Anyone heard of "Passion Island"?

Donna42

Just returned (2 days ago) from Carnival Holiday. They offered Passion Island for $75.00 per person. Since there were four of us (husband and 2 kids) we just didn't want to spend that. Just paid $200 the day before to go to Xel-ha. We docked at 8:00 a.m. and had to be back on boat at 3:30. Believe it or not, people at info desk on ship had never heard of Paradise Beach!! We got a taxi and ended up at Nachi Cocom. It was just down the road from Paradise Beach and San Francisco Beach. Very uncrowded but I did miss the drinks in a pineapple that they offer at Paradise.

Up until recently I had friends who worked at both, so I never weighed in on a question like this. I still have the friends, but one is no longer working at Passion Island. Now, let me be clear, I have never been to Passion Island. However, at a minimum $69 per person, this tour has always felt rather expensive to me. Let's run through an example:

One couple pays at least $138 to go to Passion Island. They go when they're told, they return when they are told. The food is buffet style with limited choices. Beach lounges are the hard plastic curvy kind, non-adjustable. No snorkeling.

Another couple goes to Paradise Beach. For argument's sake let's say they dock at Punta Langosta, the dock furthest from PB. They pay $13 in cab fare. They go when they're ready, be it 7am or 2pm. They each drink 5 foo-foo drinks at $6.50 each, plus $5 each to use all the water toys: floating mats, sea kayaks, iceberg climb and water trampoline. Amazingly comfortable beach lounges with quality umbrellas are free of charge. Snorkeling is limited but present. While there, they order a plate of nachos supreme (and they ARE supreme) to snack on ($8), then dine on Shrimp Scampi ($18) and a grilled 14 oz certified Black Angus rib eye ($24). When they feel like it, they take a cab back to the ship for another $13. The total including the most expensive drinks and meals, comes to $151.

A more typical couple goes to PB, has a couple of buckets of beer (price not listed, I'm guessing $12 each bucket?), a certified Black Angus half pound burger with melted american cheddar cheese ($10) and a fish sandwich with spiced grilled fish of the day ($9). Including water toys and round trip cab fare, their total comes to $79.

When you figure kids into the mix, Passion Island becomes an even more expensive option.

Just my 2 cents, or $151 worth :)

Thanks Ginag! Would have loved to have met another wonderful C.C. poster. Hopefully I can still meet lots of you folks...I just will be on the pier with another tour company. Or relaxing at Paradise Beach. Which is where I am going now! I just love hanging out on that lovely stretch of sand, sipping a cold beverage from a bucket, soaking up those hot Cozumel rays, ahhhhh. Tom is a wonderful host.

Sally, you answered my question and helped me to decide! Thank-you!!! We'll be in Cozumel 11/3, and are looking foward to meeting you, Tom and the rest of the crew at Paradise Beach! It sounds so wonderful!

There will be four of us. My DH and I, and my best friend and her DH. This will be our second time to Cozumel and their first, and I want it to be a memorable one for them!!

Paradise Beach, HERE WE COME!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks Sally for putting things down in plain English (for us non-Mexicans) about the difference in pricing. This was what I was hoping someone would do. We have been to Passion Island, and loved it, but Paradise Beach sounds MUCH better...not to mention easier on the purse strings. I look forward to seeing you and Tom when we arrive there in Dec. And of course, I have to request that pineapples be saved for us too. This message would be out of place without it...haha

I would love to meet both groups, cmez and Trvlnround, but I don't work at Paradise Beach. I get out there about once a month by bugging Tom for a lift. It's a LONG bicycle ride. That's right folks, no car. Ahhhhh, this is the life!

I promote Paradise Beach on this board because they make me look good. I know that if someone goes there on my recommendation, 99 times out of 100, they will have a great time. (There's just no pleasing some folks!) Then they say, "That Sally, she really knows what she's talking about when it comes to Cozumel!" Then they listen to me when I tell them NOT to rent scooters in Cozumel. Another life saved. This makes me happy. So, yes, I get something out of it when I recommend Paradise Beach. The logic is a bit convoluted, but you get the drift, right???

Sue, cab fare from Paradise Beach to my place should be $13-15. Once you're at my place, the downtown shopping area is just a few blocks away.

The angry smiley was for Tom, not you, Su.

Trvlnround: I'll give it a try. Hopefully I'll be waaaay too busy by then to make it to the beach. Thanks for the invite!

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Welllll, keep those memories because Passion Island did not fare well at all. I went out there about 10 days ago and there isn´t much left. The buildings are gone and a vast majority of the trees are damaged. The "owner" says that he will not rebuild. But...things have a way of changing around here so sometime in the future he might change his mind. All of the guys are out of a job as of this time though.

Caro...that's sad news. Although, I was not planning to go back to PI, it was a beautiful, relaxing place to go. Paradise Beach is just as beautiful and much more convenient; not to mention the friendly service!!! We are sailing on the 12/17/05 Disney Magic.(still a secret from our 4 children since May 2004) There will be 9 other family members in addition to our family of 6!!! We plan on spending the day at Paradise Beach if Disney sticks with the present itinerary!!! What do you think the chances of that are?

The people of Cozumel are working so hard to get back to normal, at least as much as possible. What a great example for the rest of us!!!:)

Carol

Carol...

Paradise Beach is a better choice anyway in my opinion for kids. Although I loved Passion Island (I am a former employee there), there just wasn´t much for kiddos to do. I have not heard from Disney about changes so I can´t help with your itinerary question. But on behalf of the entire island...we hope to see you all very soon!

OH no. :(

I sort of thought that would be the case with Passion Island but am SO sad to hear it confirmed.

We actually LOVED it there, so did my 12-year-old, it was SO quiet and peaceful on our early September trip. We didn't want or NEED a lot of activity, in fact, we wanted to get away from it. Passion Island was perfect for that.

We also thought VERY highly of our guide on the bus that brought us there, and who led activities there...I hope he's doing okay. :(

Ok...the latest word about Passion Island. They are going to TRY to rebuild and reopen by next Spring. All of the palapas were severely damaged and there are no kitchen facilities. The vegetation was also badly damaged. The beach has alot of erosion. The "owner" fired most of the staff yesterday...including the guides. So, not sure what his thinking is. I will update when I hear something.

Hi Caro

Can you tell me how Paradise Beach really faired after Wilma??

Is there any vegetation left on the beach?

I am thinking of renting a sail boat and stay on the water.Ian paints a very optimistic picture ....how is it really!!! I am sadden to hear the condition of Passion Island.I was hoping to go there this December

gc

Hi Caro

Can you tell me how Paradise Beach really faired after Wilma??

Is there any vegetation left on the beach?

I am thinking of renting a sail boat and stay on the water.Ian paints a very optimistic picture ....how is it really!!! I am sadden to hear the condition of Passion Island.I was hoping to go there this December

gc

I went by there yesterday afternoon...there were alot of new palm trees and the damaged structures have been torn down. I know they have some high tech, fancy restrooms coming! Have heard they are nicer than the ones they used to have...and I thought those were fabulous. To be honest, I have not been out on the beach side but have seen pictures. They look ok. Peter has a great crew out there cleaning all the time. I spoke to him early this morning and he said things were going very well out there.

Archived