First Time on Royal Caribbean: Serenade of the Seas

YaMamma

I just booked our first cruise on Royal Caribbean. April 7, 2007, Serenade of the Seas, Southern Caribbean. Snagged a "hump" balcony cabin, category E2. We're psyched!

I don't find too many threads on here about this ship.....not sure why?

I will be camping out here on CruiseCritic up until 4/6/07 gathering as much information as I can!

If anyone has hints about getting a table for two at dinner, please let me know. Thanks!

I was on the Serenade the last week & half in October. I really enjoyed myself.

About half the time I requested a table for two (I travel alone). If they didn't have one, I'd be seated at a table for 4 and the staff wouldn't seat anyone else at that table. I never found the food and/or service to be less than good at anytime in the main dining room.

Breakfasts and lunches were in the Windjammer (the buffet area). Only on two occasions did I put something on my plate that I wasn't satisfied with. I merely pushed it aside and ate everything else or I went back to the steam tables and got something else.

Breakfasts for me would be a made to order omlete with hash-browned potatoes & pork sausage.

One thing that the Windjammer did that didn't make any sense at all was that at breakfast one day they'd have whole milk and reduced fat milk (I assume it was 2% the way it tasted). The next day they'd have whole milk and skim milk. When I asked for cartons of reduced fat milk I was told they didn't have any more. The next day they'd have while milk and reduced fat milk again. So they alternated between the reduced fat milk and the skim milk - for whatever reason.

I did have breakfast in the dining room one morning. I was there about 8 in the morning, and I was the ONLY person in the entire dining room other than the staff, of course. I never went back there for breakfast.

Serenade has been in AK all summer, and for some reason, it seems like AK cruisers don't post as much. Try the AK boards for reviews; at least you'd get some meaningful comments on the ship and crew.

We actually prefer the dining room for breakfast! I'd much rather be waited on than have to schlepp my food, beverage, etc.. all around the buffet area looking for a table! It's ever so much more civilized! Only did lunch in there twice, since we were "pooling" it, and didn't want to change!

If you really want a table for 2, (a larger table is soooo much more fun!) then request it now, and follow up at the dining room on the day you board. Bon Voyage!!!!

We were on her in July for Hubbard Glacier Itinarary..(Alaska)...

If your looking for pics of Serenade...there is a link on my sig to my pics...:) Shes a great ship...you will love her!

(Are you sure you want a table for 2??...Part of the fun of cruising is meeting new 'friends' and chatting at dinner...you can always have a quiet cozy lunch or breakfest at a table for 2...think about or at least consider sitting at a larger table...for me that is one of the funnest things about a cruise):)

I just booked our first cruise on Royal Caribbean. April 7, 2007, Serenade of the Seas, Southern Caribbean. Snagged a "hump" balcony cabin, category E2. We're psyched!

I will be camping out here on CruiseCritic up until 4/6/07 gathering as much information as I can!

If anyone has hints about getting a table for two at dinner, please let me know. Thanks!

My wife and I were on the Serenade in April of this year. Wonderful ship and wonderful cruise.

If you want a table for two, go to the Dining room as soon as you get on the ship and talk to the Dining Room Manager (with a $20 bill in your hand). I'm sure he will be glad to make it happen for you.

If he makes it happen, then Mr. Jackson will mysteriously disappear from your hand and appear in his. If he doesn't make it happen, then Mr. Jackson stays with you.:D

You have chosen a great ship for your first RCI cruise!!

I was on Serenade when she was brand new in '03 and was on the second sailing (NY to Canada/New England)...Hump cabin 9078. Fell in love with the ship and the cabin. Was completely bummed out when I found that the NY departures were only for that season!!!

Went on her again in '05 to Alaska...same cabin. LOVED Alaska and the ship all over again.

Also sailed on Radiance in between and yep...9078 again!!!

Haven't done Serenade's Caribbean route yet. I'm now spoiled by Junior Suites but I'd do 9078 again on Serenade...

Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived