Alternative to new bedding?

CruisinCadie

I understand the new duvets are filled with down, which I can't use due to allergies. Are the pillows also down-filled? What alternatives does Princess offer? I am particularly asking about the Dawn Princess, but I am sure there are others on this board, on other ships, who have the same problem.

Thanks.

KD

I was just on the Crown and I don't remember the pillows being down, although they were very comfortable. Ask your stateroom steward for a different pillow (I think if you are in a suite they have a pillow menu so they should be able to provide you with a foam pillow)

After having the duvets the last couple of cruises, I think they are filled with a down 'alternative', not actually any type of feather products. You might give Princess a call here, just to make sure, but I honestly don't think they were the real down comforters. For one thing, there are too many out there allergic to things like this and they just weren't heavy enough to be actual down.

As for the pillows, they have offered a non-allergenic types of pillows on all of the cruises we have taken with Princess, if you need one.

ou might give Princess a call here, just to make sure, but I honestly don't think they were the real down comforters. For one thing, there are too many out there allergic to things like this and they just weren't heavy enough to be actual down.

Actually, relative to loft and warmth, down is as light as, well, a feather. That's one big reason why it's the fill of choice in backpackers' sleeping bags. But it's also tougher to properly take care of than synthetics, and doesn't do well wet. More expensive, too. So I'd bet on synthetic fill.

Do I understand this correctly that because of the duvets, they don't have a top sheet?

Also, the duvets aren't washed after every cruise?

Not a clean freak, but thinking here and I would prefer a top sheet. Is there one?

Do I understand this correctly that because of the duvets, they don't have a top sheet?

Also, the duvets aren't washed after every cruise?

Not a clean freak, but thinking here and I would prefer a top sheet. Is there one?

No worrys, they wash the Duvet covers, they don't use a dirty duvet for the next passenger. If you are going to be cruising in a warmer area, just ask your room steward to put a top sheet on the bed, no problem.

Brain freeze about the weight, I was thinking the feather comforters they use over in Europe that are much heavier. Thanks for the correction.

I have a down duvet on all of the beds in our house, and I seriously doubt the pillows and the duvet are down on Crown. But they're warm and comfortable, and they're a HUGE improvement (although the 'old' spreads are put back on the bed during the day for who-knows-what reason. ??)

There was actually a top sheet on our bed, but I didn't discover it until we were doing a final check of the cabin on the way to disembark. We'd been sleeping on the top sheet without realizing it. So, you might want to just check to see if it's actually there....

I would bet on it, too. Besides the expense, I'm sure they wouldn't want to take the chance of having passengers with severe or even mild allergies to feathers or goose down. We have an "alternative" (polyster fiber) comforter and it feels wonderful. In fact, when I bought it, I only read the word "down" and just assumed that it was real. I was surprised to see that it wasn't after we had been using it for awhile. One thing I am not fond of is when they have something like 75% feathers and 25% down. I hate feathers poking me! I have a feather pillow that I LOVE! But, I have to use 2 or 3 pillowcases on it to keep the feathers at bay! :p

Actually, relative to loft and warmth, down is as light as, well, a feather. That's one big reason why it's the fill of choice in backpackers' sleeping bags. But it's also tougher to properly take care of than synthetics, and doesn't do well wet. More expensive, too. So I'd bet on synthetic fill.

Speaking of washing alternative down comforters....I wanted to wash ours the other day and when I looked at the tag it said Dry Clean Only. Hmmmm... I took it to the cleaners, hoping to pay maybe $7.00 or something. HA! When he said it would be $39 I almost choked! (I haven't been to the dry cleaners since the '60s. :o Anyway, that was waaaay more than I was willing to pay. This is how much it cost on sale at Mervyn's dept. store! So, do you think I should just go ahead and try to wash it? We have another comforter just like it, so at least we'll still have one! Has anyone washed and dried baffled polyster fiber comforters and came out with good results? Not all lumpy and uneven?

Thanks to all who responded. That's one less thing I have to worry about. I will check when we board, but it makes sense that they would be an alternative filling so they can be washed.

KD

Archived