I have a question for those of you that have been on RCCL and Carnival

DG2004

We have sailed on both cruise lines - plus several others. In a minute I'd choose Carnival over RCCL. MUCH better food, nicer and more efficient staff, cleaner ship, MUCH better entertainment, much bigger rooms, and we've found Carnival to be less expensive. All around, Carnivall was SO much better than RCCL. Oh, and, yes, I'd say exactly the same thing on the RCCL site. Also, we haven't noticed any more drinking or smoking on Carnival either.

I've been on Carnival many times and most recently was on RCCL's Mariner. The Mariner is a beautiful ship although it had some wacky elements to it.

Not nearly as much "fun" stuff on Mariner even with all the extras--rock climbing, ice skating etc. I had to sign releases every time one of my kids wanted to participate, rather than once release for the week.

Food on Carnival much better, especially the pizza! The show on Carnival are much more professional and varied. Staff on Carnival was also friendlier.

Night life MUCH better on Carnival! On Mariner it seemed things were closed up or just very quiet by 12:30am.

I have been on about 8 RCCL and 3 Carnival and am going on a Carnival New Year's Eve cruise. Frankly, I don't think there are many significant differences. At least differences great enough to affect the cruise experience. To me, its itinerary, number of sea days (the more the better) and departure port are the factors worth agonizing over. Find a good cruise at a good price, and I'm sure you'll enjoy it, whatever the line. (Ex-DW did like RCCL better, hence the greater number of RCCL cruises).

Me, my wife, and several friends (6 at this point) are looking to book a cruise for next early fall (September)

Me and my wife just got back from our 1st cruise on RCCL and it was ok…good but not great…and two of our friends are talking about maybe wanting to switch to Carnival for the trip

Ages from 24-32

We all like to drink, gamble, shop, lay in the sun, and enjoy good food.

Can anyone give me the honest run down between these 2 lines?

Are drinks really cheaper on Carnival?

Is the food really better on RCCL?

Is it impossible to get a deck chair by the pool on Carnival?

etc...etc....etc

Both are mass market cruise lines. Both have pluses and minuses. Don't let anyone tell you that one is head and shoulders above the other. If you have been on RCCl and enjoyed it you will likely enjoy Carnival and vice versa.

Find the itinerary that you want and the time of year, then find the line to sail based on price. You won't go wrong who ever you sail if you are on any of the mass market lines.

I like both and wouldn't turn down a cruise on either (I have been on two from each line). I think RCCL's ships are far more beautiful and have more activities, but beyond that they are very similar. I think Carnival has slightly better food, larger cabins and better pricing. Carnival also has a topless deck on most of their ships. RCCL ships have more activities like minigolf, full size basketball courts, climbing walls, ice skating rinks on the Voyger class ships, etc. My biggest complaint about Carnival is that they close their pools and hot tubs down way too early, while RCCL keeps at least 1 pool and hot tub open 24 hours. I think service and entertainment is similar on both. If you have young children, Carnival staff will change diapers in Camp Carnival - no diaper changing on RCCL. Drink prices are really close to being the same on either. Deck chairs - well that likely depends more on which ship and where you sail. I have less of a problem finding deck chairs on either line on ships out of San Juan compaired to ships out of Florida.

I have done Jewel of the Seas which was a brand new no smoking ship to the Baltic in 2004 and the sister ship Brilliance of the Seas (smoking) to the Med in 2006. I feel like I got what I paid for food, entertainment, wine package, excursions, cabin, etc, etc. I was on Carnival Conquest in Oct 2005 the last cruise before Wilma hit Cozumel and I felt it was a bargain priced that exceeded my expectations. Yes it was smoke everywhere but my wife and I are some of the youngest 60 year olds you will find and we had a great time. I got another bargain on Carnival Glory for New Years and am really excited about all the ports and excursions and parties and food. My expectations are higher after the Conquest so I will post a review in January after I return. I have never taken a bad cruise and I have been on some with weather problems, mechanical problems, port call problems etc, etc. You can't go wrong but I agree that you and your friends would probably enjoy the Canival atmosphere a little more and you would probably feel you got a bargain. Go HAVE FUN!!

Archived