Fairbanks suggestions??

cjnky

The boat trip actually is very very nice. :) Especially with the Bush plane demo. It is very nicely done, even though taking a lot of people, the deck space is excellent. It's especially great with an independent using a toursaver coupon. Don't know if it's in this year's book??

Anyway, plenty to see and do around Fairbanks. Request their visitor guide http://www.explorefairbanks.com

If interested in the Universary- perhaps include the raindeer farm, botanical garden, Large Animal Research tour- just excellent.

Pioneer Park is great and free. :)

The Creamery, has scenic hiking and the exhibit is worth a short stop. The Ice Museum, gives you a look at some spectacular Ice Scupltures. The Public Lands building has a wonderful free exhibit in the basement, if you can see the free Aurora movie, very interesting. Even their library offers an extensive collection of Alaska books, great for a lazy afternoon of reading- free internet access too. (used this several times on my winter trips). The Pipeline Exhibit on the Steese is worth the stop, continue up to the Chatanika Lodge for lunch/dinner enjoying the scenic drive. etc etc etc

It was defintiely touristy, but have to admit we had fun doing the gold mine tour with Princess and then paning for gold. I think I got $8.00 worth--LOL. It was certainly not the highlight of our trip, but if you ahve some free timin in Fairbanks, its something you might want to consider. We took the paddlewheeler too---I thought it was ok---some pretty scenery, some interesting displays, but on the whole, it was a bit too long.

we went to fairbanks this past July. Had a great time. We did the paddle wheeler through Princess but opted out of the gold mine tour. Instead we rented a car and explored. We went to the North Pole, Pioneer Park and to the Pump House for dinner. We had a great time. Very relaxing. But.....everything we did was touristy! I wanted to fly to the artic circle, but this was the last two days of a 15 day vacation with friends. We all were at the end of our dollars. DARN

If you mean the city of "North Pole", it's within 15 min. of Fairbanks. We plan to spend a night at a campground there just to make sure the grandkids get a postcard from the North Pole! (This campground has been HIGHLY recommended by some friends who have been there)

North Pole is 12 miles from Fairbanks on the Richardson. There is a gift shop and they do postmark the mail from the North Pole, can also go direct to the post office, go stright from the exit instead of turning left for the shop. Candy Cane streets and business. :) Santa available for photos.

Going farther down the Steese, 30 miles from Fairbanks is the Knotty Shop, cute "animals" out front and nice collection of stuffed animals in the back.

Keep going- 87 miles from Fairbanks- stop at Rika's Roadhouse and Landing, historical area, and pipeline view across the Tanana River.

Archived