Charges on Princess

cassandra44

Someone mentioned having to pay for a card for soft drinks and coffee on Princess cruises. Is that correct? Will I have to pay for iced-tea which I love to sip by the pool?

We've been spoiled on Oceania where everything is included except alcoholic drinks. Sounds as if you get nickel-dimed to death on some other cruiselines...and they also have the nerve to stop passengers bringing alcohol on board. I'd like to see hotel chains try that one!!

Ice tea is FREE 24 hours/day in the area where the breakfast/lunch buffet is.

You can buy a soda card if you wish. Cost is $3.95 per day (I think). If you just have an occasional soda, it is $1.50 each. So if you have 3+ per day it is better to buy the card. The card only applies to fountain drinks, not cans.

Paul

Someone mentioned having to pay for a card for soft drinks and coffee on Princess cruises. Is that correct? Will I have to pay for iced-tea which I love to sip by the pool?

We've been spoiled on Oceania where everything is included except alcoholic drinks. Sounds as if you get nickel-dimed to death on some other cruiselines...and they also have the nerve to stop passengers bringing alcohol on board. I'd like to see hotel chains try that one!!

The coffee card is for cappucino, lattes,mochas, etc.-also at the coffee bar there is regular coffee for $1 which some feel tastes better then the Lido or dinningroom coffee. (no extra charge)

Onething though, you sound so bitter, and not happy with your chopice of Princess, maybe next cruise you should choose Oceania, and pay much more for your cuise, so you don't "get nickeled and dimed to death".

Personally, I don't drink carbonated drinks except for an occasional rum and coke-so I like the way Princess does it. I pay for what I want-not what other's want.

Every mainstream cruise line has a variety of additional charges for certain items. Princess is no different. You can't compare a mainstream line to Oceania, where the prices are significantly higher. If that's the experience you want or are expecting, you may want to rethink your Princess cruise.

Thanks, guys for the information. One person wondered if I'm bitter...not really--- just cynical. Although I love cruising I really hate being hosed---whether it's having to pay exorbitant prices for excursions, or extra charges for drinks and so on. The good news is that iced tea is "free"!

And, yes I am looking forward to my cruise on Princess.......this is just a minor irritant but one worth discussing on the forum.

Thanks, guys for the information. One person wondered if I'm bitter...not really--- just cynical. Although I love cruising I really hate being hosed---whether it's having to pay exorbitant prices for excursions, or extra charges for drinks and so on. The good news is that iced tea is "free"!

And, yes I am looking forward to my cruise on Princess.......this is just a minor irritant but one worth discussing on the forum.

Cassandra, the mainstream lines, for the most part, have not raised prices in more then 5 years-because of the economy. They have to make a buck somewhere-so if PAX wabt extras now-on many things the PAX pay extra.

Still though, I have priced Oceania and you can buy the coffee card, the soda card and wine with your dinner every night on Princess and still your total cost on Princess will be less then Oceania. Now I am not saying I would not cruise Oceania-it is just right now that is not in my budget.

BTW-Princess will charge $10 a day for tips-which on Oceania tips are not expected-so you need to remember that also-but STILL Princess costs less then Oceania-even factoring all of these things in.

Momofmeg ..apologies I was away and have just read the replies.

Actually Oceania does have an automatic charge for service added to the bill. That's not an issue - the crew members deserve every extra cent.

I know that Oceania charges more but you have to take into account the fact that the price includes the airfare (not many cruiselines do that) so in the end the difference isn't as great as you might think.

Our last two cruises have been on Oceania and I must say we thoroughly enjoyed them (and we even David McCulloch (Pulitzer Prize winner) as a guest speaker on our Panama Canal cruise (I don't think there could be a better or more knowledgeable speaker on that topic).

You may not believe this but I have no connection with Oceania but I think that they have really hit on the perfect formula for a good cruise - well-considered itineraries, excellent food, no set times for meals, anytime timing but you can't reserve indefinitely which defeats the whole purpose of anytime dining, small ship and very comfortable beds--and specialty restaurants with no extra charges....plus no "Vegas" style entertainment which is so decades old.

The only downside is that their excursions are really poor value for money.

Anyway I shall see what Princess offers...it's our first time on a really huge ship (almost all of our cruises have involved ships that carry about 800 passengers) though we have sailed on Princess to Alaska.

Want to know the best time I ever had on a ship? 1950's on a P & O ship Southampton - Penang. Fabulous! Very little entertainment - wonderful days on the ship...one of the most memorable experiences of my life...and I was only 11 years old.

