Spirits on HAL

findwaldo

Yes, you can. You have a couple of choices in how you go about it, too.

You can call Ship Services in advance at 1-800-541-1576 and order; I believe you put the charge on a credit card.

Or, you can wait until you are aboard and order it from Room Service or any bar. That charge would go on your ship account.

I noticed in the folder in the room, they had a price list for alcohol and mixers. They high gross you. Approximately, 2-3 times what you'd pay at home. Moderate selection.

I packed 2 bottles of wine in my carry on. I packed a bottle a tequila in my suitcase and it was not a problem.

While ship services tells you that you may order a bottle at any bar, the bartenders all said no...must use room service. You may order just the bottle, or bottle and mixers.

Ship services will e-mail or fax you their complete list...and it does include the 15% service fee. The list in the cabin is slightly lower, but THEN they add the 15%, so comes out a wash...the BIG difference, we discovered on our last cruise, is that ship services didn't have our preordered set-up in our cabin. We called the front desk, who said they'd check into it. After the 8 p.m. dinner, it still was not there. Tried the bars to purchase a bottle, and they looked at me like I had a third eye...so, called room service and it was immediately delivered! Spent more wasted time at the front desk wrangling the charge from ship services and finally had them issue an onboard credit at the end of the cruise.:cool:

I personally didn't think the charges were grossly out of line, especially considering the added weight in your luggage and the thought of breakage! I love a great scotch, but I don't want to wear it!:D

Thank you for the information everyone. I am kinda parital to my Baileys and coffee in the morning, and a nite cap to boot.

I will try giving them a call to see what they have, otherwise, the suitcase will be a little bit heavier.

Cheers !!

Oh -- another thing -- you didn't mention which port you are sailing from.

If you decide to wait and order a bottle from room service, and you are sailing out of a Florida port, and you don't wait until the ship is 10 miles out to sea, they will add on another 6% Florida tax (besides the regular 15% gratuity).

We are sailing out of Ft.Lauderdale Florida.

So in other words if I am going to order a bottle, should i do it before we set sail? or just grab it before we board, and put it in my bags?

Please let me know.

Thanks.

Just grab it before you board and pack it in your heavy baggage, but don't tell anybody I said so :D

Archived