Cruised with any rude passengers lately?

missygirl

Where would you have had them move?:confused: Would you move on if another group wanted the space you were enjoying in an otherwise full public room?

I kinda second that, I think I might have dug my heels in and refused to move also, if the Crows Nest was that full, why the hec should they move because you came after them. HELLO another example of demanding, rude people. As if CCs have some sort of priority, why didn't you go play in someones cabin? :confused:

To my mind the rude one here was the man who wouldn't shut up and let the woman hear the guide's narration that she wanted (and was entitled) to hear.

It wasn't that he didn't shut up and he was quite when the driver was talking. He was just being fun and only the back of the bus was really hearing him and she just wanted to be an old biddy. Where she was sitting she couldn't have heard much, she was toward the front. Some people just are unhappy and like to spread it around. Honestly it seemed that we run into her every day after that and she always had that pinched, sour face going on.:mad:

On our first sea day we went to the Crow's Nest with several of our CC group to play trivia. The cruise staff directed us to one section of the Crow's nest. There was a couple sitting at a small table in front of an empty sofa. We asked if they might move to another part of the room so our group of six could sit there for the trivia game. The woman refused. As all the other sofas and chairs were taken, we asked again and assured that we'd give them back their space as soon as the game ended. Again, the woman refused. The man looked like he didn't dare do anything different.

Asking seated people to move seems to be pushing it in my book. I wonder the outcome, iif you had asked them to join in the game.

I kinda second that, I think I might have dug my heels in and refused to move also, if the Crows Nest was that full, why the hec should they move because you came after them. HELLO another example of demanding, rude people. As if CCs have some sort of priority, why didn't you go play in someones cabin? :confused:

Asking seated people to move seems to be pushing it in my book. I wonder the outcome, iif you had asked them to join in the game.

... rather than a bit of a bully

Didn't either of you read RuthC's explanation in post #23 at 7:00? The Crow's Nest was NOT full. IMHO the "sitters" were a bit dense! :D

Kate -

I just went to look for where I read it....it was in fact another post by you on the Oosterdam repair saga boards....now I feel a little silly:(

Regardless....I hope everything works out for the two of you. I have been there so I feel your misery.

That's not quite a full picture of what happened; I was on that team.

We were all sitting at various tables around the Crow's Nest when the crew staff leading the game asked us all to move to one smaller area of the lounge. It was only when we moved that there were no places left in the designated area.

The entire port side and forward area of the lounge were free.

That couple were agreeable to us sitting in the free chairs---they just didn't want any noise. OK, there were many, many teams---there was going to be noise whether or not we stayed there.

No, they were the rude ones for demanding to stay in an area where a game was going to go on (regardless of whether or not we sat at the same table) and being put-out about us (the greater "us") swooping in.

So let me get this straight. Because there were more of you than the number of people who got to the public area first, you have the greater claim? And HAL couldn't be bothered to put up signs warning the general public that an event was to be held in this area at a certain time? And your desire to all sit together supersedes their desire to sit and read unmolested? Charming.

OOps, I guess I should have been clearer about the scenario I described back in my original post which RuthC tried to further clarify. This area of the Crow's nest was basically empty at ten o'clock in the morning, except for these two people and was spacious enough to allow for several trivia teams.

There was more than adequate, similar comfortable seating only a few steps away, on the same side of the Crow's nest but a bit further forward to which this couple could have moved. Everything would have been the same for them, except that they would not have been in the middle of a trivia game.

The game was being explained to the group by the Cruise Staff so these two people were very aware that it was a scheduled event. The two chairs they clung to were toward the middle of the floor, with the trivia teams ranged around them. If they wanted peace and quiet to read, it would have made sense to move.

First - If someone is making comments and causing others to laugh and carry on while a tour leader is talking and it causes me to not hear the tour leader clearly, and I ask them to please be quiet, I am not being a sourpuss or rude or impolite. It is in fact the inconsiderate blog making the comments and preventing paying passengers from enjoying the excursion they paid for that is the rude passenger. There is a time and place for everything.

For the trivia game situation - it was indeed the CD's staff responsiblility to let the couple know what was about to desend on them and not the passenger's responsibility. That said - I still think it would be more polite of the group to have left this couple alone in an island of empty seats and found another spot to gather a few seats away.

OOps, I guess I should have been clearer about the scenario I described back in my original post which RuthC tried to further clarify. This area of the Crow's nest was basically empty at ten o'clock in the morning, except for these two people and was spacious enough to allow for several trivia teams.

There was more than adequate, similar comfortable seating only a few steps away, on the same side of the Crow's nest but a bit further forward to which this couple could have moved. Everything would have been the same for them, except that they would not have been in the middle of a trivia game.

The game was being explained to the group by the Cruise Staff so these two people were very aware that it was a scheduled event. The two chairs they clung to were toward the middle of the floor, with the trivia teams ranged around them. If they wanted peace and quiet to read, it would have made sense to move.

I found them on the whole rather immature and self-centred, they should never have let that stituation arise, they should have nipped it in the bud, I still feel really sorry for the innocent people that got caught up in the middle of it. While on the Statendam for quite a long time I never warmed to the cruise staff for all these reasons, they did not show a lot of respect to other passengers, just fired on with their own thing for what was most times a small majority. Like playing very stupid games on deck six in the atrium with no respect for the passengers in the cabins nearby whatsoever. Very, very rude!!!!!!!!!!!

Didn't either of you read RuthC's explanation in post #23 at 7:00? The Crow's Nest was NOT full. IMHO the "sitters" were a bit dense! :D

If the CN was not full, it makes no sense why the group did not move on to another area. Or if the CD needed all the trivia groups in proxcimity, he/she might have asked them to join in or offered to fetch them some cool drinks and the good nuts, at that table....over there.

