What is the weather like in LA?

lovebug33

Christmas is usually cool, and often rainy. Cool for here is the 40s during the night and the low 50s during the day. A heavy sweater is usually sufficient. Bring rain gear just in case.

On the other hand, if we get a Santa Ana condition like we had last weekend, it could be in the 80s during the day. It is still likely to dip down into the 40s late at night though.

TODAY, according to the LA Times, the high today downtown is 71...In Long Beach, it's 69...

Just a few days ago, it was in the 90s...

At Christmas, it's anyone's guess...

AT WORST, it's cold (50s) and rainy...

It NEVER snows here...

Climate is VERY predictable in May through September--always sunny, zero rain, always warm, very hot in July/August, extremely low humidity...

But during the "rainy season" (what little there is of it), it could be anything from just like August...to...well... actual rain...

It only rains here about 15 days a year, but it's often hard to predict which 15 days those are...I usually tell folks it's a week in November and a week in March, but the last few years, with the "El Nino" effect, it's been off a little...

Most years, however, Christmas to New Years is unseasonably warm and clear (think of all the Rose Bowl games and Rose Parades you've seen with the spectators all in shorts and T-shirts)...

I'd say, watch the weather forecasts for just before you leave and pack accordingly...Bring a light jacket and a sweatshirt and a small travel umbrella if you want to be sure...but you likely won't need them...except the jacket or sweat shirt maybe at night...

By the way, what's a "winter jacket"??? :)

By the way, what's a "winter jacket"??? :)

We saw winter jackets in a Macy's in Oahu, Hawaii. And Hawaii makes LA look cold.

Bought by people who travel to the '48'.

When we were in LA in October it got cool in the early evening and I saw all the locals in long sleeves and jackets/sweaters. We, as NYers, were in short sleeves and shorts, enjoying the balmy weather. I guess blood thins when you live in the warmer climes.

BTW Bruin Steve, thanks for your guidance in what-to-see about LA.

I have an album of LA pics referenced in my signature.

Do not leave home without a jacket or heavy sweater! I am one of those crazies who go to Disneyland every week and sits out in the cold at night (to watch the bands). My friends and I wear sweaters and scarves and we are still cold!

We were in Disneyland this year from Oct 29- Nov 4 and it was warmish during the day..we got cold at night and wore lightweight jackets...and we are from BC Canada.

We were there first week of last Dec we wore long shorts or capris with tee shirts during the day and jeans with long sleeve tee shirts and sweatshirts or light weight jackets at night.

Two years ago we were there for the Candlelight Procession and FROZE....OMG it was colder in Anaheim then it ws in BC. The gloves, scarves, jackets were all on ......I was so cold all weekend.Then the day we left it got warm again..;)

Archived