Vows Renewal Ceremony - Your experience please!

napunani

My love and I are considering the VOWS RENEWAL CEREMONY on our 2007 Baltic Sea cruise. We are curious - is it a private ceremony or is it a mass ceremony?? Also, do you get to select the date or is that selected by HAL?

YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS ARE GREATLY APPRECIATED. :)

I've never participated, but I can answer your questions based on what I've read here and what I've heard from other's with whom I've cruised.

The day/time is set by HAL. It's held in the evening between the dinner sittings. It's a group ceremony in that all the couples have the ceremony at the same time, but each couple renews vows individually.

I have read several recommendations on this board over the years---most praising it highly. There are some couples who have done the renewal of vows more than once. I have never read of anyone who regretted doing it.

As RuthC already said HAL decides the date and time of the renewal of vows ceremony and it is a group event.

I participated the event with DH when we were on our honeymoon on HAL. Also honeymooners are invited for this event - actually (at least on our cruise) the event was a joint renewal of vows and captains reception for honeymooners. For honeymooners the event was free...I'll discuss this a bit later.

From what I experienced all of the couples that attended the renewal of vows ceremony seemed very pleased with it so I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this event for anyone who would wish to renew their vows at sea. However you have to then be prepared that this is a group event - this might be an issue for you or not.

DH and I discussed already on our honeymoon that we wouldn't most likely want to renew our vows on a same kind of setting.

1. There were too many people attending the ceremony in our opinion (we had five couples on their honeymoon and four couples renewing their vows + their guests).

2. It seems unfair that the renewal of vows ceremony costs something for the couples as honeymooners attend the ceremony/reception for free. And yes - at least in our ceremony the captain also addressed us honeymoners giving a lovely individual speach to every honeymooning couple separately.

We did it on The Westerdam in December last year. The date and time was given to us when we boarded and there were about 6 other couples. The actual renewal was all done together in a big circle, after which they took some individual photos of each couple with the captain. As I understand, it depends on the captain as to whether he does the vows separately with each couple or as a group. It was very nice and I think worth the money. My only criticism would be that we were seated with another couple when we arrived for Champagne and canapes and had to make small talk for 20 mins - I would rather have just been with my husband at this point. (She was also wearing an enormous pink (meringue) wedding dress, which looked totally over the top!) However, we had a lovely dinner in the Pinnacle that night and a few days later, a lovely photo album with a copy of our vows was delivered to our Suite.

We did the ROV on the Oosterdam last April. We thought it was very nice.

From the descriptions that other have given, there appears to be some variation between ships or captains, in the way things are done. I think that some of this may be due to varying numbers or couples participating.

For ours, there were three couples renewing vows and no honeymooners. While all three couples were at the ceremony, each couple was done seperately. The captain came in, greeted everyone and then did a little ceremony for each couple in turn.

When we arrived, a few minutes early, there was a string quartet in the corner and a couple of waiters serving champaigne, hors d'ouvres, and juice for the non-drinkers.

After the captain presided over each couples vows, the photographers took several pictures or the couple with the captain. A couple of days later, they delivered the photos, along with a nice certificate and a photo album that is much nicer than the one sold in the photo shop.

We were told that the ceremony is scheduled at the captain's convenience. Ours was done on a port day, which surprised me a little. We spent the day at the beach in Mazatlan. Apparently, so did the captain (his family was travelling with him on this trip), as he made a joke that my wife didn't look the same with her clothes on, which of course, got a laugh. At least I think he was joking...

We were celebrating our thirtieth anniversary, as was another couple. The third couple was there for their sixtieth. They were delightful! We spent some time with them the next day, in Puerta Vallarta.

For the $129, we got the ceremony, the pictures, flowers and a bottle of wine in our cabin, dinner for two in the Pinnacle Grill, the pictures and the photo album. We thought that it was a very good deal and a memorable experience.

The captain on our cruise seemed to genuinely enjoy performing the ceremony, and he said so. I suppose that other captains might not have their hearts in it; this would greatly diminish the experience, I think.

Paul Noble

The Renewal of Vow ceremony was a beautiful and memorable experience for us. It took place on the exact day of our 50th anniversary; we had nothing to do with the choice of date. Additionally, it was the day of the Black and White ball. Most importantly, we had the very good fortune of traveling with the wonderful Cruise Critic group on the “Voyage of the Spammed“ to help us celebrate and they did. It was just simply joyful, exceeding any and all expectations we might have had and giving us the memory of a lifetime. I would travel with this group to the ends of the earth.

About six couples were participating in the ROV ceremony. Each couple had a private ceremony with the Captain. We had a piano playing, cake, champagne and we visited with one another after. At the end of the cruise, we received a large photo album with two pictures, one with the Captain. Each Captain has his own way of doing it and our Vows were as follows:

Renewal of Vows

I come once again before you

To Renew our vows of marriage

I promise to be strong in my love

Gentle in my care

And unwavering in my trust.

In the name of all we have created together

And all we are yet to become

I Offer you my hand,

As your partner, life time friend and companion.

I hope this helps you. I think it is very well done and I would recommend it to anyone that is interested.