Actually Oceania does have an automatic charge for service added to the bill. That's not an issue - the crew members deserve every extra cent.

I know that Oceania charges more but you have to take into account the fact that the price includes the airfare (not many cruiselines do that) so in the end the difference isn't as great as you might think.

Our last two cruises have been on Oceania and I must say we thoroughly enjoyed them (and we even David McCulloch (Pulitzer Prize winner) as a guest speaker on our Panama Canal cruise (I don't think there could be a better or more knowledgeable speaker on that topic).

You may not believe this but I have no connection with Oceania but I think that they have really hit on the perfect formula for a good cruise - well-considered itineraries, excellent food, no set times for meals, anytime timing but you can't reserve indefinitely which defeats the whole purpose of anytime dining, small ship and very comfortable beds--and specialty restaurants with no extra charges....plus no "Vegas" style entertainment which is so decades old.

Anyway I shall see what Princess offers...it's our first time on a really huge ship (almost all of our cruises have involved ships that carry about 800 passengers) though we have sailed on Princess to Alaska.

Want to know the best time I ever had on a ship? 1950's on a P & O ship Southampton - Penang. Fabulous! Very little entertainment - wonderful days on the ship...one of the most memorable experiences of my life...and I was only 11 years old.

Oh really? $4000 a person for a european cruise which includes airfare? we have a balcony on the Connie next year and with our air fare also we are paying considerably less per person. I am not a wine drinker nor do I drink carbonated drinks so I will stick with the Connie myself.

$6.00 a day!!! That can't be right, can it? Most I have read say it is 3.95 a day. Well, that will certainly change things. I was debating on the card, but maybe not. I just cannot drink that much soda.

I will find out in a week either way. :)

$6.00 a day!!! That can't be right, can it? Most I have read say it is 3.95 a day. Well, that will certainly change things. I was debating on the card, but maybe not. I just cannot drink that much soda.

Last year on the Dawn it was $3.95 so unless they raised their rates.

It should tell you in their cruise FAQ .

Maybe you can come up with a better analogy. Hotels really don't have a reasonable expectation that you will buy drinks while on their premises. In fact, they often provide you with a list of good restaurants and night spots nearby...so you can go out and enjoy yourself. On a cruise, on the other hand...

...sounds as if you get nickel-dimed to death on some other cruiselines...and they also have the nerve to stop passengers bringing alcohol on board. I'd like to see hotel chains try that one!!

Last year on the Dawn it was $3.95 so unless they raised their rates.

It should tell you in their cruise FAQ .

On Princess, the current rate is $3.95. I think the person that quoted $6.00 had other cruiselines listed in his/her signature.

We don't drink much soda, so it's cheaper for us to pay as we go. Same with the coffee card...we only had a few, so we bought them individually, rather than the card.

I don't fee "nickel and dimed". If I want something, I buy it. If I don't think it's worth it, I don't. Simple as that. :)

Does anyone know the price of the coffee card? We are going to travelling on the Regal Princess in January and I think I might be interested in the coffee card. On the past two cruises, I've found the regular coffee to be just awful and have found the latte to be the only decent coffee on the ship.

Every mainstream cruise line has a variety of additional charges for certain items. Princess is no different. You can't compare a mainstream line to Oceania, where the prices are significantly higher. If that's the experience you want or are expecting, you may want to rethink your Princess cruise.

John, you are so right. It is always interesting when we read comments about the upscale or luxury lines and what they do or do not offer. Yes, if you want to and can afford to pay the prices they offer better everything, but it's like staying at a 4 Seasons versus even a Hilton or maybe lower down the ladder a Holiday Inn. Most cruisers either can not or do not want to pay the price for these lines. They choose mass marketed and yes, most mass marketed lines are pretty much alike. Some will charge for one thing, some for another, but I like the idea of being able to control how much I spend. Give my a satisfactor cabin and a good itinerary, at a reasonable price. I will then decide where I want to put the rest of my vacation money. NMNita

As a TA, let me tell you something, Air or no air, Oceana is much pricier than the mass marketed lines. This is not meant to blast anyone or any cruise line, but just to point out, even with all the extras Oceana offers they are still for a certain type of cruiser. the majority of those who cruise are perfectly satisfied with mass marketed lines such as Princess. For you, this may not be the case, but keep us posted anyway. NMnita

$6 for canned drinks-for fountain it is $3.95.

