Luggage Tags for GTY room

sunflowerstarr

I know this has been asked before but I could not seem to find it. I paid for a guarantee cabin. I have my room assignment but I do know it is suobject to change up until the time we get on the ship. Do I put in the assigned room number or leave it blank? The people at cedar grove are just their attendents and not the HAL ones. I just dont want to be missing my luggage too much on the first night. Thanks all!

Fill out the luggage tags with your name/address etc.

Leave the cabin number space blank and when you arrive at the dock, you can ask any of the longshoremen who handle the luggage to check their manifest for verification of your cabin number. They all have a copy of the ship's manifest. At that time, you can enter cabin number on all your tags.

Have a great cruise.

The only thing that concerns me is the last time we were at cedar grove they had their attendants not HAL's and they said they didnt have access. We parked in cedar grove, took a bus to nauticus and then boarded. our luggage was already in the process of being crated and loaded.

Always.....every port, they have port longshoremen. There are very strict rules about at which point of boarding luggage can HAL crew touch it. It is always port workers they handle it ashore and they have access to manifests.

Ask them to get a manifest and find your name and verify your cabin number. I'm sure you would plan on tipping the person who was handling your luggage and if they see some cash in your hand, I don't think you'll have any problem getting their assistance. That is what they are there to do.

Why do you think the cabin number that shows on your guaranty is not accurate?

I didnt say I dont think its accurate, I said the advice I got here is that the assignment can change up until the time I get to the pier with the guarantee. I cant remember the amount of posts I have read telling people who book them not to get too excited about their room assignment because it can still change.

I guess they could try to relocate my bags after I get off the shuttle from the parking lot. The parking attendents were very helpful with helping us get our flat tire fixed but were not very helpful as far as luggage. We didnt have enough tags and didnt worry because all the message boards said you could get more when you get there. We asked and they said we would have to talk to Carnival about that. By the time we got there and unloaded the luggage was already crated up which resulted in lost luggage. That is more my concern. That could be cleared up if we have someone drop us off and pick us up, but I think my friend wanted us to park there. Hes convinced we will be waiting a long time if we have someone pick us up. However it would be cheaper and we'd get to talk to the actual HAL attendants.

We had a GTY on Rotterdam. We did not know what our room assignment was when we left for Greece to stay with my wife's family for 10 days prior to the cruise. I had no access to a PC so when we got to the pier, our room number was blank on our tags. I asked when I got to the pier and they gave me the room number. I filled it out on the spot, no problem. we boarded, our room was ready and we were directed right to it. Our luggage showed up within 15 minutes.

I was upgraded twice on a cruise, and my tags had the original cabin number. So even if you fill that out, your bags will still find you.

It seems they do a good job of keeping track of things like that (guess those on board go by the pax's last name .... that's my theory :D )

Have a good time!

On our Alaska cruise this year we were upgraded at the pier - after our luggage had been taken from us. The lady checking us in told us to go to the front desk as soon as we got on the ship and notify them of our upgrade and they would make sure that our luggage was directed to the new cabin - not the one on the luggage tags. We did this and got our luggage before the life boat drill. I was a bit nervous until the luggage showed up but now I know how things work. We'd be happy to accept an upgrade again anytime because I know my luggage will find us;)

If you have a cabin number assigned, put it on the tags. If it does get changed, notify the front desk, as was mentioned earlier, and also tell your room steward what your cabin number was and how many bags. That way he will know exactly where to look if they don't show up in his section. On our recent Prinsendam cruise we were upgraded at the pier. I didn't think about the luggage at the time and didn't mention it to the concierge. When the cabin steward saw us bringing our carryon luggage into the cabin, he asked how many more we were expecting. I told him how many and what color and what cabin they had originally been assigned to. He said he would be right back, and was in just a few minutes with both bags.

Yes, folks, the cabin numbers do get changed on Guarentees. On our last cruise on the Maasdam, we had one cabin number show up on our immigration form about two weeks before sailing. The night before we left, I checked again before we printed out our Express boarding passes, and sure enough, we had been upgraded again.

If you can, checking your immigration form online at the last minute may give you a little advance warning.

We make up our own computer address labels with all the information requested on the luggage tag, name, address, telephone number and sailing date. We just paste these on the luggage tags.

We also make up a separate tag in about a 40 font with the cabin number and paste that on the luggage tag so the cabin number is highly visable. And we take a few blank labels with us in case we have to cover that over and write on a new cabin number. We keep a magic marker in our carry on so we can make a large readable number.

Anyway, the first time we sailed on HAL, we did not have a cabin number when we boarded the ship. The guys on the pier looked up the cabin number on the manifest and fixed the problem. And we did tip the guy for the service.

Thanks for the help all. I will follow the advice and put the assignment we have down now and if it changes will remember to let someone know. It would be nice to get another upgrade but I am prefectly happy with what we got and just to be on there.

Thanks also BumperII, I knew people had told me that and I was beginning to feel like an idiot.

Update on Mariner tags -- I emailed HAL about tags (and the "waitlist" on early dining...we actually are not waitlisted, but that's another story), and here's their response:

Dear Mariner:

We are sorry you did not receive the Mariner Society bag tags and buttons with your travel documents. These will be sent to you right away.

We have applied your Mariner ID numbers to your reservation. Mariner bag tags and buttons are automatically put into your document package when your Mariner number is in your reservation record.

Hubby and I did the doc dance about 2 weeks ago, but HAL and the TA didn't have the Mariner tags in our doc billfold. Big mystery solved (such that it was! LOL) When I spoke with the nice HAL rep by phone about the dining times, I asked her when we would know about our cabin assignment. She said usually 5 days before sailing, but confirmed the longer the wait, the bigger the chance for an upgrade. We're keeping our fingers crossed! :o

Archived