Tija, that was just beautiful! I never knew the exact vows that are exchanged. Thank you so much for posting them.

May you and Patrick have many more years together looking as happy as you did that night.

My DH and I have renewed our vows on each of our three cruises together! Maybe THIS time it'll take -- just kidding. Each ceremony was a bit different -- though the vows were the same -- and each was lovely. The Captain was unhurried and charming, and it was a way to meet some other couples. We invited our tablemates to two of the ROVs, which cost us about $15 each. On Zaandam in September our two tablemates, who were rather shy and not outgoing, seemed to blossom at the ROV get-together, and we were glad we'd asked them to join us.

Another reason we opted for the ROV three times was the value. As npblepa described it, you get a lot for $129. Oops -- now they'll raise the fee; sorry.

Mrs Muir (four times and counting)

On our cruise in April, when we did the ROV, my sister, brother and their spouses were along. We haven't all been together for years.

When I told my brother that were going to do the ROV, and they were all invited as our guests, he said "I didn't know they expired". :)

Paul Noble

My parents celebrated their 35th anniversary with a Renewal of Vows on the Zuiderdam in September. There were about 6 couples who were renewing their vows and it was done as a group ceremony. The date and time was picked by the captain and it was actually done at 1030 a.m. on a port day, which was a little odd. My sister, brother in law, nephew, grandmother, aunt and uncle were all on board as well and attended as guests. There was a string quarter playing and champagne and hor doerves served as well. My parents received a photo album, certificate with vows, flowers, champagne and dinner for two in the Pinnacle. It was a very nice ceremony and the captain was very sweet.

It was well worth the money and I was happy to celebrate with my parents.

Ver nice ceremony. Have done it several times. From alone to three couples renewed. Captain sets he time. Most of ours have been on Formal night wnd we ate in the Pinnacle afterwards.

Check out ou webshos (link below). This was the time I surprised Ruth. She thought she was going to a birthday party.

Jim & Ruth

We did it for our 10th back in 2001 onboard Veendam (just celebrated #15 last week). There was a rather large group of maybe 10-12 couples ranging from 10th (us & 1 other) up to I think 65th!! Only 1 or 2 couples had a few guests there, which cost maybe $15 each. We were invited to sit anywhere.

It was held on the 2nd formal night, which I think we were told it would be at the beginning of the cruise. I think at that time it cost less than $50 because dinner at Pinnacle didn't exist - we just got the ceremony, the champagne, & some photos with album.

We were glad that the Capt. started with us youngun's because by the time he finished with the last couple, we'd heard the same vows a dozen times already.

A good friend at the time could not believe that John & I would do an ROV without any friends & family present. :eek: We thought why not? It was just for us. She just couldn't get her head wrapped around it. We saw it as running away from family to do something just for ourselves.

Since this year was another "five" & January is a sort-of belated anniversary for us, we're debating whether or not to do it again. :rolleyes:

The day/time is set by HAL. It's held in the evening between the dinner sittings. It's a group ceremony in that all the couples have the ceremony at the same time, but each couple renews vows individually. [/font]

If the ship is doing a Caribbean itinerary, and Half Moon Cay is one of the stops, isn't the vow renewal ceremony done in that little Bahamian church there?

Blue skies ...

--rita

If the ship is doing a Caribbean itinerary, and Half Moon Cay is one of the stops, isn't the vow renewal ceremony done in that little Bahamian church there?

Blue skies ...

--rita

Wasn't an option on our Westerdam cruise. It was done in the evening on the Thursday night in a lovely room with a fire place, which was called the Oak Room, I think or something like this. I have heard about it being held at Half Moon Cay - but it's a bit risky as they don't always manage a stop there.

Our ROV was on the Rotterdam on a formal night in the Crow's Nest in 2004 for our 25th. The cruise director Susan Wood and her staff worked with us on the particulars. We were one of 5 couples and we had invited our adult son and a couple of friends to help us celebrate. Invitations to guests were sent, corsage, boutonnaire, and flowers were provided as well as a champagne reception. Each couples' vows were done separately, and a boxed album with certificate and pictures were delivered to our cabin 2 days later. The ceremony was held between dinner seatings but the PG dinner was not part of the package at that time. It was very nicely done and we would do it again.

GN

Wasn't an option on our Westerdam cruise. It was done in the evening on the Thursday night in a lovely room with a fire place, which was called the Oak Room, I think or something like this. I have heard about it being held at Half Moon Cay - but it's a bit risky as they don't always manage a stop there.

Surprising.

I would have thought that was pretty much the purpose of that little church ... vow renewals and maybe weddings ... though I have to admit, I've never seen one taking place on my visits to the island.

Blue skies ...

--rita

OK this is just a vague memory here - someone on this board - I think it might even be Ziggy - has done the ROV at that chapel at HMC. I think she wrote that it was private, meaning not a group thing? Maybe it's more like renting a hall & you have to do more coordinating with the ship's social hostess or something?

Of course if the ship cancels HMC you're out of luck. And somehow I don't think the captain would necessarily do it.

Ziggy, was it you?

Archived