Anyone heard of "Passion Island"?

Donna42

This is our first cruise and we were planning to go on an excursion offered by Royal Caribbean called, "Passion Island Escape" for $69.00 for a 5 hour excursion (lunch included) I have not seen it mentioned on the board at all and wondered if anyone knows anything about it. If you want to read about it, go to www.royalcaribbean.com and look under excursions on the bottom of the page. Thanks in advance for any help. Donna :)

Donna

I visited Passion Island not quite a year ago. My wife and sister were along, we each agreed it was a highlight of our trip thru CCL.

The journey began with a bus ride, followed by a short ferry from the main island to Passion Island. Our guide made the travel time very enjoyable with facts and fiction about Cozumel.

There were 2 groups on the part of the island we were visiting. Each with different arrival & departure times, but overlapping schedules. There was plenty of room to relax and play, without any annoyance. The beach itself is one of the prettiest I have ever seen. The water that day was crystal clear. I do not recall any vegetation underfoot in the water, but snorkeling results in seeing a lot of sand and shells..very few fish. Combine beautiful sunshine, passion punch and a great lunch.. it was a very memorable excursion.

Many participated in some games sponsored by the tour guides including sand volleyball and a great balloon tossing contest between couples. There were beach chairs, hammocks and a beautiful view. There are even a few huts on the island housing some local merchants. They do not bother you on the beach. Obviously, once you make your way to their area.. you will find them "interested" in your visit to their "store".

The excursion was so much fun that we are strongly considering doing it all again in September when we return to Cozumel on the Carnival Conquest.

Tom, Thank you so much for taking the time to write back. You wrote such a professional narrative on your excursion to Passion Island. I'm impressed. It sounds great. My husband & I decided since Cozumel is our last port, we will most likely be exhausted and just want to relax and not run around all day. I'm excited now and will book the excursion soon. Thanks again, btw, we will be there in Sept. too, hope the weather is good.

I have a question-

I've read that people can take a canoe/kayak to passion island.

Do you need to get the excursion package through the ship, or can you just DRIVE a rented-vehicle to the beach, and rent the kayak on the spot?

nick

I can tell you that indeed once you reach the point to ferry to Passion Island, you do have the choice of travel by canoe (not sure about kayak). I cannot answer the question about providing your own transportation to that point and obtaining admission to the island. I'll be curious to hear the answer though.

I have a question-

I've read that people can take a canoe/kayak to passion island.

Do you need to get the excursion package through the ship, or can you just DRIVE a rented-vehicle to the beach, and rent the kayak on the spot?

nick

I believe I have been told that you can only get to Passion Island with a package tour. Some natives of Cozumel might be able to go by boat but the island is used exclusively for tours.

I've been there twice. I went once before it became an excursion island only and once from a cruise ship. Would go again in a heartbeat. ;)

Judy

• 2 weeks later...

Donna - we took the Passion Island Escape on RCI last Sept - we loved it and I agree with Tom Terrific - one of the prettiest beaches we have ever seen - we were told the corona beer commercial that was playing last year where the guy threw his pager into the water was filed there (not sure if true or not) but the beach is exactly like the commercial - we spent over an hour just laying in the hammocks enjoying the view of the beautiful ocean.

the lunch is not traditional tex-mex food like we are used to but was very good - margaritas and beer were available at the beach bar - I don't remember what else they served -

only downsides to this excursion was the actual time on beach was about 2 1/2 hrs - we could have stayed all day - and no fresh water showers to clean off the sand and salt - we would have no hesitation in doing this tour again -

Kathy

Donna - I have the absolute pleasure of working on Passion Island. So hopefully I can answer some parts of your question that haven't been covered.

The tour is 5 hours long. It starts off with an air conditioned bus ride to Bahia Ciaga (15 miles north of your pier). The bus ride is approx. 45 minutes. Your guide will give you a tour of Cozumel, history of the island and info about your day on PI. The boat ride across the bay is approx. 15 minutes. You have the option to take a canoe but no one ever does since it is usually into a head wind and about a mile out to the island. Once you get to the island, you have a full 3 hours of beach time.

Included in the tour is a full Mexican buffet with: grilled mahi mahi fish, mayan barbque chicken, rice, salad, fresh veggies and tropical fruit, GREAT guacamole, real tortilla chips, pico de gallo salsa, habanero salsa and bread. Soft drinks include: Pepsi, Pepsi light, 7 up, Squirt and Orange. The water is purified, bottled and regulated by law. The ice is also. BOTH ARE 100% SAFE!!!!!! Open bar is also included: margaritas, Corona beer, tequilla, tequilla sunrise, passion island punch, rum, rum punch, and sex on the beach.

