How does HAL handle price reductions?

Iamthesea

We are looking into a Westerdam cruise in February. The prices seem a little steep for that time frame and for us (just moved into a new home.) My parents (in their 80's) really want to take a cruise soon, but DH and I were not thinking about cruising until next September. My father said that is too far in the future for him. :(

What are your thoughts, or what have others experienced with price drops or gains for cruises in the winter months? Since it is almost December, what are the chances that a mid February cruise will drop in price? Or, will it go up?

If we go ahead and book now, does HAL give refunds for price differences if there is a drop?

Thanks for all your help! :)

The third week of Feb. is spring break for most Eastern and Midwest schools, elementary on up; learned this the hard way, we are from Calif.

Don't know the answer to your second question. I've read there can be many variables, too numerous for me to remember, if you search this board you'll find the threads.

We would be going the second week in Feb.

Our spring break is not until mid March and we live in the southeast. I have not heard of a spring break being as early as mid Feb. I think some schools have a winter break around Presidents week (which may be the week we are thinking of :eek: ).

I have found out that final payment for this cruise is December 5th, so perhaps the price will drop somewhat soon thereafter!

Here's a link to current sales on the Westerdam for Feb 07: http://crm.hollandamerica.com/broadbaseema/HA3129/email/2006/11-03-06/CB_ap_us.htm

The sailing on the 4th has some oceanviews left, all verandas are gone. The 11th sailing has VFs at a decent price. 18th sailing is about the same. Best fares are on oceanviews for the 4th sailing.

Did a quick check on an Outside E for the Feb 4th sailing:

Westerdam Feb 4th, 07 (price for 2)

E outside:

On-line TA: $1,791.38

HAL Mariner direct: $1,803.38

Not sure if these are the prices you've been seeing. I doubt there will be a price drop at this point. Looks like the big sales were in July 06.

Usually, the 2nd and 3rd weeks of February are a prime vacation period. I would guess that most cruises are pretty fully booked by now and the chances of prices coming down slim. It's a matter of supply and demand. If there's demand and little supply, you won't see bargain prices.

If we go ahead and book now, does HAL give refunds for price differences if there is a drop?

My experience with Cunard, HAL and Crystal is that they will protect early bookings against price reductions. However, my experience has also been that they won't volunteer giving you the reduction - you have to keep yourself aware of it by checking all their mailings and their website.

I'm pretty sure that they will not give you a reduction to match last-minute price cuts or specials by consolidators (travel agents who specialize in selling blocks of unsold space).

As NHbob said, you have to track the price drops on your own after booking. Our cruise went from $3200 (per couple) for a VD veranda to $2700, we got that reduction. Then another sale came along that allowed us to get a GTY VF with Hometown Motorcoach servce for $2100. The catch there was we had to cancel the first booking and re-book. This was not a problem with HAL direct booking as there is no cancellation fee if it is before the "Final Payment Due" date. That is not the case with most TAs, they will smack you with a fee so be careful about that, you may not get any savings. So finally, we got a VB in the vicinity of the aft elevators on the Upper Veranda Deck. I'm pleased with the outcome as a VB would have cost us twice that per couple.

If we book, I will keep track. Any if there are certain days that rates get changed?

You can sign up for e-mails on sales from HAL on their web site. That's how I get a "Heads Up". All those sales I spoke of for winter caribbean cruises happened between May and July.

Archived