In the people watching department I find that its the rude people that really are the best to watch. The havoc that they create, the crazy requests that they dream up, and the shear audasity of their claims really add to the day.We have seen it all from dinner issues, the port is not on the side my room, the sun is to bright, the towels are to soft, the towels are to rough, to who knows what else....We always make sure to reassure and talk with the crew member who was caught up in the mess, and to leave them our name in case they need it latter. On several occasions we were contacted by senior staff to find out if we could enlighten the situation.Oddly enough we seem to find the greatest concentration of these problems around food (Lido Buffet) and the pool area. I don't eat at the buffet but I will often take after dinner or lunch coffee in the Lido area just to watch the antics. The pool area seems to have a non published set of rules that if you claim a chair sometime during the cruise then it is yours forever. This single rule is the best for creating these issues.

Kate,

Just a theory. Could her injuries have been attributed to simple Karma? The Lord moves in many mysterious ways!!!

I believe that a vacation is a great way to seperate the chaff from the wheat when it comes down to true friendship!!!!

In the people watching department I find that its the rude people that really are the best to watch. The havoc that they create, the crazy requests that they dream up, and the shear audasity of their claims really add to the day.We have seen it all from dinner issues, the port is not on the side my room, the sun is to bright, the towels are to soft, the towels are to rough, to who knows what else....We always make sure to reassure and talk with the crew member who was caught up in the mess, and to leave them our name in case they need it latter. On several occasions we were contacted by senior staff to find out if we could enlighten the situation.Oddly enough we seem to find the greatest concentration of these problems around food (Lido Buffet) and the pool area. I don't eat at the buffet but I will often take after dinner or lunch coffee in the Lido area just to watch the antics. The pool area seems to have a non published set of rules that if you claim a chair sometime during the cruise then it is yours forever. This single rule is the best for creating these issues.

Not to mention the laundry :confused:

Whenever we find the complainers and whiners I always tell them "You know. we had a similar problem and I simply went down to the front desk and complained and not only did they take care of the issue but they gave us a voucher good for 2 free shore excursions and a $50 onboard credit. I'm really pleased with how responsive the staff was!!"

Probably doesn't endear me to the front desk staff, but I chuckle all day long thinking about how I've added to the complainer's frustration when they don't get similar treatment.

I'm fairly new to CC and very new to the HAL boards, but I am noticing on the HAL board that there appears to be a few people that feel that because they have sailed on HAL for a long time or because they have thousands of posts that they OWN the boards and the ships. I for some reason or other have not found this to be true on boards for any of the other lines.

COME ON........this post is about rude cruisers. Look at yourselves and stop being what you are complaining about. I will be going on my first HAL cruise and do hope that I only meet up with the kinder HAL cruisers

... I always tell them "You know. we had a similar problem and I simply went down to the front desk and complained and not only did they take care of the issue but they gave us a voucher good for 2 free shore excursions and a $50 onboard credit ...
You are sooooo bad! :D

(I

... I always tell them "You know. we had a similar problem and I simply went down to the front desk and complained and not only did they take care of the issue but they gave us a voucher good for 2 free shore excursions and a $50 onboard credit ...
You are sooooo bad! :D

(I like

I absolutely, positively clicked Submit Reply only one time. The screen sat there a while then gave me the message that you must wait at least 30 seconds between posts! :confused: The board then posted it twice without completing the post in its entirety. So double-posts are not always "our" fault.

I absolutely, positively clicked Submit Reply only one time. The screen sat there a while then gave me the message that you must wait at least 30 seconds between posts! :confused: The board then posted it twice without completing the post in its entirety. So double-posts are not always "our" fault.

Suuuuuure, Jim! :D

I'm fairly new to CC and very new to the HAL boards, but I am noticing on the HAL board that there appears to be a few people that feel that because they have sailed on HAL for a long time or because they have thousands of posts that they OWN the boards and the ships. I for some reason or other have not found this to be true on boards for any of the other lines.

COME ON........this post is about rude cruisers. Look at yourselves and stop being what you are complaining about. I will be going on my first HAL cruise and do hope that I only meet up with the kinder HAL cruisers

And here I thought it was only me that felt like this. I try and take those folks with a grain of salt and move on but sometimes it gets to be to much and I must speak out.

I really do hope you enjoy your cruise and have a wonderful time :)

Whenever we find the complainers and whiners I always tell them "You know. we had a similar problem and I simply went down to the front desk and complained and not only did they take care of the issue but they gave us a voucher good for 2 free shore excursions and a $50 onboard credit. I'm really pleased with how responsive the staff was!!"

I know you meant this as a joke, but there is some truth to what you say.

After thirty five years of being a manager, I found out a little secret to getting things done. Simply never, never ever order or demand anything that you can ask for.

If there is a problem and you can get the info to the folks that know how to fix it, just give them a please and a thank you, and they will give you the whole dam ship!!!! You will get a heck of a lot more service with a well deserved compliment than you will ever get with a threat or a demand or a bribe.

This thread is about ready to run out. Yes, we have run into a few who were less than courteous. But for every rude person, we found hundreds of friendly, intelligent, interesting, wonderful fun loving people. These are people who are out to enjoy a vacation, they are not looking for any more dragons to slay.

We are all grownups here; everyone paid for his or her own cruise. What you want to spend your time concentrating on is up to you. Given a choice between listening somebody gripe about the food, and a chance to get a waffle hot off the iron, well, I think you know where we are headed.:o

Archived