As a TA, let me tell you something, Air or no air, Oceana is much pricier than the mass marketed lines. This is not meant to blast anyone or any cruise line, but just to point out, even with all the extras Oceana offers they are still for a certain type of cruiser. the majority of those who cruise are perfectly satisfied with mass marketed lines such as Princess. For you, this may not be the case, but keep us posted anyway. NMnita

Nita I was not knocking Oceania-I just can't afford it at present and do hope one day I can-I just feel alot of people on this board seem to forget not everyone has their income.

I did feel Princess was a pretty nice mainstream line-not as nice as Celebrity-but much much nicer then RCI or CCL.

Many people I notice gripe about being "nickel and dimed to death" and say they prefer lines like Oceania-I say if they can afford those lines-then go on them-but stop making us who can't afford those lines feel we are "second class" because we cruise mainstream lines. People like me who are not in their position are happy our fare as not gone up-so we can have all the little extras we do not want anyway. I just hate snobbery.

Does anyone know the price of the coffee card? We are going to travelling on the Regal Princess in January and I think I might be interested in the coffee card. On the past two cruises, I've found the regular coffee to be just awful and have found the latte to be the only decent coffee on the ship.

$24 plus the 15% tip which makes it $27.60. If you have cruised Princess before-in your stateroom is a disount booklet that saves you 20% which basially covers the tip. I bought mine as soon as I boarded and then found this. Oh well-it was $4-so it did not "break me".

I don't think anyone was being a snob by pointing out Oceania is an viable option for similar money

if you compare Silverseas to Princess then you are in a different league

If you compare prices on Oceania with Princess they are pretty close when you book early and get the air package and 2 for 1 pricing.

Tips are added to your S&S card on both cruiselines.

You need to compare what you get on both lines

For a caribbean cruise on Princess I checked for the same cabin type $5500. plus air

Oceania 5200. including air -plus taxes

Both lines have different things but you have choices

When we did Princess cruise last year coffee at the Patissere was free except for specialty coffees, free Ice cream was only available for 1 hr and not well known...I found out after we returned you get free ice cream in Horizons in the afternoon otherwise you pay or get it at meal times.

Now Princess charges for regular coffee except in the dining areas.

We use to go sit in the atrium area and have a coffee but now you if you do not want to pay you need to go up to the buffet.

The coffee was much better in the bars or Patissere it was fresh brewed not syrup.

Oceania- free coffee, free cappucino, free ice cream on pool deck 12 till 4pm, Limited smoking areas, no childrens programs, no long lines to get off in port, no smoking in the cabins.

No formal nights, anytime dining, no charge for the specialty restaurants.

no all day buffet

You need to decide what you want and compare lines.

I like both lines for different reasons

Some people love NCL...I would never go on them again

Life is full of choices just shop around.

BTW-Princess will charge $10 a day for tips-which on Oceania tips are not expected-so you need to remember that also-but STILL Princess costs less then Oceania-even factoring all of these things in.

I think you might be confusing Oceania with another line

Tips are added to your account.

I don't think anyone was being a snob by pointing out Oceania is an viable option for similar money

if you compare Silverseas to Princess then you are in a different league

If you compare prices on Oceania with Princess they are pretty close when you book early and get the air package and 2 for 1 pricing.

Tips are added to your S&S card on both cruiselines.

You need to compare what you get on both lines

For a caribbean cruise on Princess I checked for the same cabin type $5500. plus air

Oceania 5200. including air -plus taxes

Both lines have different things but you have choices

When we did Princess cruise last year coffee at the Patissere was free except for specialty coffees, free Ice cream was only available for 1 hr and not well known...I found out after we returned you get free ice cream in Horizons in the afternoon otherwise you pay or get it at meal times.

Now Princess charges for regular coffee except in the dining areas.

We use to go sit in the atrium area and have a coffee but now you if you do not want to pay you need to go up to the buffet.

The coffee was much better in the bars or Patissere it was fresh brewed not syrup.

Oceania- free coffee, free cappucino, free ice cream on pool deck 12 till 4pm, Limited smoking areas, no childrens programs, no long lines to get off in port, no smoking in the cabins.

No formal nights, anytime dining, no charge for the specialty restaurants.

no all day buffet

You need to decide what you want and compare lines.

I like both lines for different reasons

Some people love NCL...I would never go on them again

Life is full of choices just shop around.

Life is full of choices, but that doesn't change the fact Oceana is stil much higher. Yes, you mention 2 for 1s and early booking, air, etc; the mass marketed lines often, offer similar packages. This will often bring the cost of a cruise down to about 1/2 of what the brochure price is. NMnita

Archived