Activities on the beach include: vollyball, soccer, and a variety of fun ones including our infamous water balloon toss contest. There is no reef system and we don't rest snorkle gear but there are a variety of marine life there. Saw barracuda and spotted eagle ray a couple of weeks ago. NO portagese man of war or cabbage heads here! The island is gorgous to say the least. The beach has a gentle slope with no sharp rocks or pieces of coral to hurt your feet. We have nice restrooms, 4 different hammock areas, beach chairs and a seemingly endless supply of jaw dropping beautiful white sand beach. We do have showers but they are 50% salt water so you don't get super clean but do get the sand off. We have a variety of birds: rosette spoonbills, wood ducks, vultures, frigits or hangers, pelicans, swallows, flamingos during certain times of year, just to name a few.

There is no blaring music only music in the palapa restaraunt. We do have a small shopping area that offers t-shirts, silver, jewelry and other tourist type items. Also have a hair braiding and wrap area, temporary henna tattoos and massage area.

The kayaking is a seperate package. You get to Bahia Ciaga by bus and take a small boat to the kayaks. You kayak through the mangrove area for approx. 45 minutes and stay on the beach for about 2 - 2 1/2 hours. All other facilities are offered except that it is a cash bar. Same goes for the jeep tour. They do some driving through the jungle along the way and have about 3 hours of beach time also. The island itself is privately owned and is a small cresent moon shaped piece of heaven! The tours leave at different times from the piers and the tours overlap. It never seems crowded on the beach or in the palapas. Locals can go but do pay the same price and it is on an availability basis depending on the crowd already on the island.

Hope this helps and make sure you stop by and say HI! I am usually down at the end of the pier holding a sign before the tours. It is easy to spot me...I am the only girl in the company!

:) solita...thanks so much for this information on Passion Island. We had planned to take this excursion on our last trip to Cozumel, but was cancelled :( due to yucky weather the day we were in port. Hopefully, for our trip back in December the weather will cooperate this time. Can't wait!:)

~gina~:)

for the great review and information. We are scheduled to be in Cozumel in mid September and have already booked the Passion Island excursion but I couldn't find too much information about it. I have been looking for a website but I have not found one yet. Could you suggest one?

Gracias y le veremos pronto! :D

Solita - Are there any private tour companies one can book through, or is this excursion exclusive to the cruise passengers? If there are private tours operatiors, would you know the cost per person and do they offer the same amenities as what you described?

Thanks for the info.!

but I did not think Passion Island was worth the excursion price. The water and beach were beautiful and the buffet was good, but I would highly recommend Paradise Beach instead. Neither my traveling companion nor I enjoyed it $69pp worth. I would say that we spent $100 total going to Paradise Beach and thought it was much better.

ginag...See you in December! Please look for me at the pier.

pezel...September is almost here! The countdown is ticking down quickly. Will check with boss about website update for you.

boo's mom...there are several all inclusives that are nice and offer day passes - Presidente, Occidental (sp?) and Melia are just a few. Prices vary but are in the range of $60-100 I believe.

mfinn...Passion Island is just available for cruisers (Carnival, Celebrity, Princess and Royal Carib right now...others in high season). You can't get there any other way. Now, back in the olden days it was another story.

bigmacfan...I understand that our tour will not fit the needs and desires of everyone but I do hope that you had alittle fun and enjoyed at least part of your day on Passion Island. It is a beautiful place isn't it?

Well...it's off to work!

I've booked myself and my teens for a great escape. Believe it or not, when given the choice of beach options, they chose the quieter Passion Island, both mentioning the allure of hammocks. (I can't believe my ears! ..but YAY!) So, just to be knowing what we're in for, is there a spot where three hammocks are within talking distance, or are they scattered as singles? and are they proximate to the water for a quick dip and view?

Thanks in advance for all the great info; I haven't moved a muscle before reading up here since I found it two years ago!

Home by 3, but taking it on the road til 3am!

The 4 hammock areas are all set-up for easy talking. Three are in a sunray shape and one is in a row. Two are set back in the trees and the other 2 are along the beach under semi-shade. You've got to make sure you say hi to me when you dock!

3 of my favorite things (and an ice cold Corona might be nice to add to the list)! It was absolutely gorgous there today. Met some super people on my tour. I even have a new boyfriend too...his name is Aaron and he is 5 years old. Gosh I love this job! Please let me know which ship and when you and family will be here. I will put in the request for fabulous weather ahead of time!

What service! :)

We'll be there on Saturday, on our little tugboat, the Enchantment of the Seas (RCCL). My son will be sorry to know you're attached to the 5 yr old, but I'm sure he'll get over it! Can't wait!

~Lori

Lori...please tell your son that I hope to meet him personally at the TMM pier! I will try to be on that pier on Saturday instead of Puerta Maya. If not, I will be out on the island and will find you for sure! Remember, it's easy to spot me...I'm the only female tour guide. By the way, what is your son's name?

Archived