Can you walk onto a cruise for cheaper?

Greenapple

My family and I are thinking about taking a cruise in early January, leaving from Galveston, Texas. Carnival, Royal Caribbean and Norwegian all leave out of Galveston. Is it possible to show up at the port on the day of sailing and get onto a ship for cheaper? If so, how much of a discount can you expect to get?

My family and I are thinking about taking a cruise in early January, leaving from Galveston, Texas. Carnival, Royal Caribbean and Norwegian all leave out of Galveston. Is it possible to show up at the port on the day of sailing and get onto a ship for cheaper? If so, how much of a discount can you expect to get?

I dont believe you can do this anymore due to September 11th... I think I have read that there has to be so much time ahead so that a check can be made on you prior to departure.. They want to know who is coming on the ship and if they allow you to walk up and get on this cant be done.. I was thinking I've read this somewhere.. Maybe someone else can confirm this for you.. I think the closest you can book prior to departure is 2 days or something like that..

Celebrity just recently got a big fine and the ship (on arrival) was ordered out of the port because the time frame of notification was not met (Celebrity claimed that it was a problem with the Coast Guard computer).

I can look up the information about the exact number of days or hours but for sure you will not board just when you walk up to the ship and you did not book your cruise before.

Wes

I for one hope they never allow this! Just think of what could happen if just anyone were allowed to walk up and buy a ticket! It used to be two weeks prior to book, but with all of the unsold cabins nowadays, they allow you to book with only four days left to sail date.....jean

I didn't realize that there was a time limit like that. Why is it any different than purchasing a last-minute airline ticket?

So, does anyone have an idea as to how much of a discount you can get by purchasing a cruise last-minute? Is it possible to get a cruise half-price or less?

Cruise ships must submit their passenger manifest 72 hours prior to sailing, or the ship will not be allowed to dock at port. This happened to a Celebrity ship. Domestic (US)airlines and foreign-flagged cruiselines (non-US) operate under VERY different guidelines....they're not even closely related! If you're thinking about cruising in early January, you can expect to pay very high prices, because of the recent New Years' Holiday, and the fact that many people and students have the first and second week of January off. The third week of December through the second week of January are one of the most high-priced cruise prices of the year. If you really want to get a good deal, plan to cruise during the "off-season"...mid-Sept. through mid-Dec. (excluding Halloween and Thanksgiving). Just a curious question, Greenapple...have you cruised before? Thanks.

Hi.... yes, I have taken a cruise before - it was a Carnival Cruise the first week of January 2001. (prior to Sept 11). At that time, we found that the first week of January was the cheapest! So that is interesting that it is now more expensive. Thanks everyone for your advice.

Archived