Viking China?

skandls

We've done it both ways, land cruise and Viking China river cruise and liked the river cruise better. You'd still get to see the major cities, Beijing, Shanghai, and Xian, and if you do the extension, Guilin and Hong Kong. The stops were very interesting, and we definitely got to see way more of the country in a very easy, relaxing way without packing, unpacking and lots of flights.

we are set to go on the viking river sun on 4/22/07.

some of hte other lines were a littel cheaper but as I read the tour they also charge for some extra stuff and it looked like everyting but the tipping was included.

is any one else out there on our cruise?/

any suggestions from anyone. thanks Linda and Tim

Cruised with Viking in China this past summer. Hotels were all top notch.

Started each day (in hotel) with extraordinary breakfast buffets each morning. Viking has the right pace of touring, shopping & getting to know fellow passengers. We were very happy with non-stops flights to and from Chicago. Chicago has more than even the west coast cities.

My friend, Pat, and I are on the Viking Cultural Delights cruise next August which we booked right after we returned from our Viking Russian cruise. We loved riverboat cruising -- it's very different from the other cruising I'm familiar with. While on our Russian cruise, we met several people who had been on the China cruise and raved about it. That really impressed us.

One of the reasons we picked this summer instead of next summer is that the Olympic Games are next summer and China is going to be packed with tourists. Also, I believe the Yangtse dams will be active so we weren't sure if we'd have the opportunity to do the same type of cruise again. We wanted the extra days on the river. Pat went to Beijing and Shanghai while on a cruise this past June and she really wanted to see the country, which we expect/hope to do on this cruise.

• 2 weeks later...
we are set to go on the viking river sun on 4/22/07.

some of hte other lines were a littel cheaper but as I read the tour they also charge for some extra stuff and it looked like everyting but the tipping was included.

any suggestions from anyone. thanks Linda and Tim

Linda & Tim:

Bring $1.00 bills with you - great for tipping here and there.

Our ship had 220w electricity and I don't know if the newer Viking ships are different - I doubt it.

Internet - if you use it - is slow on the ship - has to do with the fact that you were between the cliffs on the Yangtze.

Everything was included in our trip - the hotels were 4 or 5 stars including the Westin in Shanghai.

Want to go back to China and Viking but this time I would take the Guilin extension!

I am looking at the Viking Imperial Jewels of China trip. Does anyone have any imput on the 10 day vs. the 11 day trip? I can't seem to find any difference in the itinerary between the two, except one goes one

direction and one goes the other. Thanks for any help.

Dorothy

• 3 weeks later...

We are considering a River Cruise to China on Viking and was concerned over the cost but from what I see it is worth it. We were wondering if the alcohol is extra on-board or is it inclusive. It seems very all inclusive otherwise. We like to do things on our own too and were wondering if there is time to go about on our own in some of the locations?

The website says the dress is casual, what does this translate into? Does this mean slacks for ladies or dresses? Probably starting something with that question, sorry.

I was thinking of booking my own flight verses doing it though them (Viking ) any thoughts on that one?

Early stages of thinking on this one since it is still 9 months until we go, any info would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Woo:)

First of all, 9 months is NOT early. Some of these trips fill a year in advance. While hotel accommodations won't be involved, the selection of a cabin on the ship may be limited if you wait.

We traveled with Viking to China in September, 2005 and were delighted. I posted a journal at http://www.travelblog.org/Bloggers/cmthomas/ that may be of interest to you. Also, there are many messages on this Board about trips to China and they are full of good info.

As to dress, I decided to take them at their word and did not even take a sport jacket or tie with me. That was a good decision as they were not needed. China is a very informal country. My wife took no dresses and was most comfortable in shorts and slacks for the entire trip. It was quite warm so I stayed mostly in shorts and when I wanted to "dress-up" put on a pair of khaki slacks!

I can't speak to Viking's air arrangments as we did our own as you are contemplating. We arrived a day early into Beijing and spent the first night after a late evening arrival in a hotel near the airport rather than tackle a trip into town. The next day we utilized the hotel's courtesy bus to get into town and then took a cab to the hotel at minimal cost. Our trip ended in Shanghai with only one day to see such a marvelous city so we booked an additional 2 days to be on our own and for us it was the right thing to do. We strolled and shopped and visited with a friend met on the Internet before going and had a wonderful time.

As to alcohol on board the ship, my memory tells me that it was not included although at some dinners they did serve wine. I am sure that there is no problem with BYOB if that is your desire.

This is a BUSY trip. There is litle time left over for independant sightseeing during the days included in the tour. Another good reason for adding some days in front and on the end. By providing full days you get to see so much more than could possibly be seen on your own. In addition, unless you speak the language, independant travel in all but the tourist areas might be difficult.

By all means GO! It is a great trip whichever itinerary you chose. We selected the itinerary that inlcuded Tibet. That itinerary provided only 4 days and 3 nights on the river but we felt that was adequate. There is so much to be seen away from the river. Just think of this as your FIRST trip to China as you will certainly want to return!

Clarence:)

• 2 months later...
My friend, Pat, and I are on the Viking Cultural Delights cruise next August which we booked right after we returned from our Viking Russian cruise. .

Hi Pam in MA and Pat, :)

My husband and I will be on the same river cruise in August. So far you are the only ones that I find going on those dates. Sooner or later there will be a "Roll Call", I imagine.

We are looking forward to it very much. Have been on many ocean cruises but this is the first river cruise and the first to China.

I assume MA stands for Massachusetts. We live in Quebec.

Take care,

Happytotravel :)

Jean & Peter

Hi Jean and Peter and welcome. It is nice to know some fellow travelers before getting on board.

Pam and I and two others on the trip actually had dinner Sunday evening to begin some serious planning for this trip. My son's Mother-in-law, Eva, and Pam's best friend, Day, are also going and we know of another couple from the Cape Cod area who have booked this as well. I sounds fabulous and we are very much looking forward to it.

This board has helped with some great information. I hope we'll get more activity as we get a bit closer. Yes, MA is Massachusetts!!

Pat

Did you know that there is another board here just for Viking China? Go to "other cruise lines" and you will find many pages on these trips. My brother and I are booked on "Imperial Jewels of China" departing June 16. So far have not heard of anyone else from Cruise Critics who are on this trip. Will post when we return.

Dorothy

Hi Jean and Peter and welcome. It is nice to know some fellow travelers before getting on board.

Pam and I and two others on the trip actually had dinner Sunday evening to begin some serious planning for this trip. My son's Mother-in-law, Eva, and Pam's best friend, Day, are also going and we know of another couple from the Cape Cod area who have booked this as well. I sounds fabulous and we are very much looking forward to it.

This board has helped with some great information. I hope we'll get more activity as we get a bit closer. Yes, MA is Massachusetts!!

Pat

Hi Pat, :)

Well, it seems you have quite a group going with you. At least I know there will be at least 10 of us on the ship. The itinerary really looks great and it will be quite a trip.

This website is really full of great information. When we first booked this cruise I was a bit apprehensive thinking of going to China. It seemed somewhere in another universe. But, after reading the different posts, I began to realize that many, many people do go there, actually we too have friends going there in April, and its not so different from going to other countries, just maybe a bit more exotic.

We are on a transatlantic cruise with NCL in April so much of our thoughts are headed in that direction for the moment. But, August isn't really that far away after our return.

Let us know when you get your air tickets etc. We may, somehow, get on the same flight.

Happytotravel :)

Jean & Peter

• 3 weeks later...

cmthomas: Did your wife mind the shorts or slacks when using the squat toilets or did you not run into any? I understand that that is all they have at the major sites: Great Wall for example. Thanks. Marlyne

PS: I have read and loved your blogs - so helpful.

Our Viking guide was very good at locating "western" facilities for us everywhere we went. Well, almost everywhere. I can remember one restaurant where there was no option but it is less of a problem for males.

Checked with the spouse and she confirmed that she was successful in avoiding "eastern" style facilities but then she has great "staying" power if you know what I mean!

We were not so fortunate on an earlier trip to Bangkok and it is indelibly impressed upon my memory. Not a pleasant experience. It is still a good idea to save a few rolls that have been about 90% consumed (makes it easier to carry). In some facilities the "monitor" collects a fee and hands you a piece of tissue - literally!

Hope you have a wonderful trip. It is a delightful experience!

Clarence:)

Lida and Tm hear again

I guess I have missed a few posts but is anyone else going 4/22/07

we fly inon saturday night and have booked al extra night at the same hoter we should be at on sunday for the begining of our trip maybe we can get some extra sleep

Archived