first cruise, and you and your camera have caught me and my wife (drink in one hand, flag in the other) and posted it for all the world to see, thank heavens it was the wife. Seriously though, thanks for these great photos, we really enjoyed this sailaway party, had a fantastic time on board the Arcadia, and enjoyed all the islands we visited, we can definately recommend it, we are now looking to book another cruise holiday.

WOW Dai...you just about caught ME in your photo! The first photograph of the Radiance, at the far bottom left corner of your picture...there is an elderly couple standing on their balcony on the lowest accomodation deck (7). My balcony is the very next one to the left of your shot, just cut off by the side of your ship.

Archiebag - Amazingly small world, isn't it? I had little hope that out of the 2,500 or so passengers on your ship that I might have captured a distinguishable photo of anyone who would visit the boards - but I gave it the old college try. And shockingly...you were one of those people (and your wife of course). That two people from different countries on different ships should find eachother on the internet from just a millisecond of time captured in a photograph, speaks to both the miracle of the internet as well as the scariness of it! At least neither of you were doing anything embarrassing. :)

I actually was drawn to the scene because of the waving Union Jacks...sailing off against the sunset, the light was warm and the contrast ws forgiving enough to discern the faces and flags against the backlit scene. I never specifically intended to photograph specific people...just the celebratory and nationalistic scene.

Thank you for identifying yourself! It makes the thread and the pictures more interesting to 'hear' the voice of a photograph subject. If you'd like any larger copies of any of those photos, please let me know - I'd be glad to e-mail them to you.

WOW Dai...you just about caught ME in your photo! The first photograph of the Radiance, at the far bottom left corner of your picture...there is an elderly couple standing on their balcony on the lowest accomodation deck (7). My balcony is the very next one to the left of your shot, just cut off by the side of your ship.

Archiebag - Amazingly small world, isn't it? I had little hope that out of the 2,500 or so passengers on your ship that I might have captured a distinguishable photo of anyone who would visit the boards - but I gave it the old college try. And shockingly...you were one of those people (and your wife of course). That two people from different countries on different ships should find eachother on the internet from just a millisecond of time captured in a photograph, speaks to both the miracle of the internet as well as the scariness of it! At least neither of you were doing anything embarrassing. :)

I actually was drawn to the scene because of the waving Union Jacks...sailing off against the sunset, the light was warm and the contrast ws forgiving enough to discern the faces and flags against the backlit scene. I never specifically intended to photograph specific people...just the celebratory and nationalistic scene.

Thank you for identifying yourself! It makes the thread and the pictures more interesting to 'hear' the voice of a photograph subject. If you'd like any larger copies of any of those photos, please let me know - I'd be glad to e-mail them to you.

That would be excellent. My address is daiandlinda@yahoo.co.uk.

When I get your email I will return the ones I posted.

Thanks

Gan Canny

Dai

:) :) :)

Dai...I'll send those out this evening...It's 10am here and I'm at work, so I have no access to the photos! I'll send them in two separate e-mails, as the file is a bit too large to send all of them together (as I learned when sending them to James!).

I'll look forward to yours as well.

Dai...I'll send those out this evening...It's 10am here and I'm at work, so I have no access to the photos! I'll send them in two separate e-mails, as the file is a bit too large to send all of them together (as I learned when sending them to James!).

I'll look forward to yours as well.

Hi zackiedawg,

My computer has been out of action, having a problem fixed since Thursday so i have just checked my E mail and there was nothing.

Thanks for the pics, zackiedawg!

Nearly everyone on that cruise had a great time on the Arcadia... however the trip across "the pond" to the Caribbean from the UK was interesting, force 7 gale on the first day, followed by two days of severe gale force 9... then after the Azores, the wind increased to storm force 10.

Some of the poor buggers who hadn't taken any motion sickness tablets were rather ill.... however, my wife and myself took a daily Bonine when the weather was bad, and so we were fine.

(UK equivalent of Bonine : "Sea-legs")

James

• 2 months later...

Hi Guys,

Newie here (to these boards anyway). Just wondering why I cannot see these photographs - would so dearly love to as we were on the Arcadia staying in Aft Cabin No. E184 last October and are booked on the Med. Medley sruice in Cabin No. D184 in August (even longer balcony I have been told).

Any suggestions as to why I cannot seem to view?

We love Arcadia, especially those aft cabins - hard to find any as good on other ships and we have certainly tried:)

Regards to all,

Barbarella

Archived