Voyager Pod problems

cburger100

I just called Regent's information line . . . the operator said that the Voyager is under repair right now but they have no information about the December 4 sailing. She told me to call back this afternoon for an update.

If you look at Regent's website, it shows that they have a December 7, 11 and 14 sailing for the Voyager . . . each of them a seven-day cruise. Looks like both the December 4 and the December 11 sailings are in jeopardy. . .

Well, this was going to be our first cruise, but I guess we'll give up on cruising, too unpredictable. This just showed up on "My Cruises" (thought the link goes to a blank page):

Booking Number :

Last Name :

First Name :

Suite Number :

Freeport to Ft Lauderdale, FL on Seven Seas Voyager

Freeport to Ft Lauderdale, FL

7 Nights

Departs December 04, 2006

I too was on the 12/4 Voyager cruise. I understand the offer for the cancellation is either the 12/18 or 12/29 cruise at the same fare, or a full refund and a credit against a future cruise. Has anyone heard anything different and how much is the credit?

I am waiting for a call from my travel agent to see what class I would be able to get one of the later December departures, before making a decision. I was in an "E" on the 12/4.

Ragnar,

This is why I asked about the amount offered as a credit on a future cruise. I wondered if it was a little like being offered an amount to volunteer on a full flight. The compensation rises until they get enough people to take it.

I also heard $500, but it appears that you were offered more. Did you get that figure from your TA, or direct from RSSC?

I was booked on the 12/4 Voyager cruise. My travel agent said that I could rebook for the 12/11 Voyager cruise and receive a $700 refund (not shipboard credit) per person. I could have rebooked on the 12/18 or 12/29 ten-day cruises for the same price, but the holiday dates don't work for me. I had originally booked an "H" level cabin, but had gotten an upgrade to an "F" . . . hopefully that'll hold on the December 11 sailing.

As it turns out, Regent won't offer me the $700 per person refund for transferring to the 12/11 cruise -- though it sounds like it's still an option for other passengers. I booked my cruise using super cheap "interline" rates, and Regent won't offer me a refund based on my discounted rate. Too bad for them, because I'm confident I would have spent the $700 on spa treatments on the ship . . . now, I'm not so sure. (I'm still going to go on the 12/11 trip)

Based upon what I heard in talking to the RSSC person, I would not count on the 12/11 sailing making it either. Sounds like a major problem, so I won't count on a 12/11 sailing.

I'm just going to take the refund. And charge any fees I encounter with airline or hotels to the RegentCare folks.

So much for cruising, time to plan a land-based caribbean vacation.

Not to be crass, but I don't think the $700 per person credit to a future cruise is adequate compensation. We and I'm sure others have considerable out of pocket costs. Shouldn't Regent recognize this and provide more than a refund and a future cruise credit. Perhaps a free cruise with airfare would be reasonable. What do those involved in this cancellation think?

If you got the RegentCare travel insurance, I think it will cover airline cancellation fees, up to $1,000.

But I think you are in for an uphill battle to get more than the $700 credit. Let us know if you are successful.

I had a two week+ itinerary set up, with multiple hotels, rental car, and first/business-class flights via frequent-flier miles (impossible to get new seats this close to the changes), plus was going to visit my ailing mother, so we are really screwed (excuse my french).

Is that what they are saying? Full refund of this cruise and just a $700 credit for a future cruise? Or is it a full refund on this cruise, a free cruise on one of the other cruises this month, AND a $700 credit for a future cruise? If it is the previous, then I agree that is not adequate compensation for disrupting somebody's plans this close to sailing.

We are on the Navigator on 12/11 and we would be very upset if we found out that our cruise had been cancelled.

Marienbad,

I would think your out of pocket costs would be reimbursed under your travel insurance. Not sure about your particular policy, but I know I've read of other folks who got reimbursed in these circumstances.

So sorry to hear about this happening. I'm sure it's a huge disappointment for everyone. At least they are offering the $700 - lately it seems like cruises are getting cancelled left and right and folks are receiving little if any compensation.

Based upon what I heard in talking to the RSSC person, I would not count on the 12/11 sailing making it either. Sounds like a major problem, so I won't count on a 12/11 sailing.

We are on the Dec 11 Voyager sailing and are getting very nervous. OUr party has booked 2 cabins, used airmiles for business class international flights, hotels, etc.

What did RSSC say to lead you to believe that 12/11 might be cancelled too? We called them today and the rep we talked to sounded extremely confident that the 11th would be a go (plus if they are offering the 12/4 cruisers a 12/11 replacement they should hopefully be sure that the ship will sail!).

I'm sorry to hear you are planning a landbased trip instead of cruising - it really is a great experience on Regent - but I think I'd do the same if I were in your predicament.

We are on the Dec 11 Voyager sailing and are getting very nervous. OUr party has booked 2 cabins, used airmiles for business class international flights, hotels, etc.

What did RSSC say to lead you to believe that 12/11 might be cancelled too? We called them today and the rep we talked to sounded extremely confident that the 11th would be a go (plus if they are offering the 12/4 cruisers a 12/11 replacement they should hopefully be sure that the ship will sail!).

I'm sorry to hear you are planning a landbased trip instead of cruising - it really is a great experience on Regent - but I think I'd do the same if I were in your predicament.

We are on the Dec 11 Voyager sailing and are getting very nervous.

I am as well. It is our honeymoon cruise and I would not be very happy if at the last minute I am scrambling for an alternative.

As for RSSC not yet fessing up as to a potential cancellation, we can all hope for the best but cruise lines are not known for being forthcoming with these types of issues. Look at X who has continuous problems.

Received this via email from Regent:

FORT LAUDERDALE, FL (November 27, 2006). The Seven Seas Voyager entered a scheduled 10-night dry-dock in Freeport, Bahamas on November 20 as part of the general maintenance program that is scheduled every two and a half years to update the safety certificates of the vessel and to perform technical work that cannot be carried out while the ship is in normal operation.

During a regular inspection of the vessel’s diesel electric motors by the manufacturer’s attending technicians, some damage to the electrical connections was observed. Upon further review, it was determined that both motors needed to be disassembled and repaired prior to the ship re-entering service. The required spare parts and additional technical assistance have been flown from the manufacturer in Europe. Unfortunately, in order to complete the repairs, the ship must remain in dry-dock for an additional eleven nights.

The result of this extended dry-dock is that the next two scheduled cruise departures of the ship, a four-night cruise on November 30 and a seven-night cruise on December 4, both from Fort Lauderdale, have been cancelled. The ship will pick up its published schedule in Port Everglades on December 11.

The line is in the process of contacting the guests booked on these cruises to offer them a full refund of their cruise fares and an incentive to re-book a future Regent Seven Seas voyage.

I just spoke with RSSC and they are confident that the 12-11 sailing will go as planned. Although there are no guarantees when it comes to pod problems, I think the outlook is positive.

Also, the sailing will likely be more full which can be a good thing! It was pretty light when we booked 6 weeks ago.

See you all onboard!

I just spoke with RSSC and they are confident that the 12-11 sailing will go as planned. Although there are no guarantees when it comes to pod problems, I think the outlook is positive.

Also, the sailing will likely be more full which can be a good thing! It was pretty light when we booked 6 weeks ago.

See you all onboard!

Quite apart from the pod problems, it was good to hear from you caviargal, and to know that you can surface from your honeymoon suite long enough to send us a message!

Yes. I agree with you, the outlook is good, especially as Regent are booking some of the cruisers from the 4 Dec sailing onto the 11 Dec sailing.

Keep taking the caviare!!:p

Quite apart from the pod problems, it was good to hear from you caviargal, and to know that you can surface from your honeymoon suite long enough to send us a message!

Yes. I agree with you, the outlook is good, especially as Regent are booking some of the cruisers from the 4 Dec sailing onto the 11 Dec sailing.

Keep taking the caviare!!:p

OrpingtonT, we returned home last night from our wedding cruise. The weather was simply perfect and everything worked out flawlessly:).

I was disappointed in Celebrity this time around and therefore am looking forward to RSSC and the Voyager even more:).

Safe travels and see you onboard!

Archived