Anyone heard of "Passion Island"?

Donna42

Our ship will be in Coz on December 19. We were originally scheduled to go there, switched to Costa Maya, then switched back to Coz this weekend.

Our pre-Wilma plan was to go to Passion Island. RCL says the Passion Island excursion is on, but they don't have info on the Island's condition. They said it did "meet standards" for the excursion to take place, whatever that means.

Any updated on the condition of Passion Island would be greatly appreciated!

I have just spoken with a friend who is a guide there. Yes they were hit pretty bad, but their construction is very basic palapa style, very easy and quick to rebuild. The bathrooms are intact, except for the roof which is replaced. Of the 4 large restaurant seating areas, only one is operating, their beach actually got a little longer and alot taller, they had to dig out the grass huts as the level of sand was raised by 3-5 feet in some parts. The groups that are going are indeed small, I assume this is because misinformed people have been erroneously saying that there was nothing left and that they would reopen sometime next year, which of course is totally false. Sometimes when things like this happen it is just too easy for some to try to direct people somewhere else by saying things that aren't true, specially if people trust and believe thier information most of the time.

I managed the Passion Island tour several year ago, it is without a doubt one of the most beautiful places in Cozumel, even with the storm it will still be so, in fact one of the attraction of Passion Island is that it has always been a very natural looking and secluded place, far away from the taxis, roads, and other hustle and bustle of the beach club strip in the south. This aspect of course remains unchanged.

Go, I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Playa Mia & Paradise Beach (not Paradise Island that's in Bahamas) are beach clubs in the south part of the island, these are public places where anyone can go spend the day, of ocurse they are privately owned, but opened to the public at large. Passion Island is privately owned and very hard to get to unless you go on the cruise sold tour, it is a remote and secluded destination. The nice thing about the beach clubs is that you can come and go at your leisure, where at Passion Island you go on the tour and you are there until the tour brings you back. There's a huge thread here about Paraside Beach and you can get more info there, if I'm not mistaken Paradise Beach is owned by the same people that own Fury Catamarans, Paradise Beach Tom is a heck of nice guy and deserves every bit of praise he get on this board. Playa Mia is owned by Aviomar, the same company that owns the blue & white ferries, the sole agent for all cruise lines, and I would guess 80% of all cruise sold tours, that's why many cruise tours end up at Playa Mia for their beach break, Aviomar is the main player in Cozumel when it comes to cruise ships.

I'm sure you will enjoy whatever you choose, Cozumel is gettign back on it's feet and everyone here is pulling together to get back to normal, whichever beach you end up at i'm sure you'll be rewarded with hige smiles and great service.

ENJOY COZUMEL!!

• 3 weeks later...

We just visited Passion Island Thursday 12/22/2005. We loved it, maybe too much and seem to have left something on the island. Is there a "Lost and found" and if so, how would I contact someone in regards to lost items?

===================================================

Hola Cubsr#1 - my suggestion for your mom in law would not be the beach buggy. It is VERY rough...those buggies fly! Sounds like you are looking for something alittle more low stress. I would love the idea of you all coming over to Passion Island. But also your idea of shopping and Paradise Beach is a great one too. You will have a great time in Cozumel regardless of what you do!

BabyJosie - please let me know when you are coming in January. I will try and make sure that I look for you.

Riversidekid, can you tell us more about Passion Beach? We are thinking of going there. We prefer to go somewhere that is not so crowded. How did you get there? We are planning on doing our own thing. Can you take a cab and how much time to get back and forth. Any other info would be appreciated.

Thanks............Paul

Passion Island is now being booked as Private Beach Break though most of the cruiselines. It really isn´t an island but rather a penisula seperated from the north end of Cozumel island by mangroves. You can not get there on your own...only through a ship sponsored tour.

And sorry, there is no lost and found there. If they find something in time, it is returned to the ship.

We were there with a shore excursion with Royal Caribbean's Voyager of the Seas. That day alone there were two Royal Caribbean ships and two Carnival ships and one Princess ship. There were other people there with all of those other cruise lines. How would they know which ship to return items to? I've called Royal Caribbean, but they tell me I must contact someone at the island for help, as they do not get items back from the island. There must be someone who works on the island who could help?

Passion Island is now being booked as Private Beach Break though most of the cruiselines. It really isn´t an island but rather a penisula seperated from the north end of Cozumel island by mangroves. You can not get there on your own...only through a ship sponsored tour.

And sorry, there is no lost and found there. If they find something in time, it is returned to the ship.

We were there with a shore excursion with Royal Caribbean's Voyager of the Seas. That day alone there were two Royal Caribbean ships and two Carnival ships and one Princess ship. There were other people there with all of those other cruise lines. How would they know which ship to return items to? I've called Royal Caribbean, but they tell me I must contact someone at the island for help, as they do not get items back from the island. There must be someone who works on the island who could help?

They're really not set up for customer service by phone, so the person that answers will probably not speak much English, but ask to speak to a manager, you might get lucky: 011-52-987-872-5858

During our stay, we ventured out a bit further than most to gain some pictures of the wildlife on the island. Our adventurous nature and a good zoom lense got us some pretty good shots.

I didn't notice anything flying in the air except the birds. The birds seemed used to people around as they let us get very close for pictures. We were only there one day, but in the entire five hours we did not notice a single fly on the island.

I recently read a post on the Princess boards that tons of flies on Passion Island were really bothersome and unsanitary. Has anyone been recently and seen this problem?

We have been to Passion Island 3 times and I don't believe we will return.

The last trip my wife was bitten by the sand flies. Her skin broke out as if she had chicken pox. We went to the ships doctor and she received a shot and they did some blood work. She had to stay out of the sun for two days and we missed a partial trip throught the Panama Canal.

I think it is important to get travelers insurance. We did and was reimbursed

the $400.00 it cost for the onboard doctor visit. We really like Passion Island

and we we will have to think seriously about returning. We got the insurance

through a private company and it was cheaper that the cruise line.

We were on Passion Island on December 19 and found the excursion to be wonderful. Our tour-guide Alex was one of the best we've ever had. He knew every person's name and took good care of us the entire time. I almost cancelled this excursion because of a recent review I had read, but I'm glad I didn't because we did not find any of the problems that were encountered by the previous poster. I'm sure the people at Passion Island have been working hard to take care of all of those concerns.

The beach did sustain significant damage to many of the buildings. They are not able to run at the previous capacity, but are only taking the numbers that they can comfortably accomodate. It was not crowded at all. We did not encounter a single fly and the restrooms were spotless with an attendant manning them at all times to see that they were kept that way.

The drinks flowed freely and the food was definitely adequate. We were transported on a comfortable air-conditioned bus and then a small boat. The road was bumpy, but not uncomfortable and Alex kept us entertained during the ride.

Our family thoroughly enjoyed our day at Passion Island. They could use all of the support they can get to get the entire Island up and running again. They have been working hard to get back to normal and have apparently made much progress in the past few weeks. They certainly get an A+ for effort.

That is good to hear, I used to work with that company, and have alway thought Passion Island is one of the most beautiful places in Cozumel. I'm glad you had a positive experience, and I agree Alex is great, by far one of the nicest and most personable guides I have had the pleasure of working with.

Saw this tour offered by Carnival.. actually sounded fun. Anyone ever done this ??

spacer.gifCZM24B.jpgEscape to a private island beach paradise for a day of fun in the sun.

On this excursion you will:

• Take a short ride from the ship to Bahia Ciega Pier.
  • Cross over to Passion Island by motorized tender.
  • Stroll along Passion Island’s white sand beaches.
  • Play beach volleyball, lie on the beach or an ocean float or swing in a hammock.
  • Enjoy a traditional Mexican grilled lunch as well as an open bar.

Isla de Pasion [Passion Island], is located on the North Side of the Island of Cozumel. Just North of Cozumel[city] the road ends, thats where you pick up the boat over to it. Not very far from the mainland at all.

Cheers,

Lex